New and Changed Gems in Path of Exile: Trial of the Ancestors

"
Kanadeara2013 wrote:
is it me or is sadism DOA for basically everything? did some quick math in POB with it and a puncture with unbound ailments and the new duration nodes and existing ones near duelist (bleed mast mainly) it turns puncture from a 14.8k dps with 21 sec duration to 17.3k dps with 2.5 sec duration, seems awful

just know that pob is bad for duration on dots
it thinks duration is just flat out more damage when its not
Where Alternate Quality?
Discord skubt#0359
"
shadowraiden wrote:
"
Kanadeara2013 wrote:
is it me or is sadism DOA for basically everything? did some quick math in POB with it and a puncture with unbound ailments and the new duration nodes and existing ones near duelist (bleed mast mainly) it turns puncture from a 14.8k dps with 21 sec duration to 17.3k dps with 2.5 sec duration, seems awful

new controled blaze support seems to benefit from aplying lots of short duration fires.
self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Controlled Blaze: less AND more damage for the exact same application? Am I reading that wrong? What would be the point of separating them like that, if they fall under the same condition?

*ed: never mind, the less damage mod is for the ATTACK whereas the more mod is for the IGNITE. Missed that subtlety
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Aug 14, 2023, 8:31:11 PM
"
shadowraiden wrote:
"
Kanadeara2013 wrote:

oh i know, the point is that it gains ok dps, BUT at the cost of 20 sec duration, so you needing to constantly reapply it over, and over, and over. That usually doesnt lend it self well to the DoT playstyle and makes if feel really un fun to play. i took it further and got all skill effect duration on the tree and got it to 3.7 sec, which seems really bad (imo) for puncture. typically to scale the damage you use snipe, which you need to channel. would be like having to constantly use bane or ED to reapply dots.

only good use i can think of is with the new controlled blaze? since you are constantly reapplying ignite so the duration doesnt matter and fits that playstyle? idk seems like the gem wasnt designed very well or maybe im missing something.
:LOGIN:
Does Locus Mine become the 'You' if paired with Returning Projectiles?

Keep up the great work!!! Super pumped :)
Yeah dats pwetty kewl
Rip ruthless
"
Kanadeara2013 wrote:
oh i know, the point is that it gains ok dps, BUT at the cost of 20 sec duration, so you needing to constantly reapply it over, and over, and over. That usually doesnt lend it self well to the DoT playstyle and makes if feel really un fun to play. i took it further and got all skill effect duration on the tree and got it to 3.7 sec, which seems really bad (imo) for puncture. typically to scale the damage you use snipe, which you need to channel. would be like having to constantly use bane or ED to reapply dots.

only good use i can think of is with the new controlled blaze? since you are constantly reapplying ignite so the duration doesnt matter and fits that playstyle? idk seems like the gem wasnt designed very well or maybe im missing something.

It's useful for every DoT build that is not reliant on stacking DoTs. There are plenty out there that are single DoT for massive damage. If you have a skill that does 500k DoT over 15 seconds, this gem basically makes it 400k (or more) dps over 3 seconds. That is WAY better in functionality. That means, you can theoretically dish out 5x the damage in the same amount of time against a beefy opponent. And it makes clearing gameplay FAR smoother.

Yes, it is not so great for stacking DoT builds like poisons, unless you can mathematically figure out what speed you need to get benefit out of the gem.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Aug 14, 2023, 8:38:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info