Mappers absolutely suck

there is one crap thing with the hijacks - i noticed that a single boss hijack will stop all 3 map devices from progressing until you defeat it or pay the ransom. This happens offline. Online the map devices unaffected by the hijack do progress.
I think across the challenge I got 4-5 mappers actually died.

Doesnt really happen at a high rate from what I could tell. Maybe people arent looking at the chance or dont have good mappers?
"Just goes to show your complete lack of knowledge on the matter. If you had any actual experience with melee" -Melee "Expert"
My main issue is how tedious they are to manage.

It is a ton of picking 12 maps x3 , scouring them if they are blue, alching them throwing them in each mapping device

Then going through 12 - 36 tabs of mostly garbage looking for the handful of good loot.

All while burning hundreds of thousands of gold over the course of those 36 maps.

All that down time micromanaging adds up.

I personally would have much rather had just one map device that we could have upgraded more to cut down on the busy work.

The random 1% deaths was annoying but if you were fishing for other level 10s for your other parts of town you would have built up a decent reserve of atleast level 9 mappers

and you really don't need full crews of level 10 mappers to run all of those junky t16s you will have surplus of by the time your town is built up.
Weird, Mappers did good for me, Nw i only use them to do fragments maps (conquerors etc) and non-t16s.

Just ensure to stay at something like 90+% chances to complete... Which can require levels 10 and 9 but no necessarly... You can do 120% quant corrupts T8 too... Big amounts of lifeforce along with tons of things which can be useful.
I send my motley crew of lvl 9 mappers to alch and go t16 maps I don't like the layout of. Sure, the item loot mostly sucks, but I get a lot of quality gems and splinters and things. And the random chaos is a lot better than vendoring those maps for a wisdom scroll.
Softcore, solo self-found.
----- Currently: -----
Power Siphon Locus Mine Trickster in Settlers of Kalguur
I think its good to have it like this even if its annoying since its not just afk simulator league. Cant just login 2-3 times a day to setup your town farming

"
Universalis wrote:
Weird, Mappers did good for me, Nw i only use them to do fragments maps (conquerors etc) and non-t16s.

Just ensure to stay at something like 90+% chances to complete... Which can require levels 10 and 9 but no necessarly... You can do 120% quant corrupts T8 too... Big amounts of lifeforce along with tons of things which can be useful.

Im starting late to league and just about to get level 9 and 10 mappers. Excited to try this out thanks
“Not a single item of importance [in the news]. A tower of illusion, all of it, made of illusory bricks and full of holes. If life were made up only of important things, it really would be a dangerous house of glass...So everybody, knowing the meaninglessness of existence, sets his compass to home.”
Last edited by Gotmilk on Sep 10, 2024, 12:53:23 PM
I have only one team, started with scrap and now slowly upgrading it (when mapper die i get new one with better skill).

Started with white maps, noone died but after hitting yellow all those below yellow skill tag died. Loot is kinda useful because in SSF everything is useful but without any exclamation marks. And i agree - it is irritating when one dies and rest just wait untill you tell them to do their job.

Why they cannot be like smelters?
"
de99ial wrote:
I have only one team, started with scrap and now slowly upgrading it (when mapper die i get new one with better skill).

Started with white maps, noone died but after hitting yellow all those below yellow skill tag died. Loot is kinda useful because in SSF everything is useful but without any exclamation marks. And i agree - it is irritating when one dies and rest just wait untill you tell them to do their job.

Why they cannot be like smelters?

Because risk would increase dramatically with every mapper dead, so if one dies while you're offline and the rest carry on your risk might jump from 1 to 10 to 30% risk and you end up with everyone dead.

The difference is that smelters don't die.
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
I like my mappers. I use two teams; one team of 6xT10 mappers running red maps, and one team running left-over yellow maps (and lower level red maps)

The map running mechanic is a passive system, generating rewards either WHILE you are generating rewards elsewhere (maps), or while you're not even playing at all. And this system is in addition to the boats, bringing in heaps of rewards. I'm not really sure what people are expecting...?

I use my mappers to "fish" for divination cards. With my best team, I mostly run maps which drop The Fortunate card. And this works. And between Valdo boxes, pure divines, The Fortunate cards and some lower currencies, I find the system enough rewarding for the low effort you put into it. As a passive system it's rewarding enough.

Remember; it's better to have your mappers run lower tier maps if the chance of completion is low. If you're forcing high tier maps upon low(er) tier mappers, you will almost never 100% complete a map. And a 100% completed yellow map gives (in average) better reward than a partially completed red map.

I think the only thing I would change with the system, is a check box: If a mapper dies, the best unassigned map runner would automatically take his place. It sucks setting up 24 maps, take a break just to come back and find out that a runner died on the first map.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Sep 11, 2024, 5:44:59 AM
"
ArtCrusade wrote:

Because risk would increase dramatically with every mapper dead, so if one dies while you're offline and the rest carry on your risk might jump from 1 to 10 to 30% risk and you end up with everyone dead.

The difference is that smelters don't die.

That makes sense. THX.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info