[2.6] Milky's Righteous Fire Totems [cheap, SC/HC, Shaper, UberAtziri]

Hi Milky,

First I would like to say that reading this helped solidify my decision to go with a RF chieftan to start HC Perandus. I am still alive and kicking ~L91 now. You can view my character 'FFalkie".

Here are some observations and small improvements on your version of RF totems. Most of these are from an end-game solo mapping perspective as I didn't level as RF until Act 4 merciless.

1) I know at some point you were considering orb of storms + curse on hit over blasphemy. After testing, I find blasphemy + 3 curses much more reliable and faster due to not having to stop to cast orb. I do use orb + curse on hit for blood magic maps.

2) I know at some point you were debating elemental equilibrium (EE) vs. elemental overload. I use both. I find that these are only necessary for blue packs, high hp rares, and bosses. I use vaal lightning trap for the shock and EE trigger and i use standard lightning trap + chain if I decide to do a curse immune map. I find that elemental overload uptime is pretty high even with a unsupported orb of storms plus an "on-hit" gloves enchant plus random crits from leap slam.

3) I find that leap slam + faster attacks + fortify is a must. The mana cost is low and the build naturally ends up with high base mana (92-96% reserved, leaving 40-60 mana), so natural mana regen is able to sustain extended leap slam movement. For this same reason, I consider Brightbeak a better end-game weapon than Doryani's Catalyst unless you are doing Atziri runs or something. The faster movement provided provides way higher clear speed than the 100% inc. damage from Doryani's. Normal packs die instantly without Doryani's, rares and blues die instantly if you have overload up or use a vaal lightning trap to shock and trigger EE.

4) Using the new unique Heretic's Veil saves 3 points from the passive tree (the mana reservation nodes) when using blasphemy; this is very valuable in HC as at end-game this represents another jewel socket. I find the damage from Doedre's helm to be not noticeable in solo maps. I used a rare helm even before getting a Heretic's Veil because I valued life and resists over damage in HC.

5) This build is actually really flexible when mapping even though it is a "tri-curse build". Blood magic stops blasphemy but you can switch to curse on hit + orb + 1 manual cast curse. No regen would normally stop you from using your mana skills, which would usually be leap slam, orb, enduring cry. Leap slam and enduring cry are very important in HC. What i do if i really want to run a no-regen map is to turn off 1 damage curse from blasphemy, so I have ~40% unreserved mana which ends up being ~375 mana. Then I would switch out my quicksilver flask with a mana flask. Curse immune maps are doable because you can switch mana reservation to auras (combination of determination, haste, purity, arctic armour, grace), and switch out curse items (helm, +1 curse item). You can then use lightning trap + chain (or ice trap + aoe) to trigger EE on mobs and use orb to keep overload up. The playstyle changes a bit because you have to stop and cast a lot more. Also I once when from having permanent temp chains to a map with the haste mod and curse immune and it seemed like the game was playing on 4x speed. Every other mod is normally doable anyway.

6) I already had a 6L rare with good stats but I decided to pay a net of 9 exalts on PHC just to get the 20% radius (which translates to 2.8 units for RF) from a 6L carcass jack. This purchases was very worth it even though it may not seem like it on paper. I applied the same concept to the Scion AOE nodes + intuitive leap because you end up spending a net of 4 passive points and losing a jewel socket (lose totem life, life, damage) for a little regen and 10% AOE, or 2.5% AOE per point. This feels like it's worth it for now. I did not get the 5% aoe in the fire nodes because that translates to approximately 11% inc. damage + 1% AOE per passive point which seemed too low to me. I also always get the witch flask effect nodes if I am already in that area of the passive tree.

7) The most annoying thing about this build in maps is that there are always straggler mobs that end up outside of the RF radius. Using searing totem helps in some case, but some mobs move in weird ways and run outside of burn. I almost never full clear a map and usually end up with 10-15 mobs remaining when solo even though every pack on the map has been found. It would be cool if someone came up with a creative way to deal with loose mobs when solo. Having just 1 other person in the group deals with this issue.

8) Vulnerability is better than a 2nd -resist curse if mobs have low resist or if EE is active on a mob. However, i almost never run 2 damage curses anyway.

9) Having an unset ring is very useful because this build is socket-starved but not hotkey starved.

10) Having arctic breath as the 4th link on cast-when-damage-taken is very good when chill is combined with a boosted temp chains.

11) This build can run labs very fast with leap slam movement + fast Izaro kill. It's worth it to run labs to hit a helm enchant that is either curse (any that you use) effect bonus or RF radius (I would roll over RF damage as it is negligible). Make sure you get a good on-hit glove enchant that can trigger elemental overload (I currently use one that fires EK projectiles and has a 7% base crit chance). Good boots enchants include the movement speed ones or the spell dodge.

12) You can cheat a lot on resists with the weapon slow. Brightbeak has up to 30% fire and lightning resist. You can also use Aurumvorax for 60% all resist (you can whirling blades with this, but it's slower than brightbeak leap slam and doesnt get over some terrain)! This would create a lot of flexibility in other gear either for MF, or for up to 5 curses. I found that if I'm ever in a large group, RF really sucks due to the cast time on totems and I would rather just become a support class (can run 5 curses and 1-3 auras depending on gear).

Hopefully some of these tips can be incorporated into the guide for those playing HC.

Cheers!
Last edited by Falkie on Mar 14, 2016, 11:52:50 AM
you need damage to run curse immune maps.

dunno why you think stuff like double palace or shrine dont require minmaxed damage, and atziri does. in most cases you do any t11+ map you vaal, and there is no choice actually. yesterday i got village ruin 40 hp global and hp boss. was killing that stuff for like 10 min
No rest for the wicked
Last edited by mezmery on Mar 14, 2016, 12:31:04 PM
"
XxBartucxX wrote:
Would it be advisable to take out the less duration gem and put in an empower? I saw the health of the totem and with a level 3 empower it would give the totem about 1.1k hp which is about 550 extra base damage for RF. Not to mention that all the other gems will go up a couple levels as well. If I can get my hands on a corrupted level 4 empower.. that would boost the damage even more. Or am I completely screwed on my numbers?

Empower only buffs active gems, spelltotem is a supporgem. It would do nothing.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
"
Falkie wrote:
Spoiler
Hi Milky,

1) I know at some point you were considering orb of storms + curse on hit over blasphemy. After testing, I find blasphemy + 3 curses much more reliable and faster due to not having to stop to cast orb. I do use orb + curse on hit for blood magic maps.

2) I know at some point you were debating elemental equilibrium (EE) vs. elemental overload. I use both. I find that these are only necessary for blue packs, high hp rares, and bosses. I use vaal lightning trap for the shock and EE trigger and i use standard lightning trap + chain if I decide to do a curse immune map. I find that elemental overload uptime is pretty high even with a unsupported orb of storms plus an "on-hit" gloves enchant plus random crits from leap slam.

3) I find that leap slam + faster attacks + fortify is a must. The mana cost is low and the build naturally ends up with high base mana (92-96% reserved, leaving 40-60 mana), so natural mana regen is able to sustain extended leap slam movement. For this same reason, I consider Brightbeak a better end-game weapon than Doryani's Catalyst unless you are doing Atziri runs or something. The faster movement provided provides way higher clear speed than the 100% inc. damage from Doryani's. Normal packs die instantly without Doryani's, rares and blues die instantly if you have overload up or use a vaal lightning trap to shock and trigger EE.

4) Using the new unique Heretic's Veil saves 3 points from the passive tree (the mana reservation nodes) when using blasphemy; this is very valuable in HC as at end-game this represents another jewel socket. I find the damage from Doedre's helm to be not noticeable in solo maps. I used a rare helm even before getting a Heretic's Veil because I valued life and resists over damage in HC.

5) This build is actually really flexible when mapping even though it is a "tri-curse build". Blood magic stops blasphemy but you can switch to curse on hit + orb + 1 manual cast curse. No regen would normally stop you from using your mana skills, which would usually be leap slam, orb, enduring cry. Leap slam and enduring cry are very important in HC. What i do if i really want to run a no-regen map is to turn off 1 damage curse from blasphemy, so I have ~40% unreserved mana which ends up being ~375 mana. Then I would switch out my quicksilver flask with a mana flask. Curse immune maps are doable because you can switch mana reservation to auras (combination of determination, haste, purity, arctic armour, grace), and switch out curse items (helm, +1 curse item). You can then use lightning trap + chain (or ice trap + aoe) to trigger EE on mobs and use orb to keep overload up. The playstyle changes a bit because you have to stop and cast a lot more. Also I once when from having permanent temp chains to a map with the haste mod and curse immune and it seemed like the game was playing on 4x speed. Every other mod is normally doable anyway.

6) I already had a 6L rare with good stats but I decided to pay a net of 9 exalts on PHC just to get the 20% radius (which translates to 2.8 units for RF) from a 6L carcass jack. This purchases was very worth it even though it may not seem like it on paper. I applied the same concept to the Scion AOE nodes + intuitive leap because you end up spending a net of 4 passive points and losing a jewel socket (lose totem life, life, damage) for a little regen and 10% AOE, or 2.5% AOE per point. This feels like it's worth it for now. I did not get the 5% aoe in the fire nodes because that translates to approximately 11% inc. damage + 1% AOE per passive point which seemed too low to me. I also always get the witch flask effect nodes if I am already in that area of the passive tree.

7) The most annoying thing about this build in maps is that there are always straggler mobs that end up outside of the RF radius. Using searing totem helps in some case, but some mobs move in weird ways and run outside of burn. I almost never full clear a map and usually end up with 10-15 mobs remaining when solo even though every pack on the map has been found. It would be cool if someone came up with a creative way to deal with loose mobs when solo. Having just 1 other person in the group deals with this issue.

8) Vulnerability is better than a 2nd -resist curse if mobs have low resist or if EE is active on a mob. However, i almost never run 2 damage curses anyway.

9) Having an unset ring is very useful because this build is socket-starved but not hotkey starved.

10) Having arctic breath as the 4th link on cast-when-damage-taken is very good when chill is combined with a boosted temp chains.

11) This build can run labs very fast with leap slam movement + fast Izaro kill. It's worth it to run labs to hit a helm enchant that is either curse (any that you use) effect bonus or RF radius (I would roll over RF damage as it is negligible). Make sure you get a good on-hit glove enchant that can trigger elemental overload (I currently use one that fires EK projectiles and has a 7% base crit chance). Good boots enchants include the movement speed ones or the spell dodge.

12) You can cheat a lot on resists with the weapon slow. Brightbeak has up to 30% fire and lightning resist. You can also use Aurumvorax for 60% all resist (you can whirling blades with this, but it's slower than brightbeak leap slam and doesnt get over some terrain)! This would create a lot of flexibility in other gear either for MF, or for up to 5 curses. I found that if I'm ever in a large group, RF really sucks due to the cast time on totems and I would rather just become a support class (can run 5 curses and 1-3 auras depending on gear).

Hopefully some of these tips can be incorporated into the guide for those playing HC.

Cheers!

1. Yes its an option, i use triblasphemy too, its just better. But if someone wants to run determination and/or AA why not.

2. Yes i was debating, but that was when the Chieftain Tukohama node was a firehit instead of firereflect and EE was not possible with this node. After the change i edited everything ;)

3. Daressos Passion might be something for you with whirling blades. up to 80% dmg + movement skill.
Got an aurum while leveling too, its great.

4. I find it noticeable on bosses, on trash not yes. I consider 80% eledmg stronger than 3 skillpoints, there is not a single spot in the tree where we can get that much inc. dmg.
If it works for you, use it :)

5. Yes everything is doable except chain on certain maps/bosses.

6. I use a carcass too, just feels a little wasted with the armour on the tree/class. Will switch to an armour chest because i wont chainrun maps with this char anymore, only the stuff other chars cant so

7. yep, just more aoe works :P

8. I dont think so, resists below 0% are 1% more dmg per point, over 0 resists even more. The resistcurses have better scalong with curse effectiveness too. Thats what i know about it.

9. yes if you find a good one/get a good drop on poe.trade

10. yes AB is always great

11. sure, everyone can be fast with brightbeak + prismatic eclipse on a weapon swap ;) The best thing is the regen which helps a lot. But i cant say more because i dont run Labs (no trade, no currency, no fun for me)

12. yes thats right, the weaponslot can help with resists.

I actually carried most zana rotations, which is ofc not compareable with high tier mapping groups. In that case the support role is great if the damage of the group is already extremely good.

Last edited by Milkyslice on Mar 14, 2016, 1:44:43 PM
"
Falkie wrote:
Hi Milky,

First I would like to say that reading this helped solidify my decision to go with a RF chieftan to start HC Perandus. I am still alive and kicking ~L91 now. You can view my character 'FFalkie".

Here are some observations and small improvements on your version of RF totems. Most of these are from an end-game solo mapping perspective as I didn't level as RF until Act 4 merciless.

Cheers!

Some good insights. I'd agree that the COH setup is a bit clunky. I tried some other spells (firestorm, ball lightning, etc.) and nothing was super efficient. Having tri-curses on by default is a much better option - enfeeble, temp chains, flam. The new helm is a great option (I didn't even know it existed), although it's a bit pricey i think still for most. I def will try to pick one up tonight. This actually gave me an even better idea. If you did the helm + sovereignty nodes, this allows for AA + 3 curses. So with a chaos golem, you'd innately have 18% mitigation, plus a super buffed enfeeble and temp chains. Seems like it could be a pretty sweet deal.

I don't agree with the brightbeak choice, i think you cripple a lot of potential DPS. Maybe leap and fortify is faster in some instances, but a good "faster recharge" quicksilver + flame dash/faster cast is just fine. I get your logic of "fortify" but honestly, this is a totem build, you shouldn't be leap slamming in to mobs anyway.

I think i might try the arctic breath choice on the CWDT setup - right now i run IC + INC Dur + MS for some extra armor. Are you GMPing it at all?

I too run both EE and EO. In short it's just good for bosses. I wish there was a more reliant setup for Orb of storms; great crits in a pack, but solo on bosses it's less to be desired.

I also went for belly over carcus. While i like carcus, it has no armor, which concerned me slightly since the build gets a lot of +armor nodes innately (esp ascendancy tree). End game this is going give me roughly 7k life.

Another suggestion for you is to have rallying cry for the damage boost (can have both up if you time it right), and to run a golem. For 1-2 slots i really think the life regen / flat phys reduction / flat damage is really worthwhile.
Last edited by kallell on Mar 14, 2016, 1:58:48 PM
Hey, Milky

Just passing by to thank you for this awesome build and for all the forum support you've being doing.

Guide is very well organized, with videos and gameplay mechanics explained. And, as far as I've seen, you've replied a lot of players with doubts. Very good feedback, imo.

Keep the good work!
hi

i am following this build in the perandus league.

i am level 50 currently and have a few questions.

1. how do you manage to get enough mana pool to be running with flammability+blasphemy (35% or something), purity of fire (55% or something), and determination ? (and maybe a few others).
current, i can only use flammability/blasphemy + purity of fire, and my remaining mana is very slow (only sufficient to place a searing bond, but not enough to run any other aura, such as determination or other).

2. what do you recommend for gems for a 4L setup and a 5L ? (which order)

3. i don't really get how elemental overload works ? (i didn't take it yet). is it working with the totems ? or do you "need" a skill to "start it" ?

thanks !
regards;
Last edited by frenchlion on Mar 14, 2016, 5:40:02 PM
"
frenchlion wrote:
hi

1. how do you manage to get enough mana pool to be running with flammability+blasphemy (35% or something), purity of fire (55% or something), and determination ? (and maybe a few others).
current, i can only use flammability/blasphemy + purity of fire, and my remaining mana is very slow (only sufficient to place a searing bond, but not enough to run any other aura, such as determination or other).

3. i don't really get how elemental overload works ? (i didn't take it yet). is it working with the totems ? or do you "need" a skill to "start it" ?

thanks !
regards;

1) In top left of the tree there are some reduced mana nodes, you need two of them to run triple curses. Once you do cruel labyrinth you definitely don't need purity of fire at all since your totems become fire immune. I like tri-curse the best.

2) spell totem, righteous fire, increased area of effect, then either rapid decay or elemental focus (dunno which is more damage sorry)

3) Yo use Orb of Storms which sits there and does no damage but can still crit to proc Elemental overload. Ice traps or vaal lightning traps proc Elemental equilibrium
"
Protatoe69 wrote:
"
frenchlion wrote:
hi

thanks !
regards;

1) In top left of the tree there are some reduced mana nodes, you need two of them to run triple curses. Once you do cruel labyrinth you definitely don't need purity of fire at all since your totems become fire immune. I like tri-curse the best.

2) spell totem, righteous fire, increased area of effect, then either rapid decay or elemental focus (dunno which is more damage sorry)

3) Yo use Orb of Storms which sits there and does no damage but can still crit to proc Elemental overload. Ice traps or vaal lightning traps proc Elemental equilibrium

thank you very much for your answer mate, just a few additional things

1) i can't see them in the tree proposed by the author of this thread, am i blind ? or are you talking about other nodes ? (i can see some, but not in the author's tree)

2) thanks, i am actually using spell totem, righteous fire, increased burning damage and elemental focus. should i switch my increased burning damage with rapid decay ? (the area of effect is pretty good already, IMHO i can wait the 5L for it)

3) i get it, thanks :)

regards
Last edited by frenchlion on Mar 14, 2016, 7:25:31 PM
Edited skilltrees regarding mana reservation.

People weren´t reading the big, underlined

Important: I havent skilled Sovereignty in the following tree. Skill it if you need it for tripe blasphemy curse or other Sheningans.
It is not required for Dualblasphemy Curse, if you use a Curse on Hit setup and reserve as much mana that you still can use all your skills

Now every skilltree after 80 points should have it skilled

To the Rarity gem issue, just tested it, it definetly works, 10000000%.

http://i.imgur.com/xrD6Cu6.png

Picture for rarity

Last edited by Milkyslice on Mar 14, 2016, 10:27:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info