Arc

I've rolled a lvl 62 witch, that focused the whole build around arc, both DPS and crits.

I think that Arc has only one and only problem - single target dmg very, very low, and that's because of 50% dmg effectiveness.

I think that this one simple change would make Arc completely viable as main source of damage:

Make Arc deal FULL dmg to the first target hit and 50% damage to the chained targets.
So if you hit 3 enemies it would be 100%/50%/50% instead of 50%/50%/50%.

I also think that Chain gem should be reworked to only have 50% effectivness on the CHAINED targets and not the WHOLE skill. So Ideally an Arc that is linked to a Chain support gem should do dmg like: 100%/50%/50%/25%/25% to five targets, not 25%/25%/25%/25%/25%, because that is a very VERY low dps at the cost of 200% mana multiplier. You would NEVER want to support arc with chain if you want arc to be your primary dmg output, which is a shame because chain is the ONLY skill that makes arc hit more targets.

In my opinion arc needs a new gem, a complete new skill.
Let´s name it Mirror-Totem.
All that totem does is acting as npcs for chain and enabling fork on hit.
Nothing else. That way you could place that totem vs strong enemys and hit 2 times instead of only once and 3 times if you use chain-gem.

Would be a totally cool mechanic.

+ what the guy above me said.
Last edited by camar1s on Jul 8, 2013, 12:03:42 PM
oh FFS instead of increasing damage effectiveness make it as a projectile spell so it can be used with lmp chain and Voila!

ITS VIABLE AGAIN!
IGN: CyganuHipsterDischarge
"
canzpl wrote:
oh FFS instead of increasing damage effectiveness make it as a projectile spell so it can be used with lmp chain and Voila!

ITS VIABLE AGAIN!

What for would you use chain with arc? To gimp effective dps?

Making arc a projectile would.. wait for it.. increase it's damage effectiveness!
If you would link arc with say lmp, you would have 3 arcs instead of 1, all at 35% dmg effectivness, but wait, projectile spells can hit the same target, which means that you would be able to hit the same target with all 3 arcs, making single target dmg 35%*3=105%. If you link it with gmp you get 125% single target dmg, not counting the fact that all those 3-5 arcs can chain in-between mobs a few times increasing the dmg even further.

Just got my witch to 22. Been using arc (18% Quality) since level 19. I can say I soon as I switch to arc my damage effectiveness went way down. Before that I was using Freeze pulse and fire storm. Despite the fact I've already took a boat load of +lightning damage node my damage is still lower than with freeze pulse or fire storm.

I feel like I've wasted the last few hours on this character and need to start over.

Arc looks like fun, but that is very deceptive. Shame though, I really wanted to like arc.
I wouldn't even think of using this spell until it gets a higher damage effectiveness AND at high levels it should chain more.
All of the great skills have one important thing in common: shotgunning.

Being able to just hit a bunch of mobs at once is always better than single or few targeting.

Here's my pitch, I know there have been a lot, but I think mine may work:

Give Arc an AOE effect. Even as a lightning-specced Templar, Freezing Pulse still matches Arc's single hit DPS. But FP can hit a bunch of guys at once, dealing full damage to all of them! Give Arc a decent sized (think infernal blow explosion) AOE on hit that deals half to full damage to other targets. That way Arc hits, hits everyone around that target, then hits another target, setting off another AOE, etc. Then Arc might be viable.

I'd also suggest raising the minimum damage of Arc by about 200 or so.

You might also raise the whole damage range by 50% and making only chain twice by default. This would mean Chain gives Arc an overall DPS increase rather than the current decrease.
"
Scarborough wrote:

Give Arc an AOE effect. Even as a lightning-specced Templar, Freezing Pulse still matches Arc's single hit DPS. But FP can hit a bunch of guys at once, dealing full damage to all of them! Give Arc a decent sized (think infernal blow explosion) AOE on hit that deals half to full damage to other targets. That way Arc hits, hits everyone around that target, then hits another target, setting off another AOE, etc. Then Arc might be viable.

I like this idea.
Idk, there so many diss about Arc, so i want try it.
What combo can give max dmg? Will try 4L as main, bonus will be if find 5L, but only as bonus.
Any help here or PM with combo for max dmg? What gems need to link with Arc? 4L - main, 1 more if lucky.

And saw mana cost Arc... em, why so much? Why. So low chains, vs packs monsters not so effective (IMHO), and vs bosses will see.

Looks for advice with gems linked with Arc for max dmg.
"
Fantoster wrote:

Looks for advice with gems linked with Arc for max dmg.

Added lightning damage
Lightning penetration
Culling strike
Faster casting

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info