3.20 Balance Manifesto: Monster Mods and Archnemesis

Once again, how this post should have read:

In our upcoming 3.20 expansion, we're making a number of balance changes that we'll present over several balance manifestos that deal with Archnemesis.

Problem:
The Archnemesis system was intended to streamline and easily identify enemy modifiers. However, we acknowledge that this is having the opposite effect. Enemy modifiers are even more complicated than they were before Archnemeis and unable to be determined at a glance, despite the lack of information available on Archnemesis modifiers.

Solution:
We're scrapping Archnemesis altogether. As hard as we worked it this, it just isn't working out and we acknowledge that it is forcing many players to leave the game permanently.

Summary:
We hope this change will allow people to come back to Path of Exile.
"If there's one thing that being on the internet since the dawn of time has taught me, it's that gamers are among the dumbest consumers, and will constantly buy something they don't like."
-jdp29
Good changes! Looking forward to seeing how they feel!
Sounds better than it was, but I want to test it.
3.15 was a joke. 3.19 was a disaster. Archnemesis/Ruthless/Crucible(Archnemesis 4.0?) - worst ideas. Ruthless is a joke, a waste of resources. PoE2(exilecon version) was super disappointing.
Last edited by vahu on Nov 16, 2022, 3:30:17 PM
Good, maybe we can have fun again!
"
Quite disappointing.

Archnemesis gave monster mods a huge identity, you didn't need to squint eyes at many small mods and try to figure out what will be happening - it's easier for me to read and mentally digest a single mod that does multiple things than multiple mods that do single things.

Another part of identity was their specific mechanics, what to look out for and specific reward you could get excited for, it was a cool thing whenever I knew I was going to get a lot of fractured items. Too bad people felt mentally REQUIRED to MF cull service whenever they saw something bigger, I never bothered.

Some resistance/damage mitigation changes as well as other numeric changes were in order perhaps, but not a big gutting like this.

Too bad, the game lost an interesting facet to it and we are back to monsters with a table underneath their name full of simple terms.
It certainly fulfills the goals: of making it simpler, less spiky, more boring and samey.

[Removed by Support] But you are entitled to your opinion. Most people hated the 10+ mods a single modifier had and looking up said modifier to see why they died, then had to look up the monster that they died to to see what initial modifers they had. And the stacking effects of both which end up being amplified. Then to top it off, a large portion of people hated the loot goblin thing brother. If you review retention rates and how fast numbers dived off a cliff, even if the league mechanic was crap, people may have still played if this wasn't a thing.

But if you found it interesting you do you brother. No harsh feelings in any shape but yeah the game was in a horrible state with current arch nem. Though that is not the only thing and more reasons behind it.
Last edited by Lisa_GGG on Nov 16, 2022, 3:32:59 PM
Those redditors who still complain about MF.

They implemented a new reward structure that is hidden. MF in this game has it uses and is part of its DNA from POE's inception.

The entire code that is behind the generation of the final drop on the ground, shouldn't be of concern to the player. That is in the hands of GGG.

For example if I create a random function.

def generateUnique():
index = random(seed=43224)
drop_item = database[index + 2]

Are you going to complain that your Headhunter turned into a Kaom's Sign?
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
LOGIN
These changes look really nice on paper. I hope it feels the same in-game. Cool GGG!

To give you an idea of what to expect, we're planning to cover these topics:

Jewels and Ailment Mitigation (Nerf detected).
Courses (we'll see).
Eldritch Altar Revamp (we'll see).
Archnemesis (In Bex we trust!).
Will the touched ones make an appearance again, just maybe?
LOGIN
IGN: LeeroyLeone

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info