Whirling Blades

I like WB.

---- Reactions to pause.

I'd like to see a change to the standing pose after the skill is activated. It feels very risky to use. Which may be desired. I haven't gotten flicker strike or the stealth-run so I can't make any comparisons to those.

I like the idea of a simple evasion rating "buff" after using the skill (not cumulative) would feel appropriate. Maybe a flat dodge chance for non-evasion characters would be better... but this way your emphasizing the dexterity aspect. The mobility becomes safer and the damage (if low) is a bonus. (%dodge chance = 1/2 skill level?)

---- It's utility, not easy-button.

Also, I find persistent ground effects become a problem using this skill because of the standing. Which seems totally appropriate. "You can twirl through the air all you like Mr. Bond. but the floor itself! Is on fire! Ahahaahaha." *cough* I meant uh, "Mr. eXile."
Last edited by HotChaCha on Feb 20, 2013, 12:05:34 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Fillmore wrote:
bah, found the error is because item quality affects the modifiers on the weapon as well as its base stats.

I can guarantee that's not what's happening. Qual on a weapon only increases Base Damage.

Dual-wielding two Wands on my lv4 Templar gets me the proper 10% IAS listed. *shrug*
Don't know what's happening there.

"
Fillmore wrote:
But my new revelation about how attack speed bonuses on weapons affect WB leads me to believe that WB not keying off of base weapon speed is a bug.

It's how all fixed-attack time skills work; Sweep and Leap Slam become faster with on-weapon IAS, despite ignoring base Attack Speed.

I am quite sure it is that Quality affects the modifiers (or at least the attack speed one), because that makes the numbers come out as they are. With a 9% attack speed bonus on the weapon with a 20% quality it is giving an 11% attack speed bonus.
As far as WB as a whole I like it a lot; everyone says the damage is weak, which it is compared to other abilities, but they don't give you the defensive benefit of moving so on the whole I think it is well balanced as a utility ability.

The one thing I would like to see changed (other than the obvious desync issue) is for it to have a whirl in place function for when you click somewhere where it doesn't want to go. Sometimes in constricted areas you click and don't go anywhere, instead of failing to activate on an invalid location it should just have you whirl in place so at least it damages everyone around you .
Haven't read the entire thread, but WS seems to bug out quite a lot here.

Using it on a DW'ing duelist, and very often when using it multiple times in a row it seems to desync completely with the server - continuing on on the client side, but actually leaving the character behind on the server side. This is most noticeable due to the mobs you reach standing completely still doing nothing, even though you're in melee distance of them - or otherwise if suddenly taking hits although standing completely isolated, then suddenly being "teleported" back a distance to find yourself in a spot you actually moved away from, but instead the character somehow got left behind there standing still and taking hits if any mobs were close to that spot :/

Otherwise a great skill, which doesn't seem to need a boost in my opinion.
- Hvabehar
This skill's damage needs to work with dual weapons.
I love this skill when there is a little bit of lag. I feel like Brooks from anime One Piece.

I whirl trough the mobs and it looks like they are not even hit and then when I stand still for 1 sec all of sudden the mobs die. xd
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/913599 <--- mirror Thread
Last edited by PaladinSMD on Feb 22, 2013, 4:33:02 AM
WB should work more like Rain of Arrows, as an AOE attack with a rectangular shape starting from the front of you char, the whirling should just be animation fluff. This should probably fix a lot of desync issues.
Then it could be supported with increased area and concentrated effect, attack speed should shorten the time of the animation meaning more skill uses per unit of time.
Just adding my input to the desync issue of the skill.

Using it as an escape every now and again or when no enemies are around seems to work alright.

But when using the skill in a pack of enemies you can dart in and out and escape one moment only to be teleported back into the pack the next. The lag compensation is quite off and often results in an immediate death.
Hi,

I would propose that the animation at the and of whirling blades be eliminated and replaced with a cooldown of equal length. The cooldown would be shortened by attack speed, according to the currently used formula.

The basic idea of this is so that you can resume ordinary running promptly upon completing whirling blades.

p.s., just reading this thread. I think I have confirmed that the "faster casting" gem I have on my WB (which appears not to work) is intended not to work, and I should work on faster attacks instead. Can someone verify?

Yes, attacks benefit from Increased Attack Speed, and not Cast Speed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info