Whirling Blades

Playing with this skill atm and must agree with the above poster. Whirling Blades is nice IF there wouldn't be the desync/lag problems :(.

If you use it while targeting a mob this mob allways get the full damage and MAYBE some other too.
If you use it without targeting a mob it's more of luck if you hit anythink at all becouse of desync/lag.

Best way to use it atm is as "get out of trouble" util skill. As AoE-damage it's not pratical until desync is fixed.
gotto fix this seriously, kinda annoying :(
This needs to be high priority as far as fixing skills goes.

Desync issue should be top priority regardless.........
"
NacyusDrako wrote:
Okay once again,there r the novas for example...
do not tell me,they are hit the same monster only once!

If I cast ONE nove this nova hit one enemy just once!
If there are 100 enemys I still hit them all just once!

And Whirling Blades in theory does the same ;).
1 use of Whirling Blades in theory can hit infinity monsters but each just one time!

Nothing wrong here.

But that's only theory ... in reality you might or might not hit depending how bad the desync is :(. Can't count how often a monster stand next to me but I couldn't hit it. Not with melee nor with ranged attacks.
As caster it isn't that much of a problem. As melee it decides more often then not if you die or live.

If it doesn't take the second 1h into calculation it's defenitly a bug as the skill is called "whirling bladeS". Else it should be renamed to "whirling balde" without "s" ;).

Btw I don't belive this skill need a real buff except a bit more AoE-range and the ability to suport it with AoE gems/passives. If GGG bugfixes the desync and change it to use both weapons from dual wilders it would be fine.

PS: just thought ... you use 2 weapons ... it would make sense if you hit a singel monster twice peer use ... one hit peer weapon peer use ... one time with mainhand, one time with offhand ... but still need the desync fix + bit more AOE + ability to suport it with AoE gems/passive.
Last edited by Schakar on Feb 11, 2013, 3:46:06 AM
Im a ES crit Dagger shadow level 66.

This skill realy need a fix, as a crit dagger shadow my only good exape abilety is WB and around 10% of the time it fails. Like peaople already said it takes me back steps like I never used it, and it have killed me countless times. You never know when it will work.

Standing in a room whit to meny mobs and you feel you cant handel it so you use WB to get out and 3 sec later your back in that room like you never used the skill. Even tho the animation happend and for a few sec you thought you where safe is realy anoying.

I love this game and I see huge potential for it, but I cant play this shadow build any more, I delevel more then i level when i play by my self. Pprobably going to start playing some other class until you fixed this abilety.
This ability is really underwhelming.

I'm a level 28 Shadow with Dual Daggers. I run Whirling Blades with Chance to Fear + Added Fire damage. My Whirling Blades says on screen 24 dps. Unlinked Fire Trap is doing 5x that damage. My auto attack is doing 4x! I understand that it's an "AoE" movement ability. But that being said, it is pitifully weak, the desyncs from it are crazy, and even if your character didn't desync, you either appear to miss nearly every monster you had gone through with the ability or you deal the damage delayed a second after the ability finishes. The majority of the time that I cast this spell, I feel as though I wasted the Mana + the cast time. Whirling Blades is 2+ seconds of attack time, except I'm fairly certain that second long stand still is included in the time of the attack. You're not doing damage or moving while you curtsey.

You Whirling Blades your way through a pack of Zombies. Why would you stop?
Shmo's Suggestions; Dozen Skills!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/402487
Last edited by wdmshmo on Feb 11, 2013, 4:43:30 AM
I believe the DPS shows such a low number because the animation time of the attack is high. It takes into account the full animation, so the DPS number is misleading. Bottom line, it will hit every enemy in a line (when perfectly sync'd, of course), so look at your damage numbers on your character sheet to get a better representation of damage being done.

Also, even though the damage might not be as good as some other skills due to this animation time, its made up for with survivability due to the fact that you're constantly moving. Also, since its melee, all of your life on hit and life steal stats work on it. I very much enjoy this skill, and if the syncing issues were fixed, I think it'd be very strong.
Last edited by Mettle82 on Feb 11, 2013, 1:18:15 PM
The DPS display is useless; don't ever use to to compare two different skills please :)
Fire Trap is actually an excellent example. Its DPS display is complete shit. It assumes you spam the skill full-force (which is impossible), and it ignores the Ground Fire (meaning it actually deals more damage).

The best it can help with is comparing Skill A with setup X to Skill A with setup Y, and even then it only accounts for one hit; skills that fire multiple projectiles or hit multiple times per cast are always undervalued.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 12, 2013, 9:14:37 AM
It's definitely broken, as in overpowered, if the desync gets fixed. Even now it's pretty OP for me. I'm a level 40 bloodmagic duelist dual wielding and basically I just hold down my whirling blades key til everything is dead. Nothing can hit me while I'm jumping around, I have huge hp regen, I hit everything. It's true that its dps is pretty shitty but if you have a setup like I do you're literally unkillable and while it takes awhile you can whittle down huge mobs with 0 risk whatsoever.

Desyncs are a big problem, but since the spell is free with blood magic, 1.5k hp, and 3% hp regen (which will be 5% by endgame for me), if I think I'm desynced I'll just run for a bit and then come back.

I'm envisioning doing this at level 75 with life gain on hit, various elemental bonuses, resolute technique (can't be evaded,never crit), with 4k hp and 200 hp/sec regen + the life gain regen. Basically invincible provided you don't get frozen/stunned, which is easy to avoid (items, skills, etc).

Of course, it's pretty boring. I literally just hold down "w" which is my hotkey for it and move my mouse up and down across the mob until everything is dead.

And yes, whirling blade dps is broken as hell. Says I do 55 dps, it's more like 1k atm. I see a lot of people complaining about the bad damage. Something is off here...it only takes me 3-4 whirls through a mob of monsters to kill them.

Since it doesn't actually seem to benefit from dual wield, as it randomly chooses which weapon to hit with and each monster can only be hit once, I'm considered respeccing into a shield build instead because the second weapon isn't contributing anything to my whirling blades. Dual wield in general just seems very underwhelming.
Last edited by HonkHonkBeep on Feb 12, 2013, 3:44:33 PM
I take back what I said about this skill causing minor desyncs; it causes unplayable desyncs. There's no point in having a skill like this in the game if the game isn't capable of dealing with it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info