Split Arrow

The DPS display only accounts for a single hit (and is useless when comparing different skills ramble ramble).
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 1, 2013, 12:37:30 PM
split arrow cant damage the same target more than once tho, so the dps is correct for a single target
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
"
Amiag wrote:
the dps is correct for a single target

Hahaha.

-Chain allows Split to hit the same target multiple times
-Stacking Ignite and/or Shock increases damage output, but isn't reflected in the DPS display
-Armor and Resistances are ignored
-Defender Evasion is just kinda guessed and as such wrong for many monsters
-Arrows can be sidestepped

The DPS is never correct.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 4, 2013, 11:28:10 AM
those things happens with any other skill, i dont see what this has to do with split arrow
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
"
Amiag wrote:
those things happens with any other skill, i dont see what this has to do with split arrow
thats the point, dps is wrong for most skills due to those reasons. split arrow is not an exception.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
Amiag wrote:
thats the point, dps is wrong for most skills due to those reasons. split arrow is not an exception.

^This. You said the DPS display was "correct" when facing a single target, which is definitely not true. It's not specific to Split Arrow, but neither is the lack of shotgunning, is it. :)
With chain, it should hit each enemy an average of 3 times (easiest to explain on 2 enemies each will get hit by one arrow, which will chain twice resulting in 6 hits for 2 enemies). The tooltip is just there to give a baseline for you to use to calculate what damage you do.

You won't hit with all arrows most of the time, so it's certainly not a simple multiplication.

But, back to the point. As a level 80 ranger with a passive build for split arrow, my feedback is that lightning arrow is still a superior choice for damage due to it's lower cost and more importantly that it's bonus when leveling up is 3% projectile damage instead of 3% physical damage. Unless you do 100% physical damage (no items or auras for elemental damage), lightning arrow will be better.

Please don't allow this skill to remain bland. Make it special or at least comparable by changing it's bonus to projectile damage.
Could/should SA be programmed to ignore the closest enemy when calculating its spreading arc?
Thus, for instance, a fast rare running at your heels wouldn't make the arc open up to 180° with the outmost arrows then hitting nothing at all.
Permantently having to use QS flask just to gain a little space from those fast ones for a decent SA spread angle is an unnecessary heavy drain, I think.
You can also blind-fire it..

The proposed change would only make a difference if there is only one monster nearby and others much further, which is a fringe case at best.
Blind-firing mobs is ok in open maps with enough lateral movement space, but hard to achieve in dungeons with small rooms, narrow passages/doorways, etc., which is quite often the case.
The one mob at your feet (even if only ankle-high) will absorb the target, opening up the arc spread so that the outer arrows uselessly hit the side walls.
I don't feel this scenario is that uncommon in dungeons and omitting the closest mob from the spread calc would improve the effectiveness of SA in such confined spaces without breaking the game-play.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info