Flicker Strike

"
yuipo1 wrote:
I think flicker strike would work much better and be easier to balance vs. other melee skills, if it functioned like Master Yi's Alpha Strike in LoL or D3's Monk Seven Sided strike.

The skill used to be like that : consuming all frenzy charges and doing one jump per frenzy charge conusmed.
It was really bad.

This skill isn't harder to balance, it's just ridiculously overpowered and GGG doesn't seem to see it, despite this being completely obvious.
The only thing that counter-balance it's OPness is its ability to cause desync all the time, leading occasionally to random deaths. But I don't think it's reasonable to balance a skill depending on the bugs that it causes...
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
are they going to patch the fact that it rubberbands like crazy?
I'm only getting bounce backs when warping to a mob that is next to unwalkable terrain, with my character possibly trying to warp to restricted terrain (i.e. inside a wall).
When no valid location can be found, he's bouncing back to where I was when using FS.
That's what I think is going on there.
He's still connecting a hit though!
If there's a delay in atk speed due to this, I can't tell.
If you're leaving PoE, chances are I'll rezz you as my minion! MWHAHAHAH
I think this skill should work as frenzy charge consuming finishing move.

Here is my suggestion on how to make charge powered skills usefull.

The problem with skills that consume charges was efficiency.

Passive bonuses from charges are better than additional effect from skill that consumes charges.

The way it should work (IMHO)
When you use ability that consumes charges you get bonus based on numer of charges you had at a time of activating the skill. Only 1 charge is consumed in process.

That rewards players who ivested in +1 mac charges.
You dont sacrafice all passive bonuses from charges for often meaningless additional skill effect.
Charge bounses to skills dont have to be OP to be worth using -> noncharges skill will not be completely useless.
You could pull nice combos!

Lets say we have old flicker strike.
With 0 charges it ports you to mob and you attack him once.
For each frenzy charge you have, you gain attack speed/dmg bonus and port once more.
One charge is used on activation.
With 3 charges you will port 4 times, with nice bonuses. After skill effect you will still have 2 charges to use.
You can:
A. Flicker again hitting 3 times with 2x bonus
B. Get charges back to full.

Same thing with Immortal call and discharge.
This change may require lowering skill bonuses from charges.

I think this change will not require huge changes to game code/mechanics.
Spoiler
Just change the part of a code from
current_charges = 0;
to
current_charges - 1;
(I know it is not that simple :P)

I think it is a good way to fix charges.
Last edited by erenhardt on Jul 6, 2012, 6:16:44 AM
I find the skill range to be lacking.

I currently use the skill as a gab-closer on my dual-wielding dagger Shadow.
Being the glass-cannon that he is, it is extremly annoying to see monsters on the screen slowly take out their bow, take aim and shoot me in the face while I'm madly mashing the Flicker Strike key. Only to have my character walk halfway over to the monster before teleporting.

Also, the occasional sudden onslaught of damage probably caused by desyncing, the same as Whirling Blades does.
IGN Iiyoru (Ambush League)
Flicker Strike misses way too much...seriously It should hit 90% of the time according to my accuracy but looks like it hits 50~60% of the times.

I was building more accuracy but if 90% isn't enough...
New patch....flicker strike now has a cooldown. I guess too many people were farming chaos with flickerstrike, amirite? *crickets*
Seems so, probably to be less desync ridden/ less spammable.

As it was, it was disproportionately powerful.

Dealt damage almost on par with Heavy Strike, but also gained +25% weapon speed at level 1 for modest energy cost.

Now it feels like much more of an assassin skill, where you pop in and oneshot the target, dodge projectiles, switch targets quickly, or use the gap closing to rapidly apply debuffs.

My "CI/increased melee at full life" Shadow build uses flicker strike as:
A quick killing blow against single enemies
a kiting ability against small groups of mobs (FS, retreat, FS, retreat)
A great method of rushing rare enemies (flicker in, apply viper strikes and/or puncture, whirling blades out)

A couple skills it seems to synergize with (this is just what I'm messing around with)

Bear Trap (keep them from dodging the hit by rooting them)
Phase Run (i know, sounds odd, but the damage buffs stack, so you do 140% damage + the 50% odd bonus damage off of that for over 210% damage on a hit)
Whirling Blades (gives the former maneuverability that flicker strike had alone, as well as good Crowd Control if you've got cold damage)
Viper Strike/Puncture (Pop in, apply debuffs, kite away)

Detonate Dead: This I find somewhat effective against large swarms (i.e. jungle monkey swarms). Pop in, kill a unit, detonate it for good AoE damage on the swarm, run, FS, DD, then chain DD till everything's dead.
[quote="Xavderion"]Adapt or die.[/quote]
[quote="NekoHanten"]You are a prisoner who has been exiled to Wraeclast. Do you think it's meant to be easy and fun?[/quote]
"
erenhardt wrote:
I think this skill should work as frenzy charge consuming finishing move.

Here is my suggestion on how to make charge powered skills usefull.

The problem with skills that consume charges was efficiency.

Passive bonuses from charges are better than additional effect from skill that consumes charges.

When you use ability that consumes charges you get bonus based on numer of charges you had at a time of activating the skill. Only 1 charge is consumed in process.

That rewards players who ivested in +1 mac charges.
You dont sacrafice all passive bonuses from charges for often meaningless additional skill effect.
Charge bounses to skills dont have to be OP to be worth using -> noncharges skill will not be completely useless.
You could pull nice combos!

Lets say we have old flicker strike.
With 0 charges it ports you to mob and you attack him once.
For each frenzy charge you have, you gain attack speed/dmg bonus and port once more.
One charge is used on activation.
With 3 charges you will port 4 times, with nice bonuses. After skill effect you will still have 2 charges to use.
You can:
A. Flicker again hitting 3 times with 2x bonus
B. Get charges back to full.

Same thing with Immortal call and discharge.
This change may require lowering skill bonuses from charges.

I think this change will not require huge changes to game code/mechanics.
Spoiler
Just change the part of a code from
current_charges = 0;
to
current_charges - 1;
(I know it is not that simple :P)

I think it is a good way to fix charges.

This is probably one of the best suggestions ever. If I could give you beans, you would have them.

Instead they added a Cooldown. :(
"That's how you die properly, Sailor Boy.."
Last edited by jawsofhana on Jul 23, 2012, 1:22:28 PM
"

As fun as that sounds, optimal damage would require you to frenzy > flicker > frenzy > flicker which sounds like it'd become tedious rather quickly. That's my only problem with it. I'd personally suggest that all your charges get used instead of one.

EDIT:
I know my suggestion requires you to frenzy and flicker still, but you're required to alternate between them less often.
Last edited by sinjin25 on Jul 23, 2012, 6:18:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info