[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
shyftyx wrote:

"
MildlyClever wrote:

Curious Q: Anyone ever used "double Strike" as their main attack (linked up with melee splash etc as usual)? Or is it not viable?

I use Double Strike as my main AoE with Melee Splash and company and it does its job fairly well. I also use Heavy Strike as my single-target; I personally feel its damage potential too valuable to "waste" with Melee Splash. (;

I used Heavy Strike for about 70 levels, and recently switched to Double Strike. The DPS is a bit lower, but the knockback and associated desync from Heavy Stike was driving me crazy. You would think that knocking things away would be a survivability aid, and I suppose it can be, but it can also be the opposite if you desync and can't actually hit anything, and so can't leech. Multistrike does mitigate that problem a bit, but it is still annoying.

The other thing about Heavy Strike is the fact that, unless you are quite careful, you will constantly be knocking mobs around into other mobs, which can sometimes be an issue, depending upon what you are fighting at the time.

I much prefer Double Strike. No desync issues. No knocking things away so you can't leech. No bashing things into extra packs. Another benefit is that weapon speed becomes a bit less important, since Double Strike swings twice for each time that Heavy Strike would.

Really, the only down sides are slightly lower DPS (by about 12% for me) and the need for an extra green socket (which is pretty minor).
"
MildlyClever wrote:

I loved Heavy Strike on my previous level 76 templar - especially the knockback , and loved the combo with warlord's mark (practically insta max endurance charges - when using multistrike with it). Didnt have an issue with the knockback - it actually helped if I was getting ganged up on by more than a few mob packs.

Yes, I like heavy strike too. The knockback is not an issue, even a blessing at times. But then I am really used to it, I can understand someone who is not used to it preferring double strike. :)
"
Gabba wrote:
Hey!
I need an advice.
i currently have a 4 link chest armor with 1200 armor.
is it worth going for a 5 link instead with ~700 armor ?
i would loose around 1300 armor,8% phys reduction.

My stats are:
lvl 67
3400hp
1100 dps
4250 armor 43% phys dmg reduction
3300 evasion 37% evade
52% block
32% spell block

Hi Gabba, I would guess that 1100 DPS is your standard attack DPS, your attack skill DPS is surely higher. In any case, I would only go with the 5-link if you are finding your kill speed too slow and want to experiment. Whether or not you could even keep up with the mana cost of a 4th support gem on your attack skill or not would have to be seen as well. I would say getting block/spell block maxed is higher priority. :)
"
qualopeqh wrote:

Just want to say: Thumbs up, Sovyn!!

Thank you, qualopeqh! I appreciate your kind words.
"
Ishkabibble wrote:
Well the stuns are almost nonexistent but resist concerns result in my waking up screaming in the middle of the night.

I agree that I don't experience any stuns. As to resists, I found that it was pretty easy to max out the elemental resists from gear, and we do get more help from the tree than most builds do, as there are 20% resists from shield plus two notable resists nodes. I do not think we need to worry about chaos resist with 30%+ avoidance and Ondar's as most chaos damage outside of a few fringe cases seems to be projectile damage against which we have top notch defenses.
"
shyftyx wrote:

I play self-found so I'll be praying for a better weapon when the time comes for mapping. I also just realized that BoR gives 15% block, which is pretty insane. I can use the shield nodes I save from BoR and dump them into mana reserve nodes, which would help a lot...

I'm strictly self found too, so not much chance of a BoR unfortunately. I've tried a bunch of chance orbs. I do some Piety runs occasionally, I understand she can drop it. Not counting on it though.

I've accumulated a ton of orbs of alchemy over time just by vendoring all the yellow and blue items I've identified and don't need. Those fragments really add up.

And I've spent a lot of them over time at that.

Siege axes are a very common drop. My point is, for self found I think our best chance to get a good weapon is just to keep hitting Siege Axes with alchemy. It's a slim gamble, but eventually something over 250 DPS crops up. Obviously the alt/regal then exalted/eternal crafting system is not available to self found players.
"
Vexidious wrote:

I much prefer Double Strike. No desync issues. No knocking things away so you can't leech. No bashing things into extra packs. Another benefit is that weapon speed becomes a bit less important, since Double Strike swings twice for each time that Heavy Strike would.

Hi Vexidious. :) Double strike is a good choice too! That's the beauty of the build, choose the attack skill that works best for you. I suspect perhaps as I am blessed with a uber internet connection that I don't experience any desync, so it's possible that heavy strike works well for me in part because of this.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Gabba wrote:
Hey!
I need an advice.
i currently have a 4 link chest armor with 1200 armor.
is it worth going for a 5 link instead with ~700 armor ?
i would loose around 1300 armor,8% phys reduction.

My stats are:
lvl 67
3400hp
1100 dps
4250 armor 43% phys dmg reduction
3300 evasion 37% evade
52% block
32% spell block

Hi Gabba, I would guess that 1100 DPS is your standard attack DPS, your attack skill DPS is surely higher. In any case, I would only go with the 5-link if you are finding your kill speed too slow and want to experiment. Whether or not you could even keep up with the mana cost of a 4th support gem on your attack skill or not would have to be seen as well. I would say getting block/spell block maxed is higher priority. :)

Hello, My dps on heavy strike is 3700 with splash gem. and the idea was to go with a 5 link so i could add a physical dmg gem.

i saw that u dont recomend the splash gem in guide, how do u do aoe dmg then?

and one more question ;) How much mana do u have with 2 auras running?

Thank you for the reply.
"
Gabba wrote:

Hello, My dps on heavy strike is 3700 with splash gem. and the idea was to go with a 5 link so i could add a physical dmg gem.

i saw that u dont recomend the splash gem in guide, how do u do aoe dmg then?

and one more question ;) How much mana do u have with 2 auras running?

I don't use splash as multistrike cycles through targets at a similar range and does more damage per hit, so I can use the same skill for bosses with higher DPS. The other reason is that when facing just a couple of monsters, which is much of the time, splash causes me to run out of mana. It's only when I am surrounded that splash leeches enough to keep up. I don't like that. :)

I don't mind re-clicking occasionally on the highest life monster (I use the on-screen life bars) and multistikre will finish off the one I was working on prior while I kill the next one. It's really very efficient once you get the technique down.

I have 57 mana after two auras, which is enough for my 4-link combo without ever missing a beat.
First of all thank you Sovyn for your effort, this thread really helped me a lot as a new player.
Then, I saw that if I hold the "attack in place" button with HS I got much less desync, it is very useful especially with bosses and rares!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info