Announcing Ruthless

pog
20 years ago Ruthless would have been such a fun mode for me (not many different games to play and a lot of spare time), but these days wasting time wandering in act 1 for 10 days just doesn't cut it.

Kudos to the players who will play this mode tho.
Will you disable Energy Blade? Because I imagine it will directly violate your core Ruthless principles especially on an Inquisitor.

This sounds amazing, can't wait to try this out! =D

𝕹𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝕺𝖍 𝕿𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊
𝓜𝓞𝓢𝓣𝓗𝓐𝓣𝓔𝓓
"
Baron01 wrote:
[Removed by Support]

I also have a burning questions to ask:
Why? Why would GGG spend any time on this mode? Why would anyone subject themselves to playing this?

Who? Who is intended audience for this mode?

My only other point is that this could have been one of those events for November. It is unlikely I would participate but this would be fitting time-limited event just fine.

While I'm not keen on this either, they DID say that a few developers were doing it as a side project, thus no resources were wasted.
Last edited by Lisa_GGG on Nov 2, 2022, 3:59:36 PM
gg noobs :)
"
kazelone wrote:
I really hope to get into the beta !!!

Two early feedback:
- You forgot about Phase Run? (at least in the post)
- It would be cool if those skills were disabled for players but still existed (Flame Dash Totems !)

Also, with the movement skills restrictions, maybe it's finally time for Chain Hook to shine !!! (or more realistically, Flicker Strike / Consecrated Path)

SHHH you stole my Secret Tech and blabbed it all over the internet!!11

Nerf EVERYTHING until Chain Hook is good.

Then it breaks the format, and then nerf Chain Hoook.

In a more serious note, it won't be long before one or more of the mega eco clans devises a way to flood the servers with bot accounts to get skill gem tokens to milk Siosa and resell the skill gems for real money, or some such.

Or rent taxi service through acts because they have the servers' de facto monopoly on Spell Totem Support or something.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Last edited by crunkatog on Nov 1, 2022, 4:55:03 PM
Sounds super hardcore. And I love it.
"
Ruthless is not consuming significant development resources

You say that, but also custom atlas tree, custom vendor recipes, crafting changes, and the serious fuckups with Scourge, Archnemesis, Kalandra.

"
senior designers have been working on in their spare time

So the founders, because who else would have spare time with all this league and PoE 2 pressure. Also unpaid labor ftw.

"
bragging rights

Because what this community needs is more elitism.

"
Ruthless is a mode about friction, tension and anticipation

Ruthless is a mode about frustration, tedium and anxiety.

"
Ruthless is nostalgic

That's the thing with nostalgia, you think something was amazing and the best thing ever, until you try it out again years later and realize that it was actually terrible but you just didn't know better and it was the only thing you had. What you really want is to be that person again from back then with the life and free time you had. That's the real nostalgia.

"
allow skilled players to differentiate themselves from everyone else

Moar Elitism!

"
Flasks and Life/Mana are not restored upon entering town or your hideout. Vendors that sell Flasks (and Helena in your hideout) can refill them for you. This disincentivises the strategy of using Portal Scrolls as an instant full heal.

If the refill doesn't cost anything then it disincentivises nothing. It just wastes even more of the player's time walking to an NPC. But Chris has been going on and on about this for years so I guess he finally gets his way with it.

My guess is people will give it a try, realize what a monstrous waste of time it is and that it effectively requires you to play 80h/week to get anywhere and never touch it again.

Really this should just be called Snailmode or Grindfest because this is all it seems to be: just slow slow slow slow grinding. Reducing drops and getting by with what you get wasn't enough, had to gut all movement speed enhancements, too. Gotta waste more time!

I don't know if GGG are aware of this but "challenging" is not a synonym for "tedious".
Looks very cool. Appreciate the passion of the side project. Good luck to those who have the mettle to attempt it. :D

I'll be zooming in the base game, but maybe I'll drop in once I hit 40/40 in 3.20 if I still have an itch to scratch.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info