[3.15]Archmage Ball Lightning Hierophant, will it work in Expedition?

How is this build even legal? Good survivability and insane damage within 5ex?

After a chain of disappointing builds I've tried since league start, I've finally hit the nail on the head with this one. Thanks.

btw would you recommend getting divergent ball lightning? Supercharged balls sound super insane but the price is a little too high for my taste.
Last edited by AsceticPOE on Feb 7, 2021, 8:20:18 AM
"
AsceticPOE wrote:
How is this build even legal? Good survivability and insane damage within 5ex?

After a chain of disappointing builds I've tried since league start, I've finally hit the nail on the head with this one. Thanks.

btw would you recommend getting divergent ball lightning? Supercharged balls sound super insane but the price is a little too high for my taste.

I would say things like Unnatural Instinct or a nice cluster jewel has higher priority.
Thanks!
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
"
Melnevacor wrote:
Top tier build, thank you. What do you think about using Tempered/Transcendant Mind in socket between Witch and Templar? It costs 2C, but gives me 16% mana recovery, which is better than best rolled Clarity Watcher's Eye. It allowed me to use MoM Watcher instead of recovery one to boost overall tankiness. Thoughts?

It seems like an interesting possibility, although you do lose out on a possible 7% life / 10% mana / supercrit jewel which in the end will be better for survivability AND a pretty big dps boost. At some point, our mana regen is plenty and what we really need to worry about is 1hko's.

I play non-crit version, no way any rare jewel has higher value than Tempered Mind. For me it's like that - there are 3 available sources of mana recovery stat:
1) Clarity Watcher's Eye
2) Influenced Belt
3) Tempered Mind
To play smoothly I need 2 of these sources. Picking Tempered Mind gives flexibility when it comes to Watcher's Eye or belt.
There's currently ONE double Clarity WE listed (https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Ritual/LaZRPjhn) for 40ex. So if I want to achieve 60% MoM for tankiness I'd rather pick Tempered for 2c until I can afford that.
yea if you go noncrit, then transcendent mind is a great choice.

@twittypoop: you don't really need a compass for the first 3 labs, just keep going right and it should take you max 10 minutes per lab. And thats if you are a REALLY slow player. Cmpass helps a LOT when you are farming uber lab for enchants but it is a little complicated to set up if you have never used any 3rd party software in PoE before.

In terms of Greater Spell Echo and cast speed: it really shouldn't matter in lower tier maps. I would have just dashed, cast once (=5x with echo and greater spell echo), then dash again. That single cast should be enough to kill everything.

In terms of Ele Overload: you are forgetting that you only need 1 crit on 1 single lightning bolt. If you are casting 5 orbs, and hitting like 20 enemies, hitting each enemy basically a minimum of 6 or 7 times. This comes out to about 150 hits per second and with 2% crit chance thats basically guaranteed 100% uptime on elemental overload lol.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Feb 7, 2021, 12:39:36 PM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
yea if you go noncrit, then transcendent mind is a great choice.

@twittypoop: you don't really need a compass for the first 3 labs, just keep going right and it should take you max 10 minutes per lab. And thats if you are a REALLY slow player. Cmpass helps a LOT when you are farming uber lab for enchants but it is a little complicated to set up if you have never used any 3rd party software in PoE before.

In terms of Greater Spell Echo and cast speed: it really shouldn't matter in lower tier maps. I would have just dashed, cast once (=5x with echo and greater spell echo), then dash again. That single cast should be enough to kill everything.

In terms of Ele Overload: you are forgetting that you only need 1 crit on 1 single lightning bolt. If you are casting 5 orbs, and hitting like 20 enemies, hitting each enemy basically a minimum of 6 or 7 times. This comes out to about 150 hits per second and with 2% crit chance thats basically guaranteed 100% uptime on elemental overload lol.

Thanks for explaining all that. Especially the part about Ele overload.

My main issue is that my balls do hardly any dmg and I need to sit and cast about 20 times to kill any magical packs. I only have a 5-link so I am missing out on a lot of cast speed it seems.

Should I take out one of my current gems and replace it with Echo and if so which one to sacrifice ?

I think a lot of people here are using 6-link staff and so they aren't aware that without the double echo it actually feels quite bad. My thought process was that a build this good would still be half decent even on a 5-link, but I don't think 5-link works at all for this type of build.

On 5-link my tool-tip dps is like 18k and in POB it's only 13k. I just don't understand why it's so low even for 5-link.

I'm Left of Right and far Right of Left.
Ditch LMP and go for slower projectile instead. With enough AOE the clear isn't too bad.
@twittypoop: couple easy things to really really help dps.

1st: Lvl 1 cwdt + hextouch + wave of conviction + conductivity. Basically a constant 50% MORE multi on almost everyone ur attacking.

2nd: Arcane Cloak + arcane surge (leveled up all the way). This arcane surge provides you huge amounts of damage and cast speed. Arcane cloak should be tied to your left mouse button so that everytime its ready it autocasts. Huge dps from arcane cloak and huge dps from arcane surge.

3rd: Enduring Eternal Mana flask: you really really need this asap. Constant mana regen to offset the autocast arcane cloak and help you spam spells when needed.

4th: drop lmp and use pinpoint. you get an extra projectile, plus when you are fighting a boss or hard rare just hold down the button and you get a 90% MORE multiplier.

5th: drop stone golem for lightning golem. Huge cast speed buff. You can also use Ice Golem for more crit but you really don't need it.

6th: You should be using righteous fire. With The Agnostic node on the tree and the proper mana regen, you take no damage and get an enormous MORE multi.

Not to be mean, but you said you read the build and OP but it sure seems like you didnt lol...basically all this stuff you were missing is going to multiply your damage probably 5-10x if not more. And yes, a 5L is perfectly fine to crush everything once you get all the extras sorted out.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Feb 7, 2021, 3:08:38 PM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:

1st: Lvl 1 cwdt + hextouch + wave of conviction + conductivity. Basically a constant 50% MORE multi on almost everyone ur attacking.

2nd: Arcane Cloak + arcane surge (leveled up all the way). This arcane surge provides you huge amounts of damage and cast speed. Arcane cloak should be tied to your left mouse button so that everytime its ready it autocasts. Huge dps from arcane cloak and huge dps from arcane surge.

3rd: Enduring Eternal Mana flask: you really really need this asap. Constant mana regen to offset the autocast arcane cloak and help you spam spells when needed.

4th: drop lmp and use pinpoint. you get an extra projectile, plus when you are fighting a boss or hard rare just hold down the button and you get a 90% MORE multiplier.

5th: drop stone golem for lightning golem. Huge cast speed buff. You can also use Ice Golem for more crit but you really don't need it.

6th: You should be using righteous fire. With The Agnostic node on the tree and the proper mana regen, you take no damage and get an enormous MORE multi.

Not to be mean, but you said you read the build and OP but it sure seems like you didnt lol...basically all this stuff you were missing is going to multiply your damage probably 5-10x if not more. And yes, a 5L is perfectly fine to crush everything once you get all the extras sorted out.

Man that's fantastic info there, thank you very much for going into such detail.

I have updated my gear a little to align with everything that is suggested in this build. My biggest mistake was not running Echo in the links. Just adding in Echo made it feel so much better. Damage still isn't all that great to be honest, but hey I'm a 5-link scrub.

I apologise for my ignorance, I thought I had read most of the important parts, but apparently I have glossed over the more intricate parts of it.

I will get those extra gems sorted out and see about getting some ascendancy points for the extra 10% MoM effect. At the moment I am still getting constantly one-shot in Rituals lol.

Thanks again man.

I'm Left of Right and far Right of Left.
"
jsuslak313 wrote:

I see you are using Cold Snap/CWDT in your gloves. I love your Blade Blast set up so I linked my cloak and running it now. But since I added the Cold Snap/CWDT set up it seems like the Blade Blast is not proccing. Any idea what I may be doing wrong. Thanks!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info