Xp penalty for dying

"
Coconutdoggy wrote:
"
navigator4223 wrote:
Honestly, I have three reasons why I gave up on this game.

1. The combination of arbitrary, ultra low threshold, chat bans, which also lead to being unable to participate in trade

2. The XP penalty

3. The intentionally bad QoL trade

Game could appeal to much broader audience, but investing my hard earned money into MTX just to get trade banned for using a wrong combination of numbers or wasting away hours of my precious lifetime because of XP loss is not what I'm after.

1) Why did you get muted in the first place? Multiple offenses; Next!

2) Learn from your mistakes

3) Intentional - Devs want friction.

1. Never got muted, but the risk of losing invested MTX money and time spent playing is too high with the ultra low threshold for trade bans

2. No, you misspelled "learn to avoid risks and do just whats safe and boring until you reach level 100"

3. Thats a terrible design philosophy - tools should be as easy and frictionless to use, if developers want challenge, it should be implemented as challenge, not as bad QoL
1. conduct yourself properly and don't bring up inflammatory topics in a global chat that is read by tons of different kinds of people
2. XP penalty punishes bad decision-making and bad builds that don't properly build defences. I still run T17s in HCSSF and level 100 is just something that happens naturally when you play a character for longer (and know what you're doing)
3. if you need reasons for why trade needs QoL the trade manifesto is one google search away

you may not agree with those reasons, but as you have almost moved on from PoE you are one step away from not having to argue the point anymore

and seriously, how hard is it for people to not throw around personal insults? it's not like they delete your MTX either, disingenuous af.
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
Last edited by ArtCrusade on May 2, 2024, 6:58:14 AM
You can get muted for helping other people if your explanation is too long. No insults or spam needed.

/Edit since you likely won't believe it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1aphrqy/gggs_mute_system_in_all_its_glory_96_hour_mute/
Last edited by Baharoth15 on May 2, 2024, 7:07:36 AM
"
Baharoth15 wrote:
You can get muted for helping other people if your explanation is too long. No insults or spam needed.

/Edit since you likely won't believe it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1aphrqy/gggs_mute_system_in_all_its_glory_96_hour_mute/

When I have to type a longer explanation for someone I just dm them

But yeah, agreed that there should just be a lower character limit on global chat if players are not supposed to use them

Still, doesn't have anything to do with the actual topic which is the xp penalty. Someone just felt like a little extra venting and threw that bit in there on top
Ok, I know I'll get a lot of pushback probably, but here we go.

Ever since Diablo 2 I was a severe defender of the XP penalty. I believe there needs to be punishments for bad/unbalanced builds. Otherwise everyone will just play glasscannons and the game will be even more lobsided.
Actually just like ArtCrusade I usually giggled inside whenever a thread like that came up, basically every league.

That said, I changed my stance when it comes to the penalty in PoE ever since Last Epochs Launch.
The reason for that is just the difference in experience during my playtime.

In Last Epoch, u can naturally reach max level, just by playing and doing whatever u want. The punishment comes with u losing the map and rewards if u die.
Now that might seem like it's the same thing, but really u just "lose" stuff u didn't potentially get instead something u already achieved. Because of that, it never felt as bad for me to do those things, even tho I could potentially fail.
I had a great time in LE and I still never reached lvl 100 (main was at 99), but the overall experience was so much better than what I'm having in PoE most of the time.

In PoE u're going to lvl ~95 pretty quickly with an average build. After that it gets a little tricky, u'll build some more defenses and dmg of course and might be ready to push to 97/98. From this point on, trying to level in normal fashion, without 5way or any other carry bs, it becomes a chore and the worst part about it is... u can't/won't do any difficult or potential fatal content anymore.
U know if u fuck up even once, u lose hours of playtime. That feeling imo is so bad that it sours the whole experience in huge ways.

Now there's 2 ways to solve that currently, that kinda work but imo don't eliminate the problem:

1. Playing a hyper defensive focused build or "meta" build that someone else figured out:
Well that works obviously, but if I want to play a hyper defensive build, I'm going to play Hardcore for the whole League and not Softcore. When I'm choosing SC, I want to do something different. That doesn't mean that there aren't builds that do both, but it's much more limited especially in item choice right now.
Also I don't wanna run a build anyone else figured out. Sometimes I do because of time constrains, but creating ur own build is what makes PoE great imo.

2. The "new" Omen of Amelioration, which protects 75% of ur XP when dying. That one is probably the best way to not get completely frustrated right now, but even then... even the thought of losing 2,5% of my already earned XP keeps me away from potentially difficult content.

So that was my explanation why I think the XP penalty should be changed into something different now. What that might be, I'm honestly not sure.
Maybe reducing the amount of portals per map/boss to 1 or 2 per player might work, but PoEs mapping system is way different from LEs Monolith system and I can see problems arising there.
In LE u don't have any costs when running Monoliths, so losing that map just means u don't get the reward and have to rerun it. In PoE u invest alot into the maps and losing all of that again is a very bad feeling and shifts the penalty just from being XP to being currency.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if GGG just increased the XP needed by 100% to reach max level. Keep the progression to lvl 90 as is and then start juicing it up, like D2 did back in the day.

Well anyway, that's my 2 cents and I'm sure there's a lot to take apart in my post, but maybe try to focus on getting an alternative than just repeating the same old stuff we already know, because I believe it would benefit the game and the overall experience in SC.
It's not easy to change ur stance on something u truely believed for over 20 years I know that much.
Last edited by Sadaukar on May 2, 2024, 8:20:07 AM
"
vio wrote:
fuckups need to be punished somehow.

they could increase the penalty though if you die in a party where you should have safer gameplay.

Losing XP just needs to go. Me fucking up, OK, fine, maybe. But 99% of my deaths in the mid 90's are complete BS, like being off-screen one-shot by 10,000 unseen fireball throwers or breezing through a cake-walk map just to be randomly, instantly killed by literally who the fuck knows. No clue what happened. There is no combat log. Before and after the instant death, the map was cake. There was literally nothing that should have been able to kill me, but yet it happened, and is more infuriating than being off-screen fireball'd to death. For this complete BS, I should not lose my XP/leveling progress for the last hour of more, which is a day more if you only have time to play for 30 minutes to an hour a day.

When I only have time to login and play one map, with the only goal being get more XP towards the next level, nothing pisses me off more than being BS one-shot killed during the map and having to log out with less XP than I had two days ago.
"
Galtrovan wrote:
"
vio wrote:

they could increase the penalty though if you die in a party where you should have safer gameplay.

Losing XP just needs to go. Me fucking up, OK, fine, maybe. But 99% of my deaths in the mid 90's are complete BS, like being off-screen one-shot by 10,000 unseen fireball throwers or breezing through a cake-walk map just to be randomly, instantly killed by literally who the fuck knows. No clue what happened. There is no combat log. Before and after the instant death, the map was cake. There was literally nothing that should have been able to kill me, but yet it happened, and is more infuriating than being off-screen fireball'd to death. For this complete BS, I should not lose my XP/leveling progress for the last hour of more, which is a day more if you only have time to play for 30 minutes to an hour a day.

When I only have time to login and play one map, with the only goal being get more XP towards the next level, nothing pisses me off more than being BS one-shot killed during the map and having to log out with less XP than I had two days ago.

No that's STILL YOU FUCKING UP if you're being offscreen'd / dying in one hit guess what is? Go ahead.

A build issue.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Coconutdoggy wrote:
"
Galtrovan wrote:
"
vio wrote:

No that's STILL YOU FUCKING UP if you're being offscreen'd / dying in one hit guess what is? Go ahead.

A build issue.

Being one-shot by 10,000 instantly appearing fireball explosions launched from unseen, off-screen mobs is not dying in one hit, it's being instantly killed, one-shot, by 10,000 hits from off-screen. This is not a build issue. It's a BS game mechanic issue.
"
Galtrovan wrote:
Being one-shot by 10,000 instantly appearing fireball explosions launched from unseen, off-screen mobs is not dying in one hit, it's being instantly killed, one-shot, by 10,000 hits from off-screen. This is not a build issue. It's a BS game mechanic issue.

Are you talking about skelly mages?

Who dies to skellymages in 2024 lmao.

Get your res capped and spell suppression and you should never die to that, ever.

I haven't seen a single offscreen death in 2 years. If this is such a regular thing for you, that may indeed be a skill / build issue.
Last edited by ArtCrusade on May 2, 2024, 9:14:37 AM
See he could have went to POB shit I could do it right now but I'm likely not going to like what I find it's probably glass.

Learn from the mistakes?
Why did I die in 1 hit?

NOBODY DIES TO SKELE MAGES MAN.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info