[3.8] LiftingNerdBro's Tri/Quad Frostbolt Totems Hierophant - Strong League Starter!

"
fillesun wrote:
Hi guys!
So this is the first guided build ive ever played, I tryed poe some time ago but quit soon there after.
However Ive come to really enjoy this game and this build!
Ofcourse I got the mtx for frostbolt as soon as I could.
Anyway as I said I really enjoy playing this build, all the way until I come across boss monsters.
I know I don't have bis items, but some bosses on t10 will reg my dps making them unkillable.
Anyway I knew this from the start, it was said in the guide.
But being new to the game I really cant help but to ask; the 2nd page in inventory, is it possible to equip a staff or some daggers or other weapon for all that matter, with a different set of skills, that I could switch to during boss encounters?
I guess in theory it is possible, so I guess I'm really asking if anyone know any legit strong setup for it?

Best regards
Exile

Edit: corrected autocorrect

IMO, when you swap to daggers, you'll lose the crit/multi staff nodes which I don't think the dagger mods can compensate for. I cannot think of any other equip setup can boost your boss dps dramatically when you go the Hierophant path aside from what Lifting suggested on the guide.

For gem setup, you can pop a vaal Lightning trap for shock. Also I'd like to experiment of running a dual curse setup (Orb of Storms + PCoC + CoH + Frostbite + Proj Weakness) or even triple curse (+ Ele Weakness). For this, you will need to free up a slot for Doedre's damning and get Whsipers of Doom on the tree or if RNG Gods bless you, a + 1 curse on ammy. Downside of this is when monsters are hexproof lol.
"Curiosity is followed by ambition. Ambition is followed by madness." - The Shaper
Last edited by haxers on Aug 20, 2017, 4:28:53 AM
guys what is better to use between a 5L Taryn or a 6L +3 gem staff? i mean is there a big DPS boost or should i wait to get a 6l Taryn instead ?wich is priced as cocaine in HCHarb :).
Hi lifting, thank you for the good guide, just wondering what Helmet you are wearing, because you miss out at current gear. thank you
Hey can someone explain me how Hypothermia works at bosses? Does it works?
Or do it just work with The Pandemonius?
How do pandemonius works and interact with hypothermia?

And how much crit do we need around 50% are fine?

Also we if we dont have pandemonius, elemental focus gives us a good boost at boss dps, we wont freeze or chill bosses anyway. Do we with pandemonius?

This item and skill ,let me left confused
Last edited by Orisayten on Aug 20, 2017, 8:53:38 AM
what helmet do you recommend using? i don't see any
PoE noob here. I'm really liking the clearspeed when leveling but on bosses the build is really painfull. It takes forever to down a chapter and optional boss when leveling. Is it really supposed to be this slow?

"
HighBlow wrote:
guys what is better to use between a 5L Taryn or a 6L +3 gem staff? i mean is there a big DPS boost or should i wait to get a 6l Taryn instead ?wich is priced as cocaine in HCHarb :).

You can try simulating it on poeplanner and see which is better but from the looks of it, I think 6L will net you more damage assuming it has good mods.

"
redsun912 wrote:
Hi lifting, thank you for the good guide, just wondering what Helmet you are wearing, because you miss out at current gear. thank you

"
gong318 wrote:
what helmet do you recommend using? i don't see any

You can check out his char profile. I think he used rare helmet for this build.

"
Zengaard wrote:
PoE noob here. I'm really liking the clearspeed when leveling but on bosses the build is really painfull. It takes forever to down a chapter and optional boss when leveling. Is it really supposed to be this slow?

Yep, it really is. The projectiles are meant to cover large areas not a single target. You can pop vaal lightning trap and add additional curses to help you with bosses.
"Curiosity is followed by ambition. Ambition is followed by madness." - The Shaper
Last edited by haxers on Aug 20, 2017, 1:42:10 PM
"
Orisayten wrote:
Hey can someone explain me how Hypothermia works at bosses? Does it works?
Or do it just work with The Pandemonius?
How do pandemonius works and interact with hypothermia?

Also we if we dont have pandemonius, elemental focus gives us a good boost at boss dps, we wont freeze or chill bosses anyway. Do we with pandemonius?

This item and skill ,let me left confused

I'm no expert also here. I'm just basing my answers based on what I infer from wiki. So I'll try to answer this with my understanding.

AFAIK, Hypo works 100% on bosses since its not a curse.
From wiki:
"
Act and map bosses have 60% less Curse Effect.

Hypo does not need Pandemonius to work although Pandemonius aids you to chill enemy when you are hit and not on your hit. Big difference in wording here.
From wiki:
"
Chill Enemy for 1 second when Hit

The real advantages we get from Pandemonius are the +dex, cold damage/pen, and the blind ailment when enemies are chilled. Since Pandemonius is considered "other" source of chill, its ailment/debuff effect will only slow 10% - see below for how Chill works in 3.0.

Chill Mechanics from wiki.
Spoiler
Mechanics

Any hit of cold damage, even non-criticals, has the potential to chill the target. Chill can also be inflicted by chilled ground, which chills enemies standing over them.

When a target is hit with cold damage, it becomes chilled for 2 seconds. The magnitude of the slow is directly proportional to the damage relative to the target's maximum life, equal to 30% slow at 10% of the target's maximum life dealt by Cold damage, scaling down to 0% at no damage. Chill slow is capped at 30%. Increased effect of Chill will decrease the life threshold if it goes over the slow cap. For example, with 100% increased Chill effect, dealing Cold damage equal to 5% of the target's maximum life or more will slow it by 30%.

Furthermore, when a target is frozen, it is also chilled at 30% for the freeze duration plus an additional 300 milliseconds.

Chilled ground has a fixed slowing effect of 10%. Other non-hit sources of Chill, unless otherwise specified in the debuff, will slow by 10%.

The main source of your chill comes from the raw damage output of your frostbolt. Here is how chill works in 3.0.
Spoiler
"

Chill no longer slows enemies by a fixed amount for a variable duration. Now, Chill will slow enemies for a duration of 2 seconds by an amount based on the Cold damage dealt to the enemy.
A purely Cold hit which removes 10% of an enemy's life will slow that enemy by 30% for 2 seconds, scaling linearly down to 0% at no Cold damage dealt.
Increased Effect of Chill and Increased Effect of Shock will increase the amount that each ailment affects whatever they are afflicting, up to their respective caps.
Chilled ground has a fixed slowing effect of 10%.
Other non-hit sources of Chill, unless otherwise specified in the debuff, will slow by 10%.

"

More %crit chance is ideal but at some point crit damage will be better. You need to experiment on this to see when you should put crit damage instead.

"

We can freeze/chill bosses. Pandeomonius only aids on chill when we are hit.
Last edited by haxers on Aug 20, 2017, 2:17:01 PM
Mostly repeating myself here, but I'd really like to get an answer to this...

"
domynik05 wrote:
Im clearing t14 pretty easy right now and the only problem is sadly the boss dps. I also just got a Pandemonius the last thing i

need to get is the 6l Maelstrom which i have only 5l rip.

Okay, I need someone to explain this to me... I have imported domynik05 's build and my build into Path of Building and I see differences I don't understand.

Our trees are essentially the same, he has 4 intelligence nodes and a jewel socket I don't, I have an extra life node, an elemental damage node and an agility node he doesn't have. But he has 38% more critical hit. I was assuming that was all due to his better equipment, but I don't see increased critical on his items or on his jewels. So, what the hell? Where is the difference? What don't I understand?

PoB shows an "Effective Crit Chance" listed on his stats, but not on mine. Also, I see his base crit is 5 + 1.9 to my 5. What is giving that +1.9 to base crit? PoB lists the source as a skill named "Increased Critical Strikes" -- uh, okay... it isn't the gem, tried that. Yes, he has a 6L and hence has the Increased Critical Strikes Support in use. But 38% more crit would have to be 700%+ increased critical on his gear compared to mine and I don't see any.

Either Path of Building is doing something wrong, which I kind of doubt. Or there is something fundamental about getting critical in this build which I am completely overlooking or don't understand. The more I look at this, the more I am mystified.

Great, even worse -- while trying to figure this out, which included swapping in and out some different weapons and different gems, I have somehow managed to boost my crit by about 8%. Despite not knowingly having made any change to my character. WTF?
"
Mr_Tact wrote:
Mostly repeating myself here, but I'd really like to get an answer to this...

"
domynik05 wrote:
Im clearing t14 pretty easy right now and the only problem is sadly the boss dps. I also just got a Pandemonius the last thing i

need to get is the 6l Maelstrom which i have only 5l rip.

Okay, I need someone to explain this to me... I have imported domynik05 's build and my build into Path of Building and I see differences I don't understand.

Our trees are essentially the same, he has 4 intelligence nodes and a jewel socket I don't, I have an extra life node, an elemental damage node and an agility node he doesn't have. But he has 38% more critical hit. I was assuming that was all due to his better equipment, but I don't see increased critical on his items or on his jewels. So, what the hell? Where is the difference? What don't I understand?

PoB shows an "Effective Crit Chance" listed on his stats, but not on mine. Also, I see his base crit is 5 + 1.9 to my 5. What is giving that +1.9 to base crit? PoB lists the source as a skill named "Increased Critical Strikes" -- uh, okay... it isn't the gem, tried that. Yes, he has a 6L and hence has the Increased Critical Strikes Support in use. But 38% more crit would have to be 700%+ increased critical on his gear compared to mine and I don't see any.

Either Path of Building is doing something wrong, which I kind of doubt. Or there is something fundamental about getting critical in this build which I am completely overlooking or don't understand. The more I look at this, the more I am mystified.

Great, even worse -- while trying to figure this out, which included swapping in and out some different weapons and different gems, I have somehow managed to boost my crit by about 8%. Despite not knowingly having made any change to my character. WTF?

I took a look at domynik05 profile and looks like the + 1.9 comes from the inc crit strikes +12% quality.
Last edited by haxers on Aug 20, 2017, 3:34:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info