Chain

Edit: I asked what quest this gem came from as well but according to the PoE wiki it is one of the drop only gems.
Last edited by rbharrington90 on Jan 27, 2013, 12:00:58 PM
Doubling the mana cost I think is completely stupid in my opinion because when it takes your damage down by as much as it does, you need more than just chain supporting it to actually give the skill dps, making the end result just about impossible to use unless you go Blood Magic or Eldrich Battery.
I'm a level 49 Ranger who used to use chain.

I tried it with lightning arrow and lesser multiple projectiles + elemental weapon damage.

It turns out, the chain effect does not scale with the increased projectile quantity.

In other words: you use chain with lesser multiple projectiles and you lose damage and lose a huge amount of magic cost.

How the skill works: you fire 3 shots with LMP, the chain will only work one time for 2 of the projectiles, or twice for one of the projectiles, but not twice for all 3 projectiles. This is a huge problem for people who want to max out their damage with lightning arrow using chain, as it's impossible.

What's worse is: people THINK they're getting value. Everyone wants chain so badly. It's a scam-- a total naive scam.
Last edited by Schaleh on Jan 31, 2013, 5:44:04 PM
then its more of a bug, were you testing in a spot you definitely can hit 3+ foes (to ensure nothing died early or something else that can mess things up)?
nerfing stuff isnt fun..if game isnt fun anymore people leave..

was same in diablo..you finally (the normal people) got somethign working and they nerf it.. stopped long time ago playing that sjit..

same here..working towards a build..leave it alone
How does Chain work with Ethereal Knives?
If you compare the 3 suport gems Fork, Chain and Lesser Multiple Projektils then Fork and Chain aren't worth it.

Don't know about the Archer type skills but for Mage type there are only 2 (Fireball and Arctic Breath) which work with Chain and Fork at all. Multiple Projectils work with some more.

If it comes to pur DPS LMP wins again even more against singel targets as LMP buffed spells can hit a singel target several times.
Fork hits a boss 1 time for 30%(+gemlevel) damage for 125% mana cost
Chain hits a boss 1 time with 50%(+gemlevel) damage for 200% mana cost
LMP hits a boss 3 times with 30%(+gemlevel) damage for 150% mana cost
GMP hits a boss 5 times with 50%(+gemlevel) damage for 200% mana cost

In addition both MP aren't that sutiation depending as Chain and Fork are.

Over all Chain and Fork both need to do much more damagen if they should be equal usefull as Multiple Projectils. Or they should have other benefits like much lower mana use or faster casting.

15% less damage and 125% mana cost for both, Fork and Chain would be OK. Else the MP suport gems win.
Last edited by Schakar on Feb 4, 2013, 10:35:18 PM
i personally think that chain and fork should jsut stay as is.
I am using chain on my burning arrow with ele proliferation and added fire damage and the result is davastating as it quickly spreads Burning through pretty much any group of enemies

Fork goes great with lightning arrow and LMP I think, you have to set up group beforehand though to get the most out of it. But that is perfectly acceptable for the result you get in the end.

The only spell that really benefits from chain in terms ofer overall usefulness and damage increase is Artic Breath I think. Having that thing explode 3 times in a closely packed group of enemies and pretty much freezing all of them is just plainly broken in some cases xD
With the range advantage over freezing Pulse, it makes a perfect alternative

I have yet to test Explosive Arrow with chain but I expect it to do very well
Last edited by ragbasti on Feb 4, 2013, 10:30:08 PM
"
How does Chain work with Ethereal Knives?

There's no reason it wouldn't. Of note the chaining projectiles can hit the same targets as have been hit etc and are considered independent new projectiles.
"
Schaleh wrote:
I'm a level 49 Ranger who used to use chain.

I tried it with lightning arrow and lesser multiple projectiles + elemental weapon damage.

It turns out, the chain effect does not scale with the increased projectile quantity.

In other words: you use chain with lesser multiple projectiles and you lose damage and lose a huge amount of magic cost.

How the skill works: you fire 3 shots with LMP, the chain will only work one time for 2 of the projectiles, or twice for one of the projectiles, but not twice for all 3 projectiles. This is a huge problem for people who want to max out their damage with lightning arrow using chain, as it's impossible.

What's worse is: people THINK they're getting value. Everyone wants chain so badly. It's a scam-- a total naive scam.

can anybody confirm this?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info