Firestorm

"
Lilithian wrote:
Id love to have cold based variant for this skill, since I loved d2 blizz soso ;-;

Correct me if i'm wrong but u can convert a part of the dmg to ice.

but i also feel there needs to be a Blizzard like Spell.

The only thing i dont like is the sound of firestorm. it should be more fiery and a bit more devastating.
Firestorm is pretty good with the Chance to Ignite support gem. Firestorm deals damage every 0.15 seconds, so it'll usually apply ignite instantly.
but with a damage modifier making weaker hits to give less benefit for burning.
Yeah, pretty much. It'll apply Burning, but it'll deal shit for damage. Much better off with AoE/Conc or a flat damage bonus, and Duration is awesome too.
I use firestorm linked with Con Effect and Iron Will (I currently have 300 strength) in a scepter with +2 fire gem stats. I'd say the damage is pretty good.
Anyone know why Firestorm DPS doesn't change when I add a "Added fire damage" support gem to it? The little icon shows up on the skill hotbar, but the dps doesn't change at all.
Because that gem adds a percentage of the skill's physical damage to fire.
Firestorm does no physical damage.
I used a Witch build up until OB, and duplicated it on OB launch, that made extensive use of this. Specifically, I'd put up high HP buffed skeletons with MI, Frost Wall, and Flammability, and bombard the target(s) from behind my barriers. It used to work beautifully, and was a great way to take out resurrecters/archers/etc from behind an line of enemies.

With OB, the base radius of the skill went up by a LOT. It's now larger by default then it used to be with all the witch's AOE increase passives. This has decreased the power of Firestorm by a massive ammount- the fireballs are too spread out to hit any given target enough to hurt it much. It actually encourages me to AVOID taking the AOE passives, since they would weaken the skill further. In it's current state, it's good for general AOE suppression of large groups, but the DPS/duration do not elevate it above various piercing, multiple projectile or chain skills in that role. It works well with concentrated aoe suppport, but those don't appear until fairly deep in the game and the mana cost is very high. I don't think that a single, specific support should be required to make a skill attractive.

Suggestions:
-Either lower the radius again, perhaps to a mid-point, or make the spread of damage more consistent within the area.
-Alternately, increase the duration to 2-3 seconds base, allowing other spells to be cast while it runs, or to stack it several times in the same area for a strong DPS ramp-up in a single area.
"
Rhyse wrote:
I used a Witch build up until OB, and duplicated it on OB launch, that made extensive use of this. Specifically, I'd put up high HP buffed skeletons with MI, Frost Wall, and Flammability, and bombard the target(s) from behind my barriers. It used to work beautifully, and was a great way to take out resurrecters/archers/etc from behind an line of enemies.

With OB, the base radius of the skill went up by a LOT. It's now larger by default then it used to be with all the witch's AOE increase passives. This has decreased the power of Firestorm by a massive ammount- the fireballs are too spread out to hit any given target enough to hurt it much. It actually encourages me to AVOID taking the AOE passives, since they would weaken the skill further. In it's current state, it's good for general AOE suppression of large groups, but the DPS/duration do not elevate it above various piercing, multiple projectile or chain skills in that role. It works well with concentrated aoe suppport, but those don't appear until fairly deep in the game and the mana cost is very high. I don't think that a single, specific support should be required to make a skill attractive.

Suggestions:
-Either lower the radius again, perhaps to a mid-point, or make the spread of damage more consistent within the area.
-Alternately, increase the duration to 2-3 seconds base, allowing other spells to be cast while it runs, or to stack it several times in the same area for a strong DPS ramp-up in a single area.

Is there a problem with your build if you use less 'AOE increase' passives?
You could use those points otherwise.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Last edited by Sneakypaw on Jan 30, 2013, 4:13:24 AM
I haven't had a problem with Firestorm (I use it behind a wall of minions when possible), but then again I tend to use it a bit like a forking spark: With enough casts everything in range will be hit. No AOE passives here.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info