Make Spell Suppression less mandatory

I kinda wanted to test one setup, was started building but not playing much at all currently. That setup is: enfeeble aura, grace, blind through "born in the shadows" from jewels for blind and that 15% reduced damage taken from blinded, meladiction a special corrupt mod from "glimpse of chaos" unique helm which gives another 10% reduced damage taken, Kongming's Stratagem which gives 30% reduce spell damage taken from blinded enemies, and blade dance. For offense incinerate with instant cast frostblink which does not interrupt channeling.

All this translates to 25% reduced non spell dmg taken, 55% reduced spell dmg taken plus enfeeble and bladedance, spell suppression, on heavily evasive build.
However I havent done a pob yet, hence the curiosity. Most likely going to be trash as 90% of cases. But the idea that its possible to reduce spell damage by 55% without spell suppression is interesting.
Last edited by Andrius319 on May 22, 2024, 5:40:33 AM
SS and Max Res were on par with each other until they added Exposure on enemies.
Unlike Elemental Pen it affects all damage from all sources.

Off the top of my head base SS is 88/89% against Hits 75/77% against Degens.
Max Res is 83-85% against everything.

Pretty fair trade IMO. However Exposure only has half effect on SS Hits. Where SS really starts to take the lead is when you try anything Max Res without a shield.
"Never trust floating women." -Officer Kirac
"
sidtherat wrote:

Spell Suppression is a failed concept - in a game with spells and dots being primary killers you introduce a mechanic that cuts their power in half (or more).

? suppression doesn't work on DoTs its the biggest argument for max res tbh.

I personally don't think spell suppression is mandatory I play characters without it and do fine, you do have to use one of the other defensive cheeses to address penetration though.

Ironically I agree with the OP's statement, I think they should have just cut damage across the board and lowered SS's effectiveness with probably a few of the other top performing defence setups too.

I look at defence now and just frown its such a mess, some of its depth for character development sure but alot of it is just obscure railroading down specific paths.
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

Spell Suppression is a failed concept - in a game with spells and dots being primary killers you introduce a mechanic that cuts their power in half (or more).

? suppression doesn't work on DoTs its the biggest argument for max res tbh.

I personally don't think spell suppression is mandatory I play characters without it and do fine, you do have to use one of the other defensive cheeses to address penetration though.

Ironically I agree with the OP's statement, I think they should have just cut damage across the board and lowered SS's effectiveness with probably a few of the other top performing defence setups too.

I look at defence now and just frown its such a mess, some of its depth for character development sure but alot of it is just obscure railroading down specific paths.

Nope!

"
Spell Suppression is a type of mitigation associated with dexterity. By default, it provides a chance to halve the damage of hits and ailments inflicted by spells.

https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Spell_suppression
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
Last edited by ArtCrusade on May 22, 2024, 11:04:54 AM
+1.

...Sort of.

Spell Suppression is far too good right now and too easy to get compared to other damage mitigation layers which is why it often feels mandatory, especially on HC builds. I don't know if I want it to be made weaker, though? Maybe just make it harder to roll, or even impossible to get on hybrid gear. I don't remember the last time my endgame armor wasn't a Lamellar or Carnal, because even on pure ES builds a few hundred shield points is nowhere close to getting 20% SS on your body piece in terms of practical survivability.

I think a better solution than targeting SS is to provide similarly useful damage mitigation modifiers on armor and ES bases, probably limited to pure armor and pure ES gear so that they can't stack and become the new "mandatory" defensive layer.
AR and ES armours already have 'perk' defences. problem with them - they just suck in comparison

ES - faster start of ES recharge. very fun stat but only works if all in. that requires precise gear setup and limits the builds a lot (shield is mandatory)

AR - additional %PDR (on chests only)

ofc hybrid pieces have access to both their pools.

i would actually consider getting %PDR on gloves/boots/helmets but that wont happen - GGG does not allow 100% reduction but they are fine with 50% reduction with 100% chance (that happen to stack with other reductions). %PDR is just worded badly, so GGG doesnt like it and so we stay with leftower roll on a chest. it is nice, not gonna lie (affects DoTs as well) but there are so many better chest affixes to pick from.
"
sidtherat wrote:
AR - additional %PDR (on chests only)

Armour shields also have it. :)

Wished they allowed %PDR rolling on pure armour gloves, boots and helmets and removed suppress from hybrid bases tbh
"
ArtCrusade wrote:

Nope!

Lets not pretend that relevant DoTs = ignite/poison you can get immunity to both easily so acting like this is a dealbreaker is completely disingenuous
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
"
ArtCrusade wrote:

Nope!

Lets not pretend that relevant DoTs = ignite/poison you can get immunity to both easily so acting like this is a dealbreaker is completely disingenuous

Whoa, why so combative? Dots are a big category and I merely added some extra info before some unfortunate reader thinks suppression doesn't work against any dots.

Nothing about that is disingenous. How would it be? You're being very unreasonable.
Its not really combative when you try and summarise what i said with a "Nope!"

It isn't like those things aren't of some value but it really doesn't influence what I was talking about, it absolutely is disingenuous and you know better yourself :p

Nobody ever went spell suppression to reduce an ignite
Last edited by Draegnarrr on May 22, 2024, 4:33:05 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info