[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Zelciah wrote:
Very well written guide, I'm going to try this now!

Have fun and post here with any questions you may have. :)
General update on mana

I'm happy to report that with just a 0.4% mana leech ring (Romira's) I'm able to sustain attacks on mana with these gems in a 6-link:

It's probably mostly due to multistrike giving two 'free' hits for the one mana cost. The cost of this combo is 32 mana and I have 159 free mana after hatred/HoA.

I'll test ice crash later but initial impression is that static is still higher damage due to the explosions. The tooltip dps is not much higher on ice crash, only about 1K so static explosions are much much more than that. Also ice crash may have mana trouble due to not working with multistrike. We shall see. More later.
I think I'm a few points short of what's shown in the progression builds, even though I took the passive point for the bandits all three times through. Are there quests in act 4 that give you passive points as a reward? Otherwise I'm not sure why I'm behind. I'm 84 but only had 104 points (whereas the level 80 build says 103 points already - so I would be 3 points behind).

I tried Cyclone but I don't really like it. I like Ice Crash, but it doesn't seem as if I can sustain mana to an acceptable extent on single-targets if I have only 0.4% leech, so I would need to use Blood Magic with it - but my dps would be pretty low (or does Herald of Ice balance it out?) I could keep using Static Strike with Multistrike, but I'd rather use Ice Crash because it has a better feel to it.

An issue with using Hatred/Herald of Ash/Herald of Ice is that neither of my 3-socket items - Doryani's Catalyst and Lioneye's Remorse, are green-socket friendly, and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to actually get 2 green + 1 red on one of them. I should have used Vorici on Lioneye's because it's just 25 chromes to get "at least 2 green." Unfortunately, before I thought of that I went through like 60 chromes trying to get it and only saw double green socket once - but it was 2 green 1 blue, which although it's probably pretty rare, is not what I needed. At least they're a low-tier currency. I guess I should just do the Vorici thing now if I still want 2 green/1 red.

I could also do a Tabula Rasa 6-link, but besides needing to get more resists, it makes my character look absurd.

I guess what I probably want to do is:

5-link: Blood Magic/Ice Crash/Fortify/Melee Physical/Weapon Elemental
4-link: Blood Magic/Leap Slam/Shield Charge/Faster Attacks
4-link: Riposte/Vengeance/Endurance Charge on Melee Stun/Stun
4-link: Cast When Damage Taken/Tempest Shield/Summon Flame Golem/Blood Rage
3-link: Reckoning/Curse on Hit/Enfeeble
3-link: Hatred/Herald of Ash/Herald of Ice

Does that make sense? Is it a good setup? Is Blood Rage still okay to use if I'm also using Blood Magic on all my active skills, or is that too much damage to do to myself?

Is getting down to the Blood Magic keystone worth considering instead of using the blood magic gems? It would cost 6-8 more points, so probably not, right?

Thanks.
Last edited by Kamina100 on Jul 11, 2015, 1:49:23 AM
"
Kamina100 wrote:
I think I'm a few points short of what's shown in the progression builds, even though I took the passive point for the bandits all three times through. Are there quests in act 4 that give you passive points as a reward?

Yes one very easy quest per difficulty in act 4 (hint, Tasuni). So 3 points total.

"
Kamina100 wrote:
I like Ice Crash, but it doesn't seem as if I can sustain mana to an acceptable extent on single-targets if I have only 0.4% leech, so I would need to use Blood Magic with it - but my dps would be pretty low (or does Herald of Ice balance it out?) I could keep using Static Strike with Multistrike, but I'd rather use Ice Crash because it has a better feel to it.

Use ice crash if you like it, I still pretty much one-shot white/blue monsters in Merciless with it. Note that I can pretty much sustain it like this:

Taking off faster attacks and using something else there (maybe hypothermia) would make it even easier. I don't think it's quite as good on the mana front as a skill where you can use multistrike though. On long map boss fights in particular. I'll do more testing. It's at least 'usable' without blood magic. My level might have something to do with it (more mana perhaps) but that's why I mention BM as an option. :) No, even 20 quality herald of ice is very minor. I have one and tried it. Not nearly a full replacement for a support gem. Maybe the on-kill effect is more significant than the minor tooltip dps.

"
Kamina100 wrote:
An issue with using Hatred/Herald of Ash/Herald of Ice is that neither of my 3-socket items - Doryani's Catalyst and Lioneye's Remorse, are green-socket friendly, and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to actually get 2 green + 1 red on one of them.

yes it can take quite a few chromes to get exactly what you want but use a probability calculator next time like this one.

"
Kamina100 wrote:
I could also do a Tabula Rasa 6-link, but besides needing to get more resists, it makes my character look absurd.

Maybe you could skin the tabula, that microtransaction is very cheap. Not the ideal 6-link but it works with the right other gear.

"
Kamina100 wrote:
I guess what I probably want to do is:

5-link: Blood Magic/Ice Crash/Fortify/Melee Physical/Weapon Elemental
4-link: Blood Magic/Leap Slam/Shield Charge/Faster Attacks
4-link: Riposte/Vengeance/Endurance Charge on Melee Stun/Stun
4-link: Cast When Damage Taken/Tempest Shield/Summon Flame Golem/Blood Rage
3-link: Reckoning/Curse on Hit/Enfeeble
3-link: Hatred/Herald of Ash/Herald of Ice

That would be fine except you would have a much easier time if you do the blue gems on the boots (rainbows). Follow the guide you won't go wrong. I provide an example for each setup in the text. Probably don't need two movement skills although it would be nice. I'm putting my movement skill on the shield and the curse on the boots.

"
Kamina100 wrote:
Is Blood Rage still okay to use if I'm also using Blood Magic on all my active skills, or is that too much damage to do to myself?

I think so but have not tested both together yet, will do so. Blood rage does not do any damage to me on its own, maybe my 10K armour helps there.

"
Kamina100 wrote:
Is getting down to the Blood Magic keystone worth considering instead of using the blood magic gems?

Can't use auras with that keystone without losing too much life, so no. The dps loss would be much larger than one support gem.
Update on skill testing in 2.0:

With ALL self buffs, so this is peak damage, solo at least. (waited for CWDT to pop, charges to max out, hit flask)

ice crash(level 12 gem) - melee Phys - faster atks - weapon ele - added fire - fortify

...About 50K DPS, rounding up.

static strike(also level 12 gem) - melee phys - multistrike - weapon ele - added fire - fortify

.... about 53K BUT 85K dps with explosions. So for fights that last longer than a couple seconds, static strike pulls ahead.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jul 11, 2015, 4:38:22 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:
Yes one very easy quest per difficulty in act 4 (hint, Tasuni). So 3 points total.

Ah, thanks.

"
Sovyn wrote:
Use ice crash if you like it, I still pretty much one-shot white/blue monsters in Merciless with it. Note that I can pretty much sustain it like this:

Good to know. Maybe I'll try mana again.

"
Sovyn wrote:
yes it can take quite a few chromes to get exactly what you want but use a probability calculator next time like this one

Ah, thanks for that resource.

"
Sovyn wrote:
Maybe you could skin the tabula, that microtransaction is very cheap. Not the ideal 6-link but it works with the right other gear.

Oh that's an idea - if I get other gear that can work with that setup, I may end up doing that.

"
Sovyn wrote:
you would have a much easier time if you do the blue gems on the boots (rainbows).

The thing is, I happen to already have blue/blue/red on Doryani's, which works for the Curse on Hit setup (although I would need to switch to a different piece to add a 4th gem), and I have Red/Red/Green/Blue on the Rainbows already which works for the recommended Cast When Damage Taken Setup. A socket issue I have right now is that my gloves are Energy Shield/Evasion, which makes it hard to to get the colors I would want on that, but if I get Armor gloves I think it would be okay to roll what I want for that 4-link? Or I am I confusing something?

"
Sovyn wrote:
Follow the guide you won't go wrong. I provide an example for each setup in the text. Probably don't need two movement skills although it would be nice. I'm putting my movement skill on the shield and the curse on the boots.

It seems as if there's a flex socket or two, depending on whether you're using 2 or 3 auras, and whether you're 4-linking the Reckoning/Curse on Hit/Enfeeble. I confess I don't quite understand the Herald of Thunder mechanic on that Reckoning linkage. It's an aura, right? Does it do something when Reckoning hits? Sorry, just confused on how that works.

"
Sovyn wrote:
I think so but have not tested both together yet, will do so. Blood rage does not do any damage to me on its own, maybe my 10K armour helps there.

I have over 10K as well, thanks to Lioneye's Remorse!

"
Sovyn wrote:
Can't use auras with that keystone without losing too much life, so no. The dps loss would be much larger than one support gem.

Ah yes, forgot that the auras would take my health.

Thank you for the helpful response!
"
Sovyn wrote:
Update on skill testing in 2.0:

With ALL self buffs, so this is peak damage, solo at least. (waited for CWDT to pop, charges to max out, hit flask)

ice crash(level 12 gem) - melee Phys - faster atks - weapon ele - added fire - fortify

...About 50K DPS, rounding up.

static strike(also level 12 gem) - melee phys - multistrike - weapon ele - added fire - fortify

.... about 53K BUT 85K dps with explosions. So for fights that last longer than a couple seconds, static strike pulls ahead.

It seems as if Static Strike is way ahead here. Does the Ice Crash tooltip count all 3 Ice Crash waves? It hits 3 times, right?
Hello again,

I started my tempalr last night, and i've been poking around the wiki for a while now, trying to pick my skills. Here's what i came up with (as you see, it's quite "themed", but that's the goal:P)

6 link - Ice Crash, Fortify, Melee Physical Damage, Hypothermia, Faster Attacks, Weapon Elemental Damage
4 link - Glacial Hammer, Hypothermia, Multistrike, Melee Physical Damage/Stun
4 link - Vengeance, Reckoning/Riposte(If DEX allows it), Stun, Endurance Charge on Melee Stun
4 link - Rallying Cry/Abyssal Cry(Depending on difficulty), Elemental Weakness/Enfeeble, Increased Area of Effect, Increased Duration
3 link - Reduced Mana Cost, Summon Ice Golem, Herald of Ice (Hopefuly RMC still works with Herald?)
3 link - Hatred, Movement skill, ???

Obviously the 6 link with Ice Crash will be my main trash-clearing skill, glacial Hammer will be used for single target. The rest is utility etc.
The idea is to stick with cold damage as much as possible, for maximum CC. For that i will not be picking up Resolute Technique, since i need to crit in order to freeze. That's why i hope i can use the Ice Golem over the Fire one, since it gives more crit AND hit chance, and i'll need both.

Not exactly sure about the passive tree, but i'll probably try to pick some cold damage, chill/freeze schance and AoE nodes when possible.

Do you guys think this is viable for normal mode map running/end game? Not trying to be OPTIMAL, just viable and fun and not dyeing every 15 seconds.

Also, once again, keep in mind that i only play this in a party with a summoner.

[EDIT] Here's a possible passive tree i've adapted a bit:
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUBAdwFLQY5CTMLYQz3Dc0UIBT2FSAZtBo-G5cczitQLYMvzDCXMk45ijwFPC09D0CgRrdG10d-TwRQR1FgXz9i7GVNZlRnm2jycYVyD3Ttd-N5OXloeu98S37igpuDX4TZhO-Fe4Y7iuSUb5Z0mjub7J_fqW6playvrj6vbK-nsUK2hraKvTa-p8BmwL_BBMGCxPbGrtE202_aweIs5FHp1ew47SDvDu988i_zBvMR-6r-VA==
[/EDIT]
Last edited by Lyesainer on Jul 11, 2015, 6:32:20 AM
Hi there
Loving the build, been using it for quite a long while.
So my question is, what is your reasoning behind removing Resolute Technique? Won't we lose a lot of dps from this?

-Hapse
This true? https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3cwdj1/2_block_on_jewels_does_not_exist/

No 2% block jewels?

I haven't had any jewels drop at all though. I thought the white ones would drop like flasks, but I guess they're kinda rare.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info