Mechanical Questions Thread

Hi, I have an elemental conversion question. I'm always fascinated with conversion possibilities.

I start off with a lightning skill. Let's say I take 2 Call of the Brotherhood rings, converting 80% of my lightning to cold damage. Next, I take Avatar of fire and Cold to Fire support to convert 100% of my cold damage to fire damage. Also, avatar of fire should convert half of my remaining lightning damage (10% out of the 20% remaining) to fire damage.

In the end, I should be left with 90% of my prior damage and now all as fire damage correct?

One last question, how will passives affect my damage? Since I have converted to the point of all 3 elements being present, does that mean that all specific element damage passive nodes will affect my original lightning skill?
Last edited by Learis on Aug 12, 2017, 9:28:56 PM
"
Learis wrote:
I start off with a lightning skill. Let's say I take 2 Call of the Brotherhood rings, converting 80% of my lightning to cold damage. Next, I take Avatar of fire and Cold to Fire support to convert 100% of my cold damage to fire damage. Also, avatar of fire should convert half of my remaining lightning damage (10% out of the 20% remaining) to fire damage.

All Conversion from-type-to-xyz occurs at the same time; the game doesn't first convert Lightning to Cold and then takes the remainder to apply Fire Conversion to. Instead, the following happens...

We have the following sources of Conversion:
Skill-based:
50% Cold to Fire
Otherwise:
80% Lightning to Cold
50% Lightning to Fire
50% Cold to Fire

Following the Conversion chain of Physical -> Lightning -> Cold -> Fire -> Chaos, the first relevant step we meet is Lightning to X:
Lightning is being Converted for more than 100% (130% total), which means all non-Skill Conversion is scaled down to fit 100%:
80 / 130 * 100 = 61.5% Lightning to Cold
50 / 130 * 100 = 38.5% Lightning to Fire

Sum damage so far:
61.5% Cold (from Lightning)
38.5% Fire (from Lightning)

Next up is Cold to X: all we have is 100% Cold to Fire, so that's easy.
Sum damage:
61.5% Fire (from Lightning, from Cold)
38.5% Fire (from Lightning)

All Lightning Damage is converted to Fire Damage. No damage is lost.

"
Learis wrote:
One last question, how will passives affect my damage? Since I have converted to the point of all 3 elements being present, does that mean that all specific element damage passive nodes will affect my original lightning skill?

Not entirely. The reason I have kept the Fire Damage separated in the above example is because the game also does this: Increased Cold Damage only applies to the 61.5% of total Damage that was once Cold Damage, it won't apply to the remaining 38.5%.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 12, 2017, 10:00:29 PM
I have a question on the Double Strike Skill. It has no modifiers to increase its attack speed so I assume it does 2 attacks in the time it takes to do one. So, essentially it's like a "100% more attack speed"?

Let's say I attacked on average 2 times per second. I have modifiers bumping up attack speed by 100%. And then I use double strike.

Would this be the math:
attacks per second = 2 * (1 + 100% increased attack speed modifier) * (1 + 100% more attack speed from double strike)
which equals 8 attacks per second.

Or is the double strike attack speed boost only additive with other attack speed modifiers, in which case it would be 6 attacks per second:
attacks per second = 2 * (1 +%100 inc attack speed modifier + 100% inc attack speed boost from double strike)
Does Hierophant's Illuminated Devotion "Skills from your gloves have 40% increased Area of Effect" apply to glove enchantments?
IGN: Sudoku
Hi all,

I've a few questions concerning Ice Shot and/or Deadeye :

1) Chaining and IS

Often I see IS builds with Deadeye, and especially references to the Ricochet ascendancy skill point. The wiki says that Ricochet : "lets chaining skills chain one extra time". Ice Shot doesn't not have the "chaining" gem tag. Is it an inherent characteristic of the AoE ice explosion ? How does it work ?

From my understanding : 1 enemy hit = 1 explosion and the number of explosion is relative to the number of hit enemies by the arrow = piercing.

2) Omen on the winds and powerful precision

If I take the 2 omen on the winds jewel, how does it work with powerful precision ?
a) Piercing has priority on the returning characteristic : to which extend ? Do I have to wait that the arrow pierces all the targets (10 or 5 !) before its return ? Can the projectile never return (very open map with no obstacles) ?
b) Is the "Projectiles Pierce all nearby Targets" characteristic not redundant (useless) with the extra piercing of the omen on the winds jewel ?

3) Is Deadeye worth it with omen on the winds and Ice shot ?

Apart the extra projectile (which I can get with a deadeye/elementalist scion for example), is this ascendancy worth it with an ice shot archer (pure physical to cold conversion (winter spirit)) ? Is the aoe not totally overkill (100% increase with jewels + ascendancy) ?

Ty a lot for your help :D
Have a nice day
The owls are not what they seem.

My suggestions :
1) Repeatable quest for threshold jewels : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1992137
2) Party Self Found leagues : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1964558
Hey, i'd like to ask how powerful precision work? It say's projectile shoudl return to me, But using shrapnel shot i can say that they DO NOT return to me? At least not with a visual aid. I don't see any proj's returning to me, I do see then travel further and furter away and dissapear after hitting a target like all other arrows do. Have i misunderstood something or is it broken ?

In short words. Bow skills like Shrapnel shot used with Powerful precision do not return.
Last edited by KingCanario on Aug 14, 2017, 5:21:13 AM
"
Learis wrote:
I have a question on the Double Strike Skill. It has no modifiers to increase its attack speed so I assume it does 2 attacks in the time it takes to do one. So, essentially it's like a "100% more attack speed"?

Double Strike just deals two Hits over the span of one Attack. With 2 Attacks per second, Double Strike deals 4 Hits per second, 3 -> 6, etc. It's kinda sorta like 100% More Attack Speed.

"
N1ohöggr wrote:
Often I see IS builds with Deadeye, and especially references to the Ricochet ascendancy skill point. The wiki says that Ricochet : "lets chaining skills chain one extra time". Ice Shot doesn't not have the "chaining" gem tag. Is it an inherent characteristic of the AoE ice explosion ? How does it work ?

The wiki's description is inaccurate; any Projectile can Chain, Ricochet will make the Ice Shot arrow chain once. Do note: a Projectile can only Chain if it does not Pierce or Fork on that Hit.

"
N1ohöggr wrote:
If I take the 2 omen on the winds jewel, how does it work with powerful precision ?
a) Piercing has priority on the returning characteristic : to which extend ? Do I have to wait that the arrow pierces all the targets (10 or 5 !) before its return ? Can the projectile never return (very open map with no obstacles) ?
b) Is the "Projectiles Pierce all nearby Targets" characteristic not redundant (useless) with the extra piercing of the omen on the winds jewel ?

A. Return is the last in the series of on-Hit Projectile effects. A Projectile will only Return if it does not Pierce, Fork or Chain. As such, with two Omen on the Winds and Powerful Precision, Ice Shot needs to Pierce ten enemies outside PPrecision's range and then hit another enemy before it can Return - this will not happen.
B. It should take priority over the Omen Jewel pierces, thus allowing for even more Pierces (not that you'd ever need it, 10 Pierces is a ton).

Whether Deadeye is worth it or not is not really for this thread :)
(and I just don't like "is it worth it" questions personally, sorry :P )

"
KingCanario wrote:
Hey, i'd like to ask how powerful precision work? It say's projectile shoudl return to me, But using shrapnel shot i can say that they DO NOT return to me? At least not with a visual aid. I don't see any proj's returning to me, I do see then travel further and furter away and dissapear after hitting a target like all other arrows do. Have i misunderstood something or is it broken ?

A Projectile can only Return if it does not Pierce, Fork or Chain: Shrapnel Shot always Pierces on Hit, and as such can never Return.
The Marooned Mariner quest.

Hello, i have completed this quest but it did'nt register under my challenges tab. Is there any way to fix it?

http://imgur.com/a/W2OR5

http://imgur.com/a/WXJtp
Last edited by Puuma29 on Aug 14, 2017, 6:15:11 PM
Hi,

I´m looking for a weapon upgrade for my Gladiator and found this:

It says "Attacks with this weapon deal double damage to chilled enemies".

Does that mean with the new ailment mechanics that this is basically a 252-332 damage (per hit) weapon after the first hit, even against bosses? Or are there any strings attached that I should look out for?
Sorry for reposting my question, but I never got an answer and it's been so long (3 months) that I'm not sure if it got missed or if there's just a long list of backlogged answers since you guys have been so busy.

Does Thousand Teeth Temu have a hidden cooldown for damage reflecting? I'm trying to use it with Necro Aegis and Bone Offering and it seems to proc very rarely.
Last edited by MarsPhoenix on Aug 14, 2017, 12:51:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info