[On Hold] Glacial Cascade Totems [ALL Content in the Game]

After getting Ancestral Bond I started using DP totems and it was a struggle. Switched to GC totems and what a difference! Maybe DP totems are good later...

One question - can someone explain the rationale of using Controlled Destruction in a crit build? Someone asked this earlier in the thread and the response was that the 40% increase in spell damage more than makes up for the 100% reduced crit. But then why even bother with crit at all and instead take additional totem nodes, spell damage nodes, + to power charge nodes, etc. that would bump up raw damage? There obviously must be something that I am missing here.
I am confused and appreciate any replies but, help me out with the conversion of phys to cold. I see some people on here with 40% and some with 50%. I currently have 100%. Is it mandatory to run 100%? Would it hurt the dps to only run 50%. It says get 100% phys to cold with hrimsorrow, helm enchant, plus long winter or abyssal but most people I see aren't using those combos. Sorry for ignorance and thanks for any input all. Love the build!
"
RedRover57 wrote:
After getting Ancestral Bond I started using DP totems and it was a struggle. Switched to GC totems and what a difference! Maybe DP totems are good later...

One question - can someone explain the rationale of using Controlled Destruction in a crit build? Someone asked this earlier in the thread and the response was that the 40% increase in spell damage more than makes up for the 100% reduced crit. But then why even bother with crit at all and instead take additional totem nodes, spell damage nodes, + to power charge nodes, etc. that would bump up raw damage? There obviously must be something that I am missing here.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Controlled_Destruction_Support

While it's fairly easy to get the 100% crit loss using Controlled Dest like ''Shaman's Dominion'' (100% increased Global Critical Strike Chance if you've Summoned a Totem Recently). Getting ''more damage'' not ''increased'' spell damage its hard

Increased is additive with other increased damage sources, more is multiplicative over your overall damage.

Example:

Lets say you deal 100 area dmg naturally and you get 300 incresed damage from the tree, making it 100 + 300 = 400 dmg.

With another 50% increased area damage, you deal 400 + 50 = 450 dmg.

But with 50% more area damage on top of 400, you deal 400 * 1.50 = 600 dmg.

More dmg is always your current overall damage multiplied by that number, thats why support gems or pain attunment are huge dmg spikes.

You probably already take increased damage from many sources that 10 percent is close to nothing, like maybe %2 percent difference at the end, but that 60 more damage is literally what it says, you deal 60% more damage.

For example if you dont take any increased damage from the tree or somewhere else, the 40 more damage and 40 increased damage are basically same thing, but when combined with high increased damage, which is easier to get, sources with more damage make huge difference.
This world is an illusion, exile!
Totems for life!
"
RedRover57 wrote:

The key here is understanding the difference between "more/less" and "increased/reduced" modifiers.

Controlled destruction gives 44% more spell damage, and 100% reduced crit chance. "More" is a multiplicative modifier. That means you are actually literally doing 44% more damage from that modifer.

"Reduced" on the other hand is subtractive (with "increased" being its additive counterpart) which means all it does is cancel out 100% increased crit from your gear / skills.

Heck I've got more crit than that on my boots:

So the loss just isn't that big of a deal. I still have 79% chance to crit with a diamond flask up. Taking out controlled destruction only raises that to 84.5%.

"
fendius wrote:
I am confused and appreciate any replies but, help me out with the conversion of phys to cold. I see some people on here with 40% and some with 50%. I currently have 100%. Is it mandatory to run 100%? Would it hurt the dps to only run 50%. It says get 100% phys to cold with hrimsorrow, helm enchant, plus long winter or abyssal but most people I see aren't using those combos. Sorry for ignorance and thanks for any input all. Love the build!

You need 100% total but the glacial cascade skill comes with 60% so you only need another 40% from other sources. Hat enchant does it on its own. Hrimsorrow does it on its own. 2x jewels do it on their own. You don't need to combine them.

"
You need 100% total but the glacial cascade skill comes with 60% so you only need another 40% from other sources. Hat enchant does it on its own. Hrimsorrow does it on its own. 2x jewels do it on their own. You don't need to combine them.

Holy god Thank You!! The fucking gem! Duh! Now I can drop these god awful gloves:)
Last edited by fendius on Mar 9, 2018, 3:39:53 PM
Would void battery be worth it to use? Or should I search for the rare weapons suggested?
Noticed u can go 100% cold conversion, as i did. Still seems OP and others havent done that. OP seems to have fire supports and lightning supports instead? No cold pen then either. Is there one way better than other?
"
gracezzr wrote:
Would void battery be worth it to use? Or should I search for the rare weapons suggested?

Shaper weapons are a lot more powerful. Even if you did change your tree around to get all the power charges you'd still do more damage with shaper weapons. The phys as extra ele mods are just too good not to take advantage of.
"

Felt nicer than when I was at this gear level on inquisitor last league, even though I got a lucky 6-link last league (have a little better weapons this league than I had at that stage last league though). But more than the damage, which was adequate despite those very tanky map mods, was the regen. Chimera is a fight with a lot of incidental damage (add phases) and I didn't really find myself needing to flask much at all. ~420 life and ~450 mana regen per second keeps you topped up pretty well.

PoB says I'm just barely shy of 100k guardian/shaper DPS.

I also did red elder but that was predictably easy, I thought they were supposed to be buffing it compared to last league but I guess not.

Yeah they buffed elder's portal phase but the freezes in the build counters that perfectly. Normal elder and shaper are still a joke for the build, both hiero and inquisitor

Unavailable

I just finished the hardest part of the uber elder quest chain. Everything is smooth and easy so far as a Hierophant, this class is much better at getting back to max dps state fast with the totem placement speed. However judging from the dps I'm getting at T16 guardians, I feel like switching back to inquisitor with better raw dps gear might be necessary to take down uber elder.

Gear and gem setup is not optimized, gonna get a kaoms roots as they are super important in elder fights.
Also gonna need two new rings and two new weapons.Time to shop and prep for the ultimate fight!

Spoiler

Edit: Did it bois. Hierophant confirmed viable. Fight was very hard tho, almost everything oneshots. Funny thing was that totems can deal damage after you die and they don't take damage. I actually cheesed a lot a of damage lying on the ground letting the totems expire. Hierophant 100% Inc totem duration certainly helped a lot LOL.

I failed the first set with my mapping gear, and was having a hard time deciding whether i should drop the rings and the belt, but figured I would try another time going full damage mode. I think flasking the curses might be hard for this fight in particular because totems die so much and there isn't much chance to refill flask charges.

gear used to kill uber elder

+2 long winter, 1 self-flagellation, 1 rare jewel
Last edited by Exodus_820 on Mar 9, 2018, 11:03:03 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Hi, how does this build compare to the GC version of the pizza sticks totem build?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info