T17 maps are making me want to quit the game

+1, quit this league super fast
I came back after 5 years and played the heck out of affliction but stopped a few weeks into necro.

T17 maps are one of the issues but its also the fact it landed in the same patch as a spreadsheet crafting league.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Even when you have a powerful character these locked/forced modifiers (some of them are truely annoying) and the way we need to optimize the farming because of the cost is not attracting, it feels like something is restricted in the whole gameplay.

I think it's more fun to quickly burn few T16s with large layouts and 350-400% quantity with augmented mods (atlas) instead. Problem: no uber fragments and no "more" currency/scrabz
Last edited by Universalis on May 26, 2024, 8:14:50 PM
the poor itemization of necro things and forced stash hoarding got me out, feels really bad, when we all know they can manage items in small league boxes really easy, such as the expedition and heist i.e.
I like the idea of t17 maps, and I do think the bosses within them are fun and enjoyable and just generally a good addition. The actual maps or rather mods added for t17 maps...

Things like "Players and their Minions deal no damage for 4 out of every 10 seconds"

and was meant to be unmodifiable make me think the people who made this game fun to play no longer work there anymore.
Also some of the new monster types are just going to be absolute garbage once we can not replace them with an allflame in the future.
Annoying corpses & T17 maps. Even with a multi mirror character T17 are not enjoyable at all to play. Worst league i've ever played. About to quit the league probably.
Last edited by BlueSyrius on May 27, 2024, 4:52:15 AM
T17 maps are the same song we've heard several times before.

New, power creeped content which is both a positive and a negative. Positive as they introduce new content, new challenges and new 'reasons' to improve your characters. Negative as they multipliy the problems we already have when it comes to balance.

Sadly, there are some problems with the implementation - as always.

IF they are hellbent on keeping T17 maps as rewarding as they are, they need to be much rarer. And IF they become rarer, they need to drop more uber splinters. It seems to me that there have been MORE than enough T17 maps on the market. The supply has been too great - at least for what T17 maps were meant to be. Make the supply lower, make people that "refuse" to run T16 maps themselves pay more for T17 maps. Some people will of course always be able to buy all the T17 maps they need, but at least they have to compete more with eachother.

That is just my opinion, and I understand it can be an unpopular one.

But what WILL GGG do? I think they will tone down the loot and tone down some of the stupid mods. And maybe, just maybe, T17 maps will be what they told us they would be; a bridge to uber bosses and not a farming/loot fiesta, making regular mapping obsolete.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Maps have a somewhat linear progression in difficulty as you go up the tiers. That does not apply, in any way, to a T17 map.

If you can comfortably clear a T13, you can go up to T14. If you can comfortably clear a T15, you can go up to T16. If you can comfortably clear a T16, a T17 map will basically tell you to go fuck yourself. They are not comparable, at all. The mods alone are worlds apart.

Mods such as:

* Players have -2 to maximum number of Summoned Totems
* Players and their Minions deal no damage for 4 out of every 10 seconds
* 15% of Damage Players' Totems take from Hits is taken from their Summoner's Life instead
* Players have 4% reduced Action Speed for each time they've used a Skill Recently
* Players cannot gain Power Charges, Frenzy Charges or Endurance Charges

...are among the worst I have ever seen in any game to date. These few alone completely brick a whole range of builds. There's no challenge or high difficulty here, it's straight up punishment. Spiteful punishment, just shy of hatred.

That's like doing a RL1 Elden Ring run but you can only do 1 damage per hit. Not literally impossible, I think, but it might as well be. You would have to be a total masochist to do this, and I doubt that even the most hardcore challenge runners, if successful, would be honest when they say they enjoyed that.

Aside from certain T16 content, such as Guardians or Vaal Temple that are outliers to your generic T16 maps, there is nothing that currently has such insane scaling.

Even now, The Shaper, by definition, still is a DPS check. Especially when you fail to successfully stack the Vortexes in safe spots. You can technically soft-lock the fight for yourself. Even worse when witnessed and with Maven's healing spam. Healing reduction means nothing when she heals him during invulnerability phases. That can be off-putting to players that make their first builds and finally get there.

T17 maps are not a stepping stone to Ubers, since Ubers are, for the most part, a DPS check, skill and knowledge aside. Their main downside is the 70% less Damage taken modifier, and the higher stats they get. The extra challenges just add to the player's skill requirement, but a DPS check is something you can't bypass with skill.

Doesn't matter if Shaper now fires 3 projectiles at once, among other shenanigans, if your very same build now also has to deal with a huge damage penalty on top. It could be viable for everything else in that fight, but maybe just that penalty makes it impossible. That's the part of the design that is so utterly bad it makes me wonder how it ever got approved in the first place.

I think the whole idea of making/calling them T17 maps was a HUGE mistake. And so was the general design of Ubers.

/rant
Original creator of the "Poor Man's Ward Loop" build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3480922
Windows 11 Enterprise 64-bit, i7-13700K 5.30GHz
PNY RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X, 32GB DDR5-6000 CL36
Samsung 980 Pro, Seasonic Prime GX 850W Gold
"
Aside from certain T16 content, such as Guardians or Vaal Temple that are outliers to your generic T16 maps, there is nothing that currently has such insane scaling.

I'll list some that are on par with the lower end of T17s:

- 80% deli+beyond
- Expedition of Archaeology
- Twist of Fate
- Ultimatum of Catalysing+Inscription

"
Scarletsword wrote:
I'll list some that are on par with the lower end of T17s:

- 80% deli+beyond
- Expedition of Archaeology
- Twist of Fate
- Ultimatum of Catalysing+Inscription

They are all optional. Uber boss damage penalty is not optional. T17 scaling is not optional.

Comparing the self-imposed challenge of extra content to a dilluted mod pool with basically only negative outcomes all around is just silly, really.
Original creator of the "Poor Man's Ward Loop" build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3480922
Windows 11 Enterprise 64-bit, i7-13700K 5.30GHz
PNY RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X, 32GB DDR5-6000 CL36
Samsung 980 Pro, Seasonic Prime GX 850W Gold

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info