[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Nakhaght wrote:
Hi there. I've got a question. Is this build viable for a new, hardcore player? If yes, could you tell me attack gems combination? I'm still quite confused with that... Should I be focused on only one gem or two?
Thanks for your answers.

Greetings, Nakhaght!

Yes, it would work for a hardcore player. I would not suggest a melee build for a new hardcore player, unless you have a lot of experience in standard first. There are just a out of things out there in PoE you need to be careful with, especially as a melee. Having experience in standard, you would know what all of those things are. That said, this is the most survivable melee build.

For hardcore, you probably want to choose a ranged melee attack skill like spectral throw or lightning strike and ride your shift key to stand back and avoid taking too much heat. The tradeoff for the added safety is you won't do as much damage.

I can survive quite some time in hardcore toe-to-toe with the monsters, and we did have one person make it to 85 in hardcore with this build using heavy strike.
"
Weidi wrote:
Hello! Just starting out in this game and wondering if it is viable to go with HS and cyclone or maybe even cyclone only? or would you recommend just HS (cyclone is my favorite spell so far :P)

Thanks for a great guide!

Howdy, Weidi! :)

I never found cyclone to be that great for bosses or single targets. It works of course, just a lot of back and forth. You could use HS on a 4-link and put cyclone on a 5-link chest. HS can do adequate damage with just a 4-link. The problem with cyclone will probably be the mana requirements, you may need to use the blood magic support gem with it, and possibly the life gain on hit gem to restore your life quickly enough.
"
Reloads wrote:
I would like to know if my weapon is good for like 75+ maps or should I get a better one? I bought this weapon for like 3 GCP way back in Merc Act 2

Anyways thanks againfor the great guide.

Thanks for the update, Reloads!

Yes, your weapon is adequate to complete anything currently in the game (it is 317 DPS). There is still room for improvement as something around 360 DPS would be a noticable upgrade.

Ideally, you may want to get a high evasion high block buckler and get more armour on all the rest of your gear to max out blocking and ensure your avoidance is at least 30% (and thus your projectile avoidance 60%). There are always upgrades to be had. :) The endless treadmill that is PoE!
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Nakhaght wrote:
Hi there. I've got a question. Is this build viable for a new, hardcore player? If yes, could you tell me attack gems combination? I'm still quite confused with that... Should I be focused on only one gem or two?
Thanks for your answers.

Greetings, Nakhaght!

Yes, it would work for a hardcore player. I would not suggest a melee build for a new hardcore player, unless you have a lot of experience in standard first. There are just a out of things out there in PoE you need to be careful with, especially as a melee. Having experience in standard, you would know what all of those things are. That said, this is the most survivable melee build.

For hardcore, you probably want to choose a ranged melee attack skill like spectral throw or lightning strike and ride your shift key to stand back and avoid taking too much heat. The tradeoff for the added safety is you won't do as much damage.

I can survive quite some time in hardcore toe-to-toe with the monsters, and we did have one person make it to 85 in hardcore with this build using heavy strike.

Thanks for the reply. I chose Lightning strike - would it work till endgame? I was thinking about this combination: Lightning Strike -> Life Leech (firstly Life on Hit, of course) -> Faster Casting -> Lesser Multiple Projectiles.
Well for lolz you can watch me die fast death
ign Bester, Godlymen, boomwiz, in game from 10pm till 1am most of the time (GMT).
Hi sovyns

Can we have a faq ;) better fot you lol

And i love pvp can we have your suggestion for a single target dps combos ( 4 auras? Phase run? Blood rage...?)

Thx a lot
"
Nakhaght wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I chose Lightning strike - would it work till endgame? I was thinking about this combination: Lightning Strike -> Life Leech (firstly Life on Hit, of course) -> Faster Casting -> Lesser Multiple Projectiles.

I would go for faster attacks instead of faster casting. Don't forget weapon elemental damage, it is good for lightning strike. LMP is fine but may not be required. Experiment with those three to figure out which two are best for you, assuming 4-link.

Yes, you can complete the game with your attack skill of choice. How strong or what gear is required to meet your clearing speed tolerance threshold would be up to you to determine. The build is mainly the defensive part as that's the big deal in mapping -- survival.

I have only personally tested heavy strike into mapping with the build, but others seem to be doing fine with various choices as listed in the guide.
Last edited by Sovyn on Nov 17, 2013, 5:29:00 PM
"
Styrkor wrote:
Hi sovyns

Can we have a faq ;) better fot you lol

And i love pvp can we have your suggestion for a single target dps combos ( 4 auras? Phase run? Blood rage...?)

Thx a lot

Best DPS I have heard of with the build involves just stacking heavy strike with high physical damage mods on gear.... could try this:

hat: Abyssus

belt: Meginord's

rings - physical damage

Auras: hatred + haste (if possible)

Opener - Leap slam with curse on hit + vulnerability

Weapon - legacy soul taker or rare with even higher physical damage

chest 6L with HS + melee damage on full life + melee physical + multistrike + faster attacks + added fire damage

Should break 30k DPS with that setup. With only 30K, you would be relying on your tankiness to win in PvP, rather than your burst damage capability.
"
Borislav wrote:
Well for lolz you can watch me die fast death

Wow! He did get lucky there. :)
"
Sovyn wrote:
Wow! He did get lucky there. :)

Nop not lucky, that AOE is unavoidable it seems. so this map just raped me (no a map but a boss) out of 2 bosses i manged to kill only one, + double boss at another 74 map with spiders and here i am 0 exp when i had 50%.
So a little remainder to all new members this build will not make you a invincible (but close to it) so dont get to cocky like i did. AND DONT use it if you dont like to beat mobs face to face (yes you can be halve range with some skills, but it is not worth it), i like this build because it is FUN (and i hate ranged classes, played barb in D3 and war in WoW both in tank mode and had all the other classes who could tank)

actually i should have used HS for a bit of stun =/ or a faster kill.

PS sorry for my bad english.
PSS every thing i say is directed to end game, at the beginning it is better to be ranged by having some ranged attacks (well it is better to be ranged at all times because less chance to get bad chain of events, and more time to react).
ign Bester, Godlymen, boomwiz, in game from 10pm till 1am most of the time (GMT).
Last edited by Borislav on Nov 17, 2013, 7:10:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info