Reave

I just don't see what Reave brings to the table. It's boring
"
Avelice wrote:
What is the max number of stages?

"
Avelice wrote:
Yes, but when dual wielding I believe you only have one attack speed: the average of your two weapons. (I think this is to prevent some pretty awkward animations...) I don't think the ability checks just the attack speed of the specific weapon using the skill.

This might also be true, all I know is that Brightbeak increases attack speed, never bothered to check the math.
"
Avelice wrote:

Yes, but when dual wielding I believe you only have one attack speed: the average of your two weapons. (I think this is to prevent some pretty awkward animations...) I don't think the ability checks just the attack speed of the specific weapon using the skill.

I feel the averaged attack speed is only used for dual strike and cleave, which attack with both hand at same time. I could be wrong though.
Rolled a new character to play with this, not doing anything special with it yet. I'm so far extremely disappointed with how fast the stacks go away. With the amount of desync in this game I am regularly losing them due to hit stun or desync misses and it's irritating as hell.

It feels pretty clunky right now, and even though the increased AoE potential is cool I just can't see any reason to use this instead of Cleave.
Hey! This is a pretty awesome skill and I was playing around with it. The damage overall feels pretty nice and comparable to the damage I was doing beforehand, even without it being fully levelled or qualitied!

I felt the aoe was quite strong even without any aoe passives at all, so no problems there.

Conal AOE is alright, since I was expecting to use it like cleave anyway, so I'm satisfied with the level of AOE I'm getting from it.

On the other hand, the only major problem I'm seeing is lack of synergy with the main dagger/claw mobility skills in whirling blades and flicker strike. Before I had experimented with doublestike+splash and lightning strike and both of the attacks felt extremely fast-paced with the ability to flicker/whirl around big packs and cut them down with heavy crits. Reave on the otherhand feels a bit more stationary, similar to how Incinerate required you to manmode down packs. However, one skill is not like the other and I felt that reave kinda messed up the dagger feel where you went for low aspd and big crits. I hope that the timer will be changed to not be reset by flicker and whirling blades exclusively, to keep it to that fast-paced cutthroat dagger feel.

Great skill guys!

Edit: ack sorry forgot mention I was testing it out as a level 87 crit CI dagger shadow.
Last edited by Noperative on Aug 21, 2013, 2:24:25 AM
Dual wield is really strong regardless of alternating attacks. I think that reave is pretty cool.

Mark, why do you hate the idea of simultaneous attacks so much? Iirc, you and Chris had big disagreements about how dual wield skills should work
Apparently it has a bug with Life Gain on Hit (from rumors) but I have confirmed a bug that I experience regularly.

If you hold down shift and just use the wave to attack enemies, the last 20% of additional area is ignored but the hit animation plays. So, if a player has 8 stacks and holds shift they can still hit enemies that are at a distance from them. The problem is that enemies near the edge of this cone show they're being hit but they take no damage and do not perpetuate the stacks.

As for the skill itself, I love it,it's interesting, it gives a new gameplay option and balances between speed and damage very effectively when using multistrike.

I only wish it would include both weapons in a single swing for say a 20-30% damage loss.

Dual Strike is fantastic for dual wield against single targets and Reave was supposed to bring that effect as an AoE skill but it ultimately feels much weaker than dual Strike with Melee Splash.

However, it is extremely effective for 1H + Shield, and may just be the most powerful skill out there if you're using claws or daggers for melee. I dropped Double strike + Melee splash for it and with a lvl 8 Reave I do more damage than my lvl 16 Double strike was giving me.

Ultimately it's very useful for attacking groups and once I get those claw leech nodes I'll be setting up a Single target Double Strike and keeping Reave for groups.

Score: 8/10 I have my gripes with it, but I'm very happy to see this skill. It's interesting, functional, and isn't completely weak, even with its drawbacks.
IGN: Bravo_Thirsty
"
Alhoon wrote:

And it doesn't end here. That's just one example of a weapon. You can use anything depending on build, a good rare, Supreme Truth for ele builds, even Soul Taker.

I never even considered this.

Now im sad that Ephemeral Edge is a sword >.>
"
Mark, why do you hate the idea of simultaneous attacks so much?
I don't specifically hate it, although I certainly prefer alternating at a faster attack speed as that's more realistic and sensible.
"
Iirc, you and Chris had big disagreements about how dual wield skills should work
No idea where you got that from. Dual Wield has been this way since long before I joined the game, this isn't something I forced in.
The "buff" time is way too short. Or the cone is too limiting.

Reave seem like the perfect run in and out of mobs type of skill. Yet running in to mobs to build up charges and then losing those charges running out defeats the purpose of hit and run tactics.

I see this as a hit and run skill because of the cone effect it has which wouldn't be so terrible if you could actually kite and not lose the buff. At the same time having to stay in the mobs to keep up the buffs would suggest you're supposed to tanks with this skill; but if you stay in the mob you eventually get surrounded and with the terrible cone effect you can't do damage to mobs behind you.

So either make the aoe 360 (preferred) or increase the "buff" timer to allow people to kite without losing the stacks.
IGN:
@Antilogy
Last edited by Antilogy on Aug 21, 2013, 1:44:22 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info