Chain

Hm, the things that come to my mind to apply the shock status effect:
- critical strikes
- Conductivity curse (10% shock chance)
- Static Blows passive cluster (20% shock chance)
- Shock passive at the Shadow start (5% shock chance)
- quality Added Lightning Damage (0.5% shock chance per 1% quality)
Hey, I think the lack of chain gems makes many people sad. And I don't think that's what you want- making people sad?

Really, i play this game much much much more then enough (considering what a healthy lifestyle looks like) and I'm not able to obtain chain, in a situation where I desperately need it. I offered everything i had: a unique amulet, reduce mana cost, some gcp and several chaos. But no, the people say, price is 1 exalted minimum.

Change this, please, somehow. The worst part is, the prices are going up.
Last edited by TheHolonist on Feb 17, 2013, 7:03:32 AM
I honestly think chain got onvernerfed, in fact my opinion is similar to Kripps on this issue (as per to his last inverview) in the sense that the issue was never chain, but the abilities being used with chain (and this issue still exists, because abilities like hatrid, which is what was used with chain along with things like power siphon, got buffed)

So in the end, the chain abuse that caused this nerf was largely unaffected, but possibly anything else that could use chain is now quite a bit weaker.

In fact using chain with anything thats not a super pumped power siphon is pretty damn weak....
"
deteego wrote:
I honestly think chain got onvernerfed, in fact my opinion is similar to Kripps on this issue (as per to his last inverview) in the sense that the issue was never chain, but the abilities being used with chain (and this issue still exists, because abilities like hatrid, which is what was used with chain along with things like power siphon, got buffed)

So in the end, the chain abuse that caused this nerf was largely unaffected, but possibly anything else that could use chain is now quite a bit weaker.

In fact using chain with anything thats not a super pumped power siphon is pretty damn weak....

Chain is still the best aoe support for LA, Ice Shot, Power Siphon and Elemental Hit. Possibly Split Shot and EK too not sure, but basically almost everything that's a projectile attack tends to be better with chain than fork or pierce. Even on spells it's still a decent option and a matter of taste(like on EK). I'm not sure how exactly the nerf was too much when it's still the preferred support. The only skill that was really affected was Lightning Strike since the dmg is low so using chain isn't quite as effective here, but is still a valid option until they fix point blank working with from the chain sources instead of from the caster.

Is it a lot worse than before? Sure. Is it not worth using anymore? Hell no, not even close. And that's exactly why chain needed nerfed, because even after the nerfs it's still good.

Hatred wasn't buffed, not sure where you're getting that from nor what it has to do with Chain. Most abilities weren't buffed actually and especially none of the ones that were using Chain.

Chain is still a great support, it's just not so much better than other supports that the answer to "what do I link to my projectile skill?" question is ALWAYS chain. Now it's most of the time chain, but you can make a case for Pierce if you can get a 100% pierce chance or for Fork if you need to keep the damage high for status ailments purposes or because the projectiles are unreliable to begin with(spark).
Sorry if someone has posted this already, but this just came to mind:

Wouldn't it make more sense that the damage reduction penalty on Chain only be effective on the hits that bounce? o-o

On another note, Chain with Flame Totem does not work even when it says it modifies it on the quick slot.
@ELLE_mt

Dual Elemental Hit Totems w/ Tri-Curse, Traps, Frost Wall: http://tinyurl.com/bvdxbjz
Last edited by Versal on Feb 24, 2013, 2:09:10 PM
Never used Chain before but it was suggested for my Arc as nice support Skill for my Summoner Witch. But now my Arc does only hald the dmg and Arc itself is also not that great dmg dealer. Chain also costs a fortune in Mana and Dex, at least for a Witch.
Not sure about the sense of this support gem, it's much more effective and much cheaper to just use Arc twice instead of arc+chain once.

So it was nerved? Why? Does GGG go teh horrible Blizzard way and just nerves everything that is fun in the game? Hm, or is it just bad balancing? For what is this chain actualy useful at the momnent?
"
Versal wrote:
Sorry if someone has posted this already, but this just came to mind:

Wouldn't it make more sense that the damage reduction penalty on Chain only be effective on the hits that bounce? o-o

On another note, Chain with Flame Totem does not work even when it says it modifies it on the quick slot.
flame totem's projectiles actually pierce 100% and thus currently not give a chance for chain to work.
How is increase in damage calculated when you level up the gem against the 50% damage decrease? Is it just a simple substraction meaning the decrease is lowered by 2% each level? Or are both values calculated separately?
'Increased' and 'Reduced' are additive with all other sources of Inc./Red. damage, and are applied to your base damage. Then, 'Less' and 'More' are applied, which are all separate, multiplicative modifiers.
(the order ultimately doesn't matter, but a fixed order is useful for clarity)

I find learning by example works well for me, so in case it's not entirely clear:

100 damage Fireball, 50% Increased Spell Damage, 25% Increased Fire damage.
We have a Chain gem at level 1 and level 11.

First off, the unlinked Fireball would deal 100 * (1 + (50/100) + (25/100)) = 175 Fire damage.

A level 1 Chain has no Increased damage; it only has 50% Less Damage.
175 * 0.5 = 87.5 final Fire Damage. Simple.

At level 11, Chain grants 20% Increased damage.
We need to start with the base damage again, since we have an additional Increased modifier.
100 * (1 + (50/100) + (25/100) + (20/100)) = 195 Fire damage.
Next up are the multiplicative modifiers.
195 * 0.5 = 97.5 Fire damage.

With only Chain as a multiplicative modifier, it does work out as a simple halving. It is applied last, after all. :)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 25, 2013, 11:13:43 AM
Thnx so much for your explanation :)
Last edited by Acer99 on Feb 26, 2013, 4:10:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info