[3.8] LiftingNerdBro's Tri/Quad Frostbolt Totems Hierophant - Strong League Starter!

The build is so easy to play, ty topikstarter. You can check my character, my gear is cheap as sh1t (less than exalt) and i have 70 maps finished in atlas, top one is 12 tier (13 did beat the shit from me). It is awesome =P
"
haxers wrote:
I took a look at domynik05 profile and the + 1.9 comes from the inc crit strikes +12% quality.

Wow. Okay, cool. Thank you.

I realize now when I tried to test this myself I was mistakenly using an "Increased Critical Damage Support" gem instead of the "Increase Critical Strikes Support" gem. Just using that gem adds about 13.5% with the Controlled Dest. still in there. So... that will probably make up the majority of that difference...

Edit:

Ah ha! I also realized PoB is including Power Charges for critical on his build, but not on mine. Don't suppose anyone can tell me how it decides whether or not it includes that and how to change it...

Found it. What a deal, it makes sense now. Thanks again, haxers for pointing me in the correct direction.
Last edited by Mr_Tact on Aug 20, 2017, 5:17:11 PM
Just starting out I looked ahead at the trees and cant find a place for even 1 frozen trail with 40int around it.

EDIT: So the nodes dont even have to be purchased ? thats insane. I didnt see that in the patch notes
Last edited by foster21 on Aug 20, 2017, 6:12:16 PM

I'm no expert also here. I'm just basing my answers based on what I infer from wiki. So I'll try to answer this with my understanding.

AFAIK, Hypo works 100% on bosses since its not a curse.
From wiki:
"
Act and map bosses have 60% less Curse Effect.

Hypo does not need Pandemonius to work although Pandemonius aids you to chill enemy when you are hit and not on your hit. Big difference in wording here.
From wiki:
"
Chill Enemy for 1 second when Hit

Okay, i thought, it means after we hit, wouldnt it call "after getting hit" ?
When you Hit, does really mean getting hit, not hit the enemy? Sounds strange to me.

The real advantages we get from Pandemonius are the +dex, cold damage/pen, and the blind ailment when enemies are chilled. Since Pandemonius is considered "other" source of chill, its ailment/debuff effect will only slow 10% - see below for how Chill works in 3.0.

Chill Mechanics from wiki.
Spoiler
Mechanics

Any hit of cold damage, even non-criticals, has the potential to chill the target. Chill can also be inflicted by chilled ground, which chills enemies standing over them.

When a target is hit with cold damage, it becomes chilled for 2 seconds. The magnitude of the slow is directly proportional to the damage relative to the target's maximum life, equal to 30% slow at 10% of the target's maximum life dealt by Cold damage, scaling down to 0% at no damage. Chill slow is capped at 30%. Increased effect of Chill will decrease the life threshold if it goes over the slow cap. For example, with 100% increased Chill effect, dealing Cold damage equal to 5% of the target's maximum life or more will slow it by 30%.

Furthermore, when a target is frozen, it is also chilled at 30% for the freeze duration plus an additional 300 milliseconds.

Chilled ground has a fixed slowing effect of 10%. Other non-hit sources of Chill, unless otherwise specified in the debuff, will slow by 10%.

The main source of your chill comes from the raw damage output of your frostbolt. Here is how chill works in 3.0.
Spoiler
"

Chill no longer slows enemies by a fixed amount for a variable duration. Now, Chill will slow enemies for a duration of 2 seconds by an amount based on the Cold damage dealt to the enemy.
A purely Cold hit which removes 10% of an enemy's life will slow that enemy by 30% for 2 seconds, scaling linearly down to 0% at no Cold damage dealt.
Increased Effect of Chill and Increased Effect of Shock will increase the amount that each ailment affects whatever they are afflicting, up to their respective caps.
Chilled ground has a fixed slowing effect of 10%.
Other non-hit sources of Chill, unless otherwise specified in the debuff, will slow by 10%.

Okay i got this, we chill always, as long we deal dmg. So bosses/mobs who are immun to chill/freeze dont take increase dmg from hypothermia, right?

For players who needs more boss dps in acts and maps up to tier 12, use also a 5Linked chest with frostbolt and selfcast it. You will increase dps by a huge amount.
And for bosses switching faster casting with elemental focus gives me aaround 8k dps for each totem 14k with vaal haste aktive. You will melt bosses solo up to tier 14.

I also use a different gem setup who gave me the ability to do tier 15 maps without pandemonius and 6Link.
Codt 10, increase duration max as possibel, immortal call 11 and molten shell 15.
As chest i use belly now 4 Linked increase duration max, rallyng cry, max projektile weakness and vaal haste, you can use double vaal haste for more boss burst.

With this setup i got by far less problems.
"
Okay, i thought, it means after we hit, wouldnt it call "after getting hit" ?
When you Hit, does really mean getting hit, not hit the enemy? Sounds strange to me.

Yep, when hit means upon you getting hit and not the enemy. Similar concept with Cast when (you are taking the damage) damage taken vs Curse on (you area dealing the damage) hit. GGG likes to mess our heads with this haha.

"
Okay i got this, we chill always, as long we deal dmg. So bosses/mobs who are immun to chill/freeze dont take increase dmg from hypothermia, right?

Correct. Hypothermia is built on the notion that the enemies are "already" chilled so it does nothing great on monsters that cannot be chilled.

"
For players who needs more boss dps in acts and maps up to tier 12, use also a 5Linked chest with frostbolt and selfcast it. You will increase dps by a huge amount.
And for bosses switching faster casting with elemental focus gives me aaround 8k dps for each totem 14k with vaal haste aktive. You will melt bosses solo up to tier 14.

I also use a different gem setup who gave me the ability to do tier 15 maps without pandemonius and 6Link.
Codt 10, increase duration max as possibel, immortal call 11 and molten shell 15.
As chest i use belly now 4 Linked increase duration max, rallyng cry, max projektile weakness and vaal haste, you can use double vaal haste for more boss burst.

With this setup i got by far less problems.

This means you have to respec out of Ancestral bond first.

"Curiosity is followed by ambition. Ambition is followed by madness." - The Shaper
Last edited by haxers on Aug 20, 2017, 7:14:51 PM
Hi would someone please be able to look at my build to figure out what I'm doing wrong? Everything is really really hard to kill even T2 maps and my totems just get hit once before even spawning and just die? Thanks in advance :)
"
BudgeAU wrote:
Hi would someone please be able to look at my build to figure out what I'm doing wrong? Everything is really really hard to kill even T2 maps and my totems just get hit once before even spawning and just die? Thanks in advance :)

mm strange im melting in T4 everythink with less points, a little of feedback;

are you resis capped? if not go asap for that, and dont think that staff that you got its worth to run.

To be worth you need atleast a 5L staff with +2 to cold gems and spell damage if not, its best to go for dual wand.

in my case i dont have the crit staff nodes, i have a taryn but i need to get the 6L before i respec my tree and get the staff crit nodes.

why you have 2 points in 12% lightning damage? you are running a cold elemental build, that points are useless.

try to run projectile weakness, its awesome for the build.

and i think you need more life in your gear, your rings dont have life.
"
BudgeAU wrote:

My advice would be get Conviction of Power instead of Divine Guidance. Drop the Lightning Damage and get the second extra power charge. You will then have 5 power charges running most of the time -- a big help on the crit. rating. There seems to be some disagreement about Shamanistic Fury, but it seems like a good boost to me.

Your gem levels seem low? 3, 5, 7, 7, 10, 12 -- would think by the time you were running T2 those would be 15+....
Last edited by Mr_Tact on Aug 20, 2017, 9:34:02 PM
Sorry for being a newbie but why does this build stack critical hit chance when Controlled Destruction Support reduces supported skills to have 100% reduced critical chance?

Also, why is nearby Shamanistic Fury skipped for 30% totem damage?
Last edited by Morvar on Aug 20, 2017, 9:42:18 PM
"
Mr_Tact wrote:

Your gem levels seem low? 3, 5, 7, 7, 10, 12 -- would think by the time you were running T2 those would be 15+....

Thats the right answer ...

lvl 77: frostbolt lvl 12 = 121-211 damage

my char is lvl 73 but has frostbolt lvl 17:

lvl 17 = 440-661 damage.

@BudgeAU: Thats your main problem, it seems you waiting to long until you bought those gems and start leveling while YOU level as well.

@morvar has all been answered the last a few pages ... 100% don' means no crit, it means for example you have overall 120% crit (-100) you have 20% crit BUT you get a huge amount of additional spell damage for it.

Your second question has also be answered, it is not absolutely necessary, as long as you don't reach levels over ~90 you should use those points better otherwards in endgame, for leveling you can use them and respecc later on. I have em active actual.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info