Shield Charge

"
Rowsol wrote:
Cmon man, give me and the countless others having this problem a little credit. Shield charge is on the left click. I can hit 10 times in a row and not a single one hits, but if I move a little they will start hitting again. When you get too close to the enemy, basically right on top of him, it stops hitting.

I think the problem is is less to do with shield charge and more to do with lag.
I notice it sometimes on my fireball guy; sometimes enemies who appear to be far from each other will both get hit by the explosion and sometimes enemies who are right on top of each other won't.
This is honestly the biggest reason I don't play melee characters.

lemme try to explain myself...
Spoiler
Disclaimer: I'm making shit up.
If I'm right, PoE masks some of the disconnect in monster location displayed/actual by treating projectiles as areas rather than as on-hit objects.
Suppose my archer fires an arrow directly to the side, let's define this as 90 degrees.
In order to deal with the thing that you're shooting at not being exactly where you shot at, the engine gives the projectile an area, say it checks between 87~93.
If you understand geometry, you'll see that this gives a wider area at long range than at short.
At short range however, the possible change in mob location is much more noticeable and thus much easier to miss. Thus, attacking at short range can cause attacks to randomly miss.
If we assume that shield charge, which is a mobile attack, works the same way...

Mad ramblings aside, have you tried testing this on one of the other gateways Chris? If I'm right and it is a lag issue, then you testing on your NZ based test server would never come across it.
Last edited by Duodecimus on Nov 28, 2012, 5:43:26 PM
"
Duodecimus wrote:
If I'm right, PoE masks some of the disconnect in monster location displayed/actual by treating projectiles as areas rather than as on-hit objects.
Suppose my archer fires an arrow directly to the side, let's define this as 90 degrees.
In order to deal with the thing that you're shooting at not being exactly where you shot at, the engine gives the projectile an area, say it checks between 87~93.
If you understand geometry, you'll see that this gives a wider area at long range than at short.
At short range however, the possible change in mob location is much more noticeable and thus much easier to miss. Thus, attacking at short range can cause attacks to randomly miss.
If we assume that shield charge, which is a mobile attack, works the same way...
For the record, this isn't true at all, for projectiles or shield charge.
Damn.
Could've sworn I was psychic.
Maybe I shouldn't listen to everything the voices say...
The first time I used this skill I absolutely fell in love.

The mobility, the animation, that sound. everything. I can never go back to not using a shield ever again.

This and leap slam are by far my two favorite skills in the game. For best results combine the two.

Unfortunately I have an old CRT monitor with low native resolution so my game can't zoom out too far, so I rarely get the opportunity to use this max range. Although, I never miss that opportunity when I do get it :p
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
Just my 5 cents.

I utilize Tempest shield constantly, and i'd think it should have an effect with shield charge.

The idea of Tempest Shield is that you deal lightning damage every time you block and attack, it seems reasonable that charging into someone with your shield would also cause said lightning damage :)
A question: Does this spell does 100% of your physical damage when you're in melee range or is it based off your armor, or the armor of your shield, or something else?
It's a melee hit. The description mentions it's a melee strike.
Here's a vague idea for a build:

Shield Charge is a bit fiddly and it's single-target, but it hits extremely hard if you get a good run-up.

The Burning effect is great with infrequent but heavy hits. You need to deal fire damage of course, but it's not hard to pump up the fire damage on weapon attacks. Also it causes some monsters to run away, which is annoying for most melee chars but perfect for Shield Charge. You can also use Shield Charge to run away yourself while your enemies burn to death.

With Elemental Proliferation and a good chance to ignite, you can turn any attack into a source of AoE damage. (Caveat: I don't know how it works with attacks that instantly kill the target. You might have to fine-tune your damage output.)

Shield Charge never misses, so you can forego accuracy without resorting to Resolute Technique. That opens the way for a crit-heavy build for even more damage (or more plausibly, situational use of Diamond Flasks for when you encounter exceptionally tough monsters).

Phase Run is too fiddly to use as a damage booster on most attacks, but it makes a lot of sense if you're going for the One Big Hit, which is the idea here. Plus the faster run speed is a great thing to have on a skill that involves charging all over the screen.

Has anyone tried something like this?
I had exactly the same idea for Open Beta, actually :)

Just for kicks I had specced an old character to this, linking Shield Charge to Faster Attacks. You thought Extra Fast Rhoa were hard to dodge? :P
"
Neotician wrote:
Just my 5 cents.

I utilize Tempest shield constantly, and i'd think it should have an effect with shield charge.

The idea of Tempest Shield is that you deal lightning damage every time you block and attack, it seems reasonable that charging into someone with your shield would also cause said lightning damage :)

I agree with this, after all it makes sense.

Also on a more personal note i think the sound of shield charge is a bit dull. It needs to have a bigger impact, a less muffled and louder one.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info