• Min Cold: 11
  • Max Cold: 27
  • Increased Elemental Damage: 24%
  • Increased Light Damage: 10%

Your Skills:
  • Elemental Damage: 138%
  • Fire Damage: 84%

Total Strength: 332 = 66.4% physical

(Some rounding issues here, but this should be accurate)
Infernal Blow:
Min Physical = 66 * (1 + 0.42 + 0.664) * 1.12 * 0.5 = 77
Max Physical = 110 * "" = 117

Fire = converted physical + base fire damage
converted = 66 * (1 + 0.42 + 0.664 + 0.24 + 1.38 + 0.84) * 1.12 * 0.5 = 167.9
base = 35 * (1 + 0.24 + 1.38 + 0.84) * 1.12 = 135.6
Min Fire = 304 (531 if you have weapon Ele damage on it)
Max Fire = 495 (865 with weapon ele)

Cold = dmg * (1 + 0.24 + 1.38) * 1.12 =
32-79 (56-139 with weapon ele)

Lightning = dmg * (1 + 0.24 + 0.1 * 1.38) * 1.12 =
18-213 (32-373 with weapon ele)

So all of the "75% more" numbers match up exactly with what you listed for Infernal Blow, so I assume that the numbers you listed were with the skill linked to Weapon Elemental Damage.

Glacial Hammer:
Min Physical = 66 * (1 + 0.42 + 0.664) * 1.25 * 0.5 = 86
Max Physical = 100 * "" = 130

Fire = damage * (1 + 0.24 + 1.38 + 0.84) * 1.25 * 1.75 = 265-469

Lightning = damage * (1 + 0.24 + 0.1 + 1.38) * 1.25 * 1.75 = 36-417

Cold Damage is like what we did above, we have to add in the physical that's converted to the base damage.
phys * (1 + 0.42 + 0.664 + 0.24 + 1.38) * 1.25 * 1.75 =
267-405
cold * (1 + 0.24 + 1.38) * 1.25 * 1.75 = 63-155
Total Cold = 330-560

Again, matches up exactly with your numbers. As you can see (most clearly with the pure physical damage portion) Glacial Hammer has a 1.25 multiplier on it, and Infernal Blow only has a 1.12 multiplier on it.

So, yes, your 84% bonus fire damage is factoring in.

Hopefully Mark can comment on this and let me know where I messed up that made my numbers 1-5 higher than yours (the game must not carry fractions or something).
TehHammer is not a crime!
I'd just like to thank Mark & Rabbit for taking the time to walk through this with me. It was great to see you in-game rabbit!
Mark, I hope you guys can take this feedback and maybe rebalance these skills. Usually cold is the *less* damaging skill, not more!
Last edited by jazmatik_weapon on Jul 8, 2012, 11:39:13 AM
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
Hopefully Mark can comment on this and let me know where I messed up that made my numbers 1-5 higher than yours (the game must not carry fractions or something).
Thanks for taking he time to do this. I will look over it in more detail soon (got some urgent crashes in the new patch to fix for alpha) - the only thing which stands out immediately is that the increase from strength is 66%, not 66.4%
The reason for this is that the physical damage increase you get from strength is a (calculated) stat, and stats can only have integer values. So when it says that 5 strength grants 1% increased physical melee damage, it means exactly that - you get a whole 1% increase for each whole 5 strength, nothing for leftover parts.

Within the calculation of a stat, floating point maths can be, and is, used, but the individual stats which are inputs to it are all integers, as is the calculated value. In this case, the "strength" stat is used to calculate the "physical damage increase from strength" stat, and the (integer) value of that stat is what's used in calculating the various damage stats - they don't query strength directly.

@jazmatik_weapon -sorry for taking the extra day to get back to you - I was off work sick yesterday.
"
I'd just like to thank Mark & Rabbit for taking the time to walk through this with me. It was great to see you in-game rabbit!
Mark, I hope you guys can take this feedback and maybe rebalance these skills. Usually cold is the *less* damaging skill, not more!

It's usually the single-target skills that do more, for balance reasons. Glacial hammer is exclusively single-target, where infernal blow, in addition to it's attack damage, deals extra AoE damage every time it kills something, which scales with the amount of life the monsters you're fighting have. Note that this is not accounted for in the DPS display (it doesn't know how often you'll kill things) and is affected by all your fire and elemental damage passives, but not the ones specific to weapons (the explosion is fire damage, but is not dealt with the weapon).
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 10, 2012, 12:09:14 AM
I have a Two hander Templar build I am working on, I like this skill for utility of the corpse explosion not the AOE (that is fairly weak as noted).

By that I mean it is great for denial of copses to necromancers and killing the crab at their shell phase outright.

Since I am using an orange two handed sword (only level 21 so far)

Unavailable

Unavailable

Unavailable

This is the crux of my gear, but as it stands now this skill is my best damage one according to my tooltips.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
The area of damage for the AOE portion of this spell just feels small. I have a 14% quality Infernal Blow and the 12% AoE increase passive right by the Templar starting position and it just doesn't seem to do much in terms of area coverage.

I can have 4 mobs lined up around me and attacking me. I hit and kill the first mob, the 2nd and 3rd mob will take damage but not the 4th in the semi-circle. Maybe 26% increased area(assuming the extra range from quality is additive with the increased range from the passive) isn't as much as I am thinking it should be. Hopefully I will see more of an increase when I finally get around to attaching the increase area of effect support to the skill.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

So I added a 5% level 1 Increased Area of Effect support gem which increases the area by another 15% and the only real increase I noticed was in the mana cost.

Are the increased area enhancements additive or multiplicative with each other? Do they effect the explosion portion of the skill? I see the letter on the Infernal Blow skill that shows that Increased Area of Effect is supporting the skill but do not notice anything yet.

"
Dark0mens wrote:
So I added a 5% level 1 Increased Area of Effect support gem which increases the area by another 15% and the only real increase I noticed was in the mana cost.

Are the increased area enhancements additive or multiplicative with each other? Do they effect the explosion portion of the skill? I see the letter on the Infernal Blow skill that shows that Increased Area of Effect is supporting the skill but do not notice anything yet.
Thanks for the report! It appears that increased area bonuses were not being correctly applied to infernal blow. This will be fixed in 0.9.12
Just noticed that unique boss monsters won't explode when slain. Tested this on The Great White Beast and The Weaver.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Dark0mens wrote:

Thanks for the report! It appears that increased area bonuses were not being correctly applied to infernal blow. This will be fixed in 0.9.12

Good to know. Won't shelve my Infernal Blow build yet then.

anyone know how infernal blow's explosion radius compares to detonate dead? same?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info