[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Hi Sovyn,

When climbing towards the Scion tree area (level 80 build progression), three points are used to take Berserking (above Steel Skin node) and the two IAS nodes before that.

this gives total of :21% increased attack speed.

I am thinking instead of this, taking Aspect of the Panther (above Weapon Artistry) - same 3 points, to get:

15% increased dmg
14% increased attack speed (1h weapons)
+10 life
4% increased movement speed

lower IAS, but a wee bit more dmg etc. Is there some drastic downside in missing out on the 7% IAS that I am missing?

Cheers.

In other news, I did a level 66 map yesterday, which had the mods of increased rare monsters, and demons. The map was choke full (dried lake I think) of BLUE packs of voidbearers, those titty women, the ultrafast running corpse vomiting Avians. I used stone of lazwar and man it was amazing.

With 40%+ spell block, and 70+ shield block, I basically cruised through the packs. most of the time, two packs would be whaling on me, mostly blue, with one to three rare/named mobs. At one point I had two named voidbearers trying to light me up and not even making a dent.
the spell block made the voidbearer dogs such a non issue that I basically killed them last.

Till now, voidbearer packs made me cringe, and it was a crapshoot most times. I do lose 42% IIR due to using the stone of lazwar, but hey small price to pay to be invincible to packs and packs of voidbearers.

I think I used a flash a couple of times in that map :)

In another map I found this shield (which basically tripled my evasion %)- so perandus is back in stash, I miss it so as I am not capped for block anymore, but quite close!

Last edited by MildlyClever on Dec 12, 2013, 4:51:54 AM
"
Firderis wrote:
I may found something to improve your build. Your 80 point progression build (approximately level 60) has a point in "10% elemental resistances when holding a shield", but not a point in "Diamond Flesh" (12% elemental resistances). It's only a small improve, but every little step counts :)

There is no reason not to take a node at level 20 when you can take a slightly better node at level 60, having that node for 40 levels more is much more important. Of course. when you get there one can always refund the 10% elemental resistances with shield and replace it with Diamond Flesh if they like, but it s better to design a passive skill tree without depending on refunds, it makes it much less confusing and it also feels more robust. Eventually, you might even want to have both nodes.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"

So, here it is finally: http://imgur.com/a/ccyKN

Heavy strike setup: Heavy strike + Melee phys dmg + Multistrike + Faster attacks (yep, no 5l atm)

As predicted, DPS is practically the same with both options, where AotP wins with the most negligible difference ever of 6 DPS (again as predicted).

As a small proof of the true correspondence of each pic to their respective description, please observe the attack time on the tooltip of each photo.

Personally, I am keeping the Aspect of the Panther choice at the moment for the non-damage bonuses, the (probably negligible) bigger armor penetration and the not too big difference in attack speed, but I can see how it is only a matter of preference and I know that later in the game there is the possibility that one of the two options is strictly better (lvl 71 atm), but hey, here is one more option to consider lazy pallies, with (some) proof!

Outstanding work!

Looks pretty close indeed. I may reconsider my position. Since the DPS is the same for all practical purposes, I'm just trying to decide if the extra frequency of stun/blind would be better than the small gain in life/movement speed. Possibly the latter, but I'll give it some more thought.

:)

One thing I forgot to mention, I had actually predicted a 30-ish DPS difference, but because my weapon has a tiny bit of cold DMG (I had forgotten about that), which only gets increased by attack speed and not 1h physical DMG, the DPS difference turned out to be 6 DPS.

So, if ppl happen to have a lot of elemental dmg on their weapons, Berserking might be the strictly better option for them DPS-wise (although I don't know how much extra elemental dmg they would need to have for this to actually be non-negligible). Just another parameter that needs to be considered while you think about it.
I started to level up a paladin in HC.This guide is totaly HC vialbe and just amazing.
The combination of Crest of Perandus and Stone of Lazhwar is sick.
Perfect items for leveling and have a amazing synergy.Both of them droped early on and it was a pice of cake leveling in normal.Crule is a bit trickier but nothing you cant handle.

At the moment I"m lvl 51 just killed Val and came to the Sarn Encampment
I am using Heavy Strike as my main dps and Infernal as my aoe and runing Determination with no mana problems at all .I"m leveling spectral throw and the rest of the gems so I can switch and try difrent gems all the way.

Curent Gear:

Last edited by cakija123 on Dec 12, 2013, 9:08:36 AM
"
Firderis wrote:
I may found something to improve your build. Your 80 point progression build (approximately level 60) has a point in "10% elemental resistances when holding a shield", but not a point in "Diamond Flesh" (12% elemental resistances). It's only a small improve, but every little step counts :)

Thank you for posting. :)

I think GermanosKaraflas covered most of the reasons for the build being the way it is.

I'll just add that Diamond Flesh and Ondar's Guile are the priorities right after the 80 point build "snapshot," if you will. 100 points build is very doable for anyone.
"
MildlyClever wrote:

I am thinking instead of this, taking Aspect of the Panther (above Weapon Artistry) - same 3 points, to get:

15% increased dmg
14% increased attack speed (1h weapons)
+10 life
4% increased movement speed

1) Our friend GermanosKaraflas did some good research with screenshots a page or two back on this very thing. Actually, a veteran user of the build about a hundred pages ago suggested it too I think. The bottom line is the DPS is the same but you won't apply stun or blind as often, in exchange you get a few life points. I don't think it matters which way you go, personal preference. :) I'm still debating if I want to bother changing the guide or not.

2) Solid evasion on that shield, if it had the 'walling' affix it would be perfect but it's still very nice.
"
cakija123 wrote:
I started to level up a paladin in HC.This guide is totaly HC vialbe and just amazing.
The combination of Crest of Perandus and Stone of Lazhwar is sick.
Perfect items for leveling and have a amazing synergy.Both of them droped early on and it was a pice of cake leveling in normal.Crule is a bit trickier but nothing you cant handle.

Welcome, cakija123! Glad the guide was useful to you.

Yes, definitely hardcore viable, for a melee. We have had several hardcore lazy pallies make it into their 80s.

Looking good so far! Blessings upon you in the future.
Hi Sovyn,

thank u for this build i´m now at lvl 54 and this is my first char, but i have a problem :

I get my first "cast when damage taken" gem and tried with every another gems(Immortal call, Enduring Cry and so). But its never procc, do i do something wrong?
Aegis Aurora is just a beast in this build. I am using now Determination and Discipline aura to get almost 1k mana shield.

There is a remarkable downside in this build tho. It's hard to get into groups nowadays since groups are "professional" and demand either high dps or high mf. Farming alone is very slow and boring too with this build till u get top notch gear. I am on level 71 on nemesis right now and have invested a lot in gear. dps with heavy strike is over 5k.

This attack gem is something I'd like to discuss.

Heavy Strike

Pros:
-Highest damage outlet gem (?)
-Pure physical, will scale well and you get better leech. This is a huge advantage ofc
-Knocks back which is good against fe. Storm Herald and isolating monsters from players.
-Lowest manacost so lowest life consume with Blood magic
-Works almost with every weapon type

Cons:
-Knocks back which I assume to be annoying and it kind ruins Melee Splash since group doesn't stick together so well.
-Nothing special in this. AOE depends on multistrike and melee splash

Glacial Hammer

Pros:
-Could have huge synergy with your group if their build is right(?) Also might get bonus from items which I am not aware of
-Makes your defence better
-Might work with added elemental damage

Cons:
-+20q high level gem gave inferior dps compared to HS. Quality in this gem is definitely nice tho.
-Lower physical damage which means worse scaling (which is not so huge in this build) and worse leech.

Ground Slam

Pros:
-Huge AOE without Melee splash which gives u free slot. This is remarkable. I put added fire damage there. Clears low level mobs so fast. AOE is in many cases better than Melee Splash one.
-I see a lot of potential in this if u get somehow insane dps weapon. Would be so devastating in clearing areas.

Cons:
-Single target dps is just so poor
-Quality in this gem is kinda disappointment I think

Please add your point of view and what u think is going to be best game in late game? Any other good options?

Right now it seems that Heavy Strike is a CLEAR winner if no good synergy will appear from somewhere.

Also, another question. What's the best slot to get bit amount of chaos resistance in one time since it's horrible leak in my gear right now (-60%)
Last edited by Possu81 on Dec 13, 2013, 1:46:22 PM
"
amocpower wrote:
Hi Sovyn,

thank u for this build i´m now at lvl 54 and this is my first char, but i have a problem :

I get my first "cast when damage taken" gem and tried with every another gems(Immortal call, Enduring Cry and so). But its never procc, do i do something wrong?

Hi amocpower. :)

The problem is that your gems are leveled up too high. Please take another peek at the trigger section in the guide.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info