Wild Strike

well.. i know that WS is bad etc but it is the only skill i do not understand fully so here are my questions

1) i have an Oro's build. lets ignore all other stats and assume i have a 500-500 weapon dealing fire damage. lets ignore all scaling, mods etc. naked char with one weapon.

question: how much and of WHAT TYPE will the 'lightning' part damage be? 500 lightning? or 500 fire? and WHY?

1a) same but a naked char with 500-500 weapon and 100% fire from the tree.

2) i have an ele weapon dealing 100 each fire/cold/lightning

question: just like above: how much and of WHAT TYPE will the 'lightning' part damage be?

3) i have a hybrid ele weapon dealing 100 phys and 100 each fire/cold/lightning

question: just like above

it just feels weird that my Oro's dude is dealing lightning damage (of unknown value and scaling) with 100% fire weapon

and if it is all understood.. lets add Avatar of Fire into the mix

Last edited by sidtherat on Nov 15, 2015, 7:54:29 AM
fun observation

Oro's build with no non-fire damage whatsoever (but NOT AoF!) but with 10% chance to freeze and shock

ive NEVER seen a shattered/shocked corpse despite few dried lake clears

so it seems that for Oro's the damage for 'icy wave' and 'lightning' is FIRE despite it looking like cold/lightning respectively

this is really Wild or rather weird
Last edited by sidtherat on Nov 15, 2015, 11:35:49 AM
It deals Weapon Damage with 60% Phys to Element conversion, so of course it just deals Fire Damage. It's an Attack like any other, it works the same as any other attack. This has been covered in this thread at least six times...
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 15, 2015, 6:59:28 PM
I love this skill. It's so good!

On February 25th 2015 I asked for this skill to be made here.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/13702/page/33

On July 10th 2015 Wild Strike was added to the core game. It was better and more powerful than I could have ever hoped for. I used it a bit on its release but I have a long que of builds to play and I never evened up playing any of my builds with it.

That changed on the release of 2.1. The worlds most experienced user of Elemental Hit put his best Wild Strike build into action. It worked better than I could ever have expected. I was gunning for an "average" build but if I continue into high level maps with the success I am having now I would view this gem as "strong".

I will go into detail why this skill is good later. Right now I am having too much fun playing it right now to stop for long periods of time.
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ
this skill. is off. the fucking. hook.

The last buff made it EENSANE?!?!
Okay, After a lot of playing I feel like I can give good feedback. This is mostly for people who want to learn how to play the viable Elemental Hit but it is also feedback to the devs about how I think the skill should be played.

For any people wondering how to try to replicate my results here is my tree. I lost a lot of surviablity in 2.1 wit the nerfs to scion and shadow. If you can find a way to squish some more defensive mechanics into this build I would love to hear them and many hour of working on this tree twice is enough for me.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAOyi-vAOWguRuPZARYEO-gIqve8ODCUrIb55uqspKtfJfsG20cmw1kpu1qAdsRv6P2L3DOoTFZ4AyCU3j_gokiyLqplfyRQ-rapXo1jrhMZ4Wv21smhebJv-TJpU2PbVIkoAyAQX5sJJh4p2qVYWyGRXwUdlVS2yMpcvPevljotlirGHrVP6jirDYtMV6U73mI_axsxX9TZKNfQxzG62NgYo4lWYEsUscZK8Dh3sUj8FF9NN-1gdvV-96fXXnCv66Cpt46_zFtxcNjVz5h3ZkWuOfOJZKffGzS1fA4w==

I do hope this skill does not get nerfed after this, but I expect it won't due to GGG usaly only making changes in response to large amount of large amountspeople doing something something or gudhha, not me playing my sandbox game. Mark my worlds, all those streamers who convinsed the masses that this skill was bad did not realize you have to play it exactly the same way you play Elemental Hit, something I have a fair amount of experience and fun doing.

Also, as apealing as it is to fill an entire page with this post I am going to hide it so you don't have to navigate a wall of text.

Bad AoE. Can't clear a pack with the random attack types, can't increase AoE clear with support gems or passive investment.

Spoiler
Attack Speed. The key is to attack as fast as possible. Like, 10-15 times a second depending on gear. Once you reach those levels of attack speed the three AoE affects start to blend together and cover the entire screen. This means when you get attack speed it double and gives both AoE and Damage, think about it, what other Skill gains AoE with damage?

Bad Damage. Can't give it damage increasing gems other than crit.

Spoiler
Attack Speed. The key is to attack as fast as possible. Like, 10-15 times a second depending on gear. Don't get crit with this skill. Crit is very bad. You goal is to kill all the mobs at once, this needs constant controlled damage. If you roll a crit and the crit his only a few of the mobs around you you will kill the mob you are name locking leaving some of the other mobs alive forcing you to walk around and kill the rest individually. Attack speed scales the damage very effectively and make 6-10 physical damage on gear give thousands of dps. Also note that everything damages the same, if you are standing, attacking two rares they take the same damage not counting the arc bouncing back. Then once you are down looking that that look at the base damage for a skill with full screen AoE with only the investment of attack speed. 146 base damage. Now lets look at some other AoE skills. Ground slam: 104 base damage with half the range. Ice Crash: 184 base damage with a 25% less dps mod and lack of multi strike along with another half damage outside of melee range. Cleave: 134 base damage with one third of the range. Static Strike: 136 Base damage tha goes up to 217 for single target and down to 81 base damage for the Aoe, that is pitiful. Also you are dual wielding with wild strike and Dual Strike does more single target than Static Strike. Cyclone: I have no idea, I think Cyclone is the best melee skill in the game but it functions so differently than all the others I feel challenged to compare them. Lastly the king, Reave: 124 base damage with full screen Aoe with Vaal Reave. You trade 22 base damage for the ability to not have to name lock. Or in other words, a fee 20% more multiplier (more more as in the technically term, but literally 20% more) at the exchange for having to go into melee range. Or as a Die hard Elemental Hit user would see it, a better version of Reave.

Bad Play style. Name locking is stupid.
Spoiler

Attack Speed. The key is to attack as fast as possible. Like, 10-15 times a second depending on gear. You see, you only need to name lock once. After you do the fist name lock and are using Multi Strike it will take over and do all the locking for you. I you really can't stand Name locking and will unistale be doing it ever once and a wile you can wiff the first attack and after that Multi Strike will take over and land the rest. Your not losing a third of your dps, 33%, you lose one attack out of 15 or 6.6%. For the fist second, after that you have normal dps. If you can't handle adjusting your play style to save 6.6% of your damage for the first second of attacking go back to Vaal Spark.

Bad Surviablity. Can't leach off this skill.

Spoiler
Attack Speed. The key is to attack as fast as possible. Like, 10-15 times a second depending on gear. You can actually get the best form of regaining life in the game. Something that can not be taken away from maps like cannot leach or can not regen. Something that gives instantaneous life with no cap or draw back other than you have to be attacking. Life Gain on Hit. With quality gem, Blasphemy Poachers Mark, Claw implicit, general gear and jewels that see this as a rip mod, You can get about 100 life on hit. You attack 15 times per second. That's 1500 life per second per mob with no cap. Attacking three mobs gives you as much regen per second as the Dy'ness tank. Now imagine attacking a pack of mobs. The only thing that can kill you is one shot, stun and desyn. You can deal with desync by going to the cornor your your monitor and clicking "Predictive mode". Stun can be solved with a high life pool along with 28% to avoid stuns and 30% to avoid stuns from Leo. Alternatively you could get some stun recovery on your gear and have permanent upkeep of a Quicksiver flask with increased duration and 60% increased stun recovery, with your attack speed you will never notice your animation stopping. One shot is hard, on one hand your manual dodge is amazing, on the other hand with the nerf to scion and shadow life, by build dropped from over 200% increased life to about 170%.

PS: Your damage is split 70-30 (hatred) with elemental and physical so reflect is a joke. Split damage combined with previously mention regen makes it so you don't even notice reflect maps. AND EE has little impact for your dps.

Bad Attack speed. I don't like Wild Strike with Multistrike.

Spoiler
You know that 10-15 attacks bit I am posting in every section? Guess what Multi Strike does? 100% more attack speed. AKA double attack speed. Once you have: "Attack Speed. The key is to attack as fast as possible. Like 10-15 times a second depending on gear" your Multi Strike will be pretty unnoticeable.

Bad Unique support. Can't find any orange name tags to supplement this skill with.

Spoiler
Attack Speed. The key is to attack as fast as, jk not relevant here. Rares are better than unquies bar chest stuff like lightning coil. You want all rare gear, over 100 life on each of them, bar the jewelry who can be lower and the belt that should have around 140. I did about that on top of getting flat physical on all gear and getting 160 int for leveling gems on top of getting my resists to 169, 169, 229, so I can run lighting coil in eli weakness maps. If you drop the int rolls and over cap you easily max chaos resit too or get more life.

Also the added Izzaro's claw. Everyone looked at that and said it was bad based on the frozen effect. We don't care about that. We care about the 220 dsp, huge accuracy, 28 life per target hit and that sweet sweet 1.8 attack speed. You know what? I lied, that claw attack speed is going to prompt this anyway.

Attack Speed. The key is to attack as fast as possible. Like, 10-15 times a second depending on gear.

Bad Visuals. The colorful flashing lights will give me a seizure.

Spoiler
Attack Speed. The key is to attack as fast as possible. Like, 10-15 times a second depending on gear. Seizeres are not the problem, at least not for me. The bigger problem is if I get two or more tipple frost waves at once the game can lag. OMG ACTUAL FEED BACK?!? Please reduce the partical effect on the frost wave. It fades so fast the only time I can actual see it is when it causes a lack spike and the game freezes, I don't think that was intentional. I got to say though, landing multiple fire blasts in a row is incredibly rewarding to listen to. WAP WAP WAP WAP WAP WAP....

Insert Mr. Tiger Goes Wild Gif that I am to lazy to make to entertain the three other people that visit this site and work in lower education.
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ
"

Insert Mr. Tiger Goes Wild Gif that I am to lazy to make to entertain the three other people that visit this site and work in lower education.

Looking for this one?

Light as a neutral force.

The new flesh emerges.
Is it just me or is wild strike just simply needs more work on?
Seemingly popular melee builds these days are just reave,cyclone, etc.
And out of 20 hours of rushing, i never seen anyone playing wild strike.
The thing is i can get the exact same amount of damage with dual strike in town comparing to a charged up wild strike.
I think its a good concept, so buff maybe?
The posters mentioning Oro's...
You guys seem to be oblivious to the fact that Wild Strike converts only Physical to Elemental
Go ahead and count the Physical damage on Oro's

You can't convert any of nothing. You will only deal Fire if you have no other damage source.
You just might sometimes get double digit damage as Cold or Lightning if you have non-weapon equipment that adds physical damage.

I know the Ice and Lightning look like Ice and Lightning, but its all Fire here.
"If they actually showed gameplay with it zoomed out and then zoomed it in for the real one I think there would be actual riots in the street. I think that people would burn the building down."
Last edited by IlluminaBlade on Dec 28, 2015, 9:43:23 PM
...So what?
That's basically what makes it good. You can just use a single Pen gem for all three effects.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 29, 2015, 7:43:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info