[3.10] Heraldry Cluster Guardian - 9k Es | 90% all res | 75% block | 10M+ boss dps

arcane surge support gives you 39% more multi and 19% cast speed on top of normal arcane surge buffs. There is basically no other support that competes in terms of dps. Energy leech can be subbed for the next highest dps gem which would be awakened controlled destruction.

In PoB, arcane surge support gives almost 10% more damage than awakened added lightning lvl 5. It also actually gives more dps than awakened controlled destruction lvl 5
Last edited by jsuslak313 on May 5, 2020, 10:01:06 PM
I am aware that the downside of arcane surge support is that its not up for the first 8 casts but that should take less than a second to get
"
negeos90 wrote:
see my quote, not in the pob and not in the gem section its mentioned. so the gemsetup how pob is telling me is the best until i get another source of arcan surge ?

I take your point, but the guide is quite old and arc was never the focus. Its not an uncommon pickup on poe.ninja for arc builds, I also used it on my LL Arc Guardian.
Yeah idk I think it just depends on the setup. POB has me straight taking a ~20% dps loss if I sub lightning pen or controlled destruction for arcane surge support.

Edit: Arcane surge support grants the ~20 more damage+cast speed arcane surge, and the ~20 more while you have arcane surge. The first buff is just an enhanced intrinsic surge and does not stack with arcane surge's base 10 more damage and 10 more cast speed.
Last edited by Budewnpa on May 5, 2020, 11:35:36 PM
It depends on the setup regarding arcane surge.

Mostly depends on what skill your using and also to a certain extent with the rest of your gear is like.

For me arcane surge gives me 8m dps over phys to lightning (Crit EK build with a phys converted to lightning watchers eye) while the rest of the highest dps gems are:

awakened spell echo

awakened controlled destruction

awakened elemental focus

awakened cold penetration

Will be different for everyone so will be best just POBing your character.

I can't actually cast EK with arcane surge as that will put it up to 83 a cast so I will need another level & an extra mana reserve jewel to make the change
Last edited by Shinyshield on May 5, 2020, 11:40:00 PM
@budewnpa: thats really strange...i cant really change anything around to see what you are seeing in PoB. Arcane Surge is by far the most dps support out of all of them (except awakened spell echo). In fact, it seems like my optimal dps set up (in order of most to least) would be:
awakened spell echo - arcane surge - awakened controlled destruction - awakened added lightning - inspiration. Energy leech is very close in dps to inspiration, and cold penetration is like 10% lower than all of them.

I don't really see how gearing would affect any of this since we basically have the same gear and run the same build.

Of course this only applies to arc, EK is a whole different beast
If it helps, here is my POB- it's not perfect, ofc, some things are hard to simulate, like brittle.

https://pastebin.com/TrDSe6xz

But yeah when I put the level 1 arcane surge on flame dash to simulate arcane surge from my watcher's, switching to arcane surge gives me a hard 20% dps drop.
Last edited by Budewnpa on May 6, 2020, 12:22:18 AM
yes now i got it. because i didn't simulate another source of arcane surge, i was also getting the arcane surge buff added to the buffs of the support itself. So in your case, since you already have arcane surge, the support isn't giving you 10% more spell damage and 10% more cast
The thing is, for my particular layout, even without arcane surge, subbing for the gem support still gives a ~12% dps loss. So I feel something somewhere has to be off...
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
@budewnpa: thats really strange...i cant really change anything around to see what you are seeing in PoB. Arcane Surge is by far the most dps support out of all of them (except awakened spell echo). In fact, it seems like my optimal dps set up (in order of most to least) would be:
awakened spell echo - arcane surge - awakened controlled destruction - awakened added lightning - inspiration. Energy leech is very close in dps to inspiration, and cold penetration is like 10% lower than all of them.

I don't really see how gearing would affect any of this since we basically have the same gear and run the same build.

Of course this only applies to arc, EK is a whole different beast

I am using EK so the conversion damage scales a bit differently from Arc.

Also since I am not using a cold pene watcher's eye cold penetration support is better for me.

I also have crit corrupt maligaros so I have quite high base crit so I was able to drop inspiration in favour of a different support.

All in all I think it's best to POB your character and go with it

Last edited by Shinyshield on May 6, 2020, 12:59:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info