Viper Strike

does life steal support gem apply to the chaos dmg on viper strike?
Leech triggers on Hits. Damage over Time does not Hit. :)
as much it hurts me to say this... i think this skill needs nervs or mechanical changes

so yesterday i was playing my only e-knives shadow solo and i tried to kill gravicius. Basically: i couldnt lay a scratch on him with the knives. They did not enough single target damage by kiting and evading and i couldnt pin him down since he would simply overpower me.

So i used viper strike without having put any points into melee damage and after short time he was dead. which is kind of surprising since you wouldnt expect it to work this good...

basically this would have to be nerved in a way it doesnt get nerved for melee.
Maybe base the chaos damage around weapon a bit or make it based on int and dex
"
M3phisto wrote:
as much it hurts me to say this... i think this skill needs nervs or mechanical changes

so yesterday i was playing my only e-knives shadow solo and i tried to kill gravicius. Basically: i couldnt lay a scratch on him with the knives. They did not enough single target damage by kiting and evading and i couldnt pin him down since he would simply overpower me.

So i used viper strike without having put any points into melee damage and after short time he was dead. which is kind of surprising since you wouldnt expect it to work this good...

Yes let's nerf melee even more than it is now. NO, tnx
"
NagiSoi wrote:
"
M3phisto wrote:

Yes let's nerf melee even more than it is now. NO, tnx

pls read before raging around blindly next time. i am also of the opinion that melee in general, especially assasin type shadows need a buff

i was talking about the fact that viper strike doesnt require a melee build to work itself
Lvl 28 assassin. Dual wield, claw and knife. Took all the early single and dual wield damage /speed passives.
I use this quite a bit. I also used it's big brother, Poison Arrow.
Poison arrow Gives added Chaos damage to the physical of the arrow, PLUS an AOE damage that is just unreal.

Venom Strike Level 8 from Wiki:
8 28 67 9 5.4s 29.2 604,431

My displayed DPS is 93.3

Poison Arrow Level 8 From Wiki:
8 26 62 18 37% 3.2s 33.0 581,328

At first, it seems that Venom Strike is the WAY TO GO. 29.2*4 + 116.8 DPS on a single target. Not really. First, you never really have 4 doing all that damage all tat time, due to attack rate. You might be able to get 2 per second, but not 4. So It scales down a little. Mana consumption is an issue as well. What is the return on investment?

Second, it's a single target, where PA is hitting the whole mod.

Third, lets not forget a 37% boost at level 8 to overall ranged attack.

As a melee guy first and foremost, this should be one of the gems we use by default. I get far more dps out of my dual strike (219 @ lvl 8), for far less mana. I'm seeing almost TRIPLE the DPS from dual strike versus venom strike, for the same amount of mana.

"
Baldie wrote:
First, you never really have 4 doing all that damage all tat time, due to attack rate. You might be able to get 2 per second, but not 4.

Viper Strike Charges work like any other type of Charge. When re-applied, the entire stack's duration is refreshed. You can keep four Charges going all day as long as you hit once every five seconds.

Viper Strike deals a crapload more damage per second than Poison Arrow ever will.

"
Baldie wrote:
Mana consumption is an issue as well.

...Viper Strike is an extremely cheap attack. The Mana cost on Poison Arrow scales pretty harshly for an Attack, draining over 30 Mana a pop eventually, while Viper Strike never even reaches 12.

"
Baldie wrote:
Third, lets not forget a 37% boost at level 8 to overall ranged attack.

(emphasis mine) That's not entirely accurate.
Poison Arrow adds Chaos damage based on your Base Physical damage, and then adds a couple of multipliers as per usual. Most bow users will be running around with far more Elemental Damage than Physical, so the damage bonus really isn't that impressive; bows have pretty poor Physical damage.
Viper strike is nice but it certainly doesnt need a nerf. I use it at 68 and its nice, but no way the damage is too much at those levels.

I dont have much physical dmg I just use a really fast weapon and use it for the chaos dmg.
Last edited by PhreEkGarden on Mar 13, 2013, 5:56:49 AM
are the values from this page http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Viper_Strike accurate ??

I mean, it is really weird :

o lvl 15 -> 16 : increase of 28.2
o lvl 16 -> 17 : increase of 88.6
o lvl 17 -> 18 : increase of 68.4
o lvl 18 -> 19 : increase of 53.4

This makes NO sense whatsoever
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
edit: nvm i didn't understand question. either way, check history for valid recent actions, if nothing recent then wiki may or may not be correct, which it sometimes isn't.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Mar 15, 2013, 3:06:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info