so, about that 3.25 melee rework - how to not kill melee entirely in few steps:

I agree.

The biggest problem with melee is extremely low damage, even with very strong weapons. The only melee skill I've had success with is Boneshatter. I actually beat hardcore campaign this league using it. I do not feel Boneshatter is overpowered. It's just actually viable and functional as a melee skill.

I have pondered the issue with Boneshatter, and I think it is a good model for buffing other melee skills. The reason Boneshatter is so much better is:

1. It does a lot of damage.
2. It is AOE.
3. It has an intrinsic defensive layer as part of it's own attack. You are rewarded with more damage for stunning enemies.

This kind of pattern could be repeated for many other skills, where powerful buffs/debuffs can reward the player with defenses to compensate for having to be within melee range. OP already suggested "fortify by default", which is a good step in the right direction.

This is the key drawback of going melee. Ranged skills have an intrinsic advantage in this regard, where their built in "defensive layer" is being able to be far away. And of course, a big damage and AOE pump is needed for every melee skill that isn't Boneshatter.

For example, what if Wild Strike got a rework and became viable? It might actually be a fun skill! For example:

Reworked Wild Strike
Melee, Strike, Attack, Prismatic, Projectile
<does the stuff Wild Strike already does but with more damage>
Gives the player a wild strike charge whenever they inflict an elemental ailment on an enemy, up to 50 max. Wild strike charges have a 4 second duration, decaying one charge at a time. -2% elemental ailment duration on you per wildstrike charge. Can inflict 1 additional ignite on an enemy per 25. Maximum chill effect and maximum shock effect increased by +0.5% per charge. At 50 wildstrike charges, fire damage also scorches, cold damage also brittles, and lightning damage also saps.

The best thing about Boneshatter is that it has no delay on the first hit.
This is especially matter during leveling.
Last edited by Reakleaseas on Jul 13, 2024, 12:46:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info