Flicker Strike

"
KoTao wrote:

2) Make it dodgeable. A slight (1/4 ~ 1/2 second) delay before teleport, with some sort of visible indicator to show where the flicker user is going to appear, would work well (and the same mechanic would also do a good job of fixing similar issues with cold snap).

This seems a really cool idea to me, like if a wireframe flashed where you ARE and where you are GOING to be, for just a split second. How long exactly would be ideal, I don't know. It would have to be quick, but long enough to give a chance at avoiding it if you're paying attention.

But then the question is if this still works with the intended functionality of the skill.

I kinda like the other idea where one can flicker say, 3 times, and then the skill needs a recharge period.
Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08
Yes, after thinking about it I'm all for the "trap-like" cooldown, or how I think GGG calls it: Ammunition count.

Give FS four "charges", and make them recharge every 5 seconds. So you can spend them all at once for fast attack and then wait longer for their recharge, or spread them.
"
KoTao wrote:
Flicker only needs two changes to make it balanced:

1) Make it require a target. Attempting to activate the skill without a valid target would have no effect.

2) Make it dodgeable. A slight (1/4 ~ 1/2 second) delay before teleport, with some sort of visible indicator to show where the flicker user is going to appear, would work well (and the same mechanic would also do a good job of fixing similar issues with cold snap).

These changes would prevent scenarios where players take unavoidable damage vs flicker monsters (or players, when pvp balance time comes round), and would also prevent the current mindless playstyle where the flicker player just holds down right click while drinking potions.
At first I really didn't like the second suggestion, but I suppose it could maybe be OK. It's definitely a way to fix many problems without seemingly much work. I guess it comes down to the amount of delay and the damage increase the skill would get due to it.
"
VideoGeemer wrote:

This seems a really cool idea to me, like if a wireframe flashed where you ARE and where you are GOING to be, for just a split second. How long exactly would be ideal, I don't know. It would have to be quick, but long enough to give a chance at avoiding it if you're paying attention.

I'm pretty sure the delay doesn't need to be long at all. Already the attack period of the weapon affects a delay for the target to escape. I think adding a delay so that a target that's moving at normal speed wouldn't get hit most of the time (depends on where the teleport was and how fast the weapon is though) could work. More delay could also work, but adding too much time could make the skill kinda useless (but that would probably have to be tested)
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on May 23, 2012, 5:12:28 PM
just nerf the hell out of the damage and leave if imho or if you have to make it less spammable make it like a trap 4 flickers cool down of few seconds on each one i would just test a huge damage nerf first thou shadow needs flicker and whirling blades dont gimp the strategic use of the skill let us flicker to the target when we want but just make it so a dual dtrike or double strike is far more effective then spamming it honestly make flicker do less dmg then a normal attack leave everything else the same we should be encouraged to flicker in dual strike whirling blades out on a shadow
I can Haz BETA?
"
BattleSmurf wrote:
just nerf the hell out of the damage and leave if imho or if you have to make it less spammable make it like a trap 4 flickers cool down of few seconds on each one i would just test a huge damage nerf first thou shadow needs flicker and whirling blades dont gimp the strategic use of the skill let us flicker to the target when we want but just make it so a dual dtrike or double strike is far more effective then spamming it honestly make flicker do less dmg then a normal attack leave everything else the same we should be encouraged to flicker in dual strike whirling blades out on a shadow

Despite the terrible writing I fully agree with you.
I agree with these last two posts as well.

I think flicker strike is a great ability, my main problem with it is that it's all I need to use on my melee ranger. Diversifying usually just gets me into more trouble. I think a dmg nerf might solve these problems. When you first get flicker strike its a lot of fun to just spam it and rape everything but after 30 lvl's of it it gets painfully old.

I also agree that if a dmg nerf isn't the answer then the ammunition type cooldown is.

Not sure if this been posted.

There is a minor bug on this skill.

When you put into any zoom-in (other then the max Zoom-Out), when you cast the Flicker Strike skill, it causes the camera to max Zoom-out and then back to zoom-in again.

I dont think this is intended.

Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.
I like idea with making charges for flicker. Currently its kill skill balance (1 lv flicker deals better dmg than lv 7 dual strike with linked added cold dmg). It kills balance making flicker the only choice. First i was for nerfing dmg, speed attack bonus and also for delay (1 attack for let say 1,5sec). But now making it with 3-4 charges like traps is better idea.
Flicker was fine with charges. The problem was that charges were not fine.

This skill is best implemented with some sort of 'build up' and 'execute' semantic.

Charges as they are currently implemented don't seem to be able to support that. In that light, charges need to be retooled in order to support skills that require charging up to execute a more powerful finisher.

Additionally, the finisher must be more useful than keeping the charges... which was another problem of the previous implementation of the charges.

Charges should NOT be an important thing unto themselves... charges should exist to give a limitation to the important part of the game... big skill with big flashy finishers.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
I never expect or even ask for balance in pvp, so met phrase it this way... flicker is going to be hard as hell to be made both useful and not overpowered.

I dont mind flicker being one of the most important and strong pvp skill ofoourse it should be but if you just change it to a trap style charge mechanic your still leaving room for INSANE burst damge for 4 flickers off the bat in pvp.

Thats why Im thinking massively nerf the damage and leave it somewhat spammable would be best, but its hard to know for sure since you guys pretty much dont let us beta players test pvp very often at all.

Just off the top of my head have u guys considered making flicker strike a STATIC/scaling attack? That classes like the shadow could use it (which I truely believe it should be intended that they do) and not be so massively gimped by using it with 2 one handers compared to a duelist with a two hander.

Im for making it more of utility skill then outright killing tool. Just something to hurt the target a bit and get u in range to use a dual strike.
I can Haz BETA?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info