Fixing Path of Exile's Mangled Text Bug

awesome read as a fellow software dev
S L O W E R
RIP Mangled Text: April 25th, 2016 - May 30th, 2022. Well done, really appreciated the write up.
Thank you for the detailed write up! Fascinating stuff. I just wish this had been investigated and resolved sooner or that there were more userland tools available to help making reproducing the issue clearer for you all.

As a result of this, are there more opportunities to add debug/tracing tools on the developer side of the game to better and more quickly understand and reproduce bugs like this? It sounds like this required a lot of manual or blackbox reproduction to get moving, rather than a code-first or automated-testing approach.

Likewise, are there continual code reviews and/or test harnesses being written to look for cases where unsafe pointer references might exist elsewhere in the code..?

It's been a while but once upon a time, I used valgrind to semi-automate locating in c code bases where potential unsafe pointer references might exist, in attempts to squash potential buffer overflow conditions.. so I have some (likely, outdated experience) in that area.

Again, thanks for the detailed write up and of course thanks for finally squashing the bug!
Yet another unpaid Path of Exile 2 Alpha Tester.
Last edited by TwentyFiveEX on Jun 1, 2022, 6:02:12 PM
Thanks for the effort. I'll miss Tibbs brother Tleev, tho.
Last edited by Silverpelt on Jun 1, 2022, 6:02:31 PM
Nice job, that was pretty cool to see, now I wish you people to improve the current map conversion system for standard.
such a cool writeup
Great writeup, its pretty hilarious how badly memory allocation messes things up.
interesting read. As a fellow programmer I can relate to the many issues caused by those pesky pointers, haha.
More posts like this pls! very nice read
Awesome writeup. I was surprised GGG are still using GDI and Uniscribe instead of something like DirectWrite. I'm sure the text renderer has been around awhile, so I can see updating the renderer really doesn't gain anything for them. Hey it works now, no reason to update. (especially now with the cache fix!)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info