Unpopular Opinion: Removing leftclick/move Skill IS GOOD

NO
"
exsea wrote:
the game devs want players to press buttons intentionally. they want players to use up all the short cut keys/hotbar and press the buttons.

This isn't a fucking MMO, we shouldn't have to go through a rotation of dozens of buttons to play an ARPG. It's not just the wrong genre, it's not POE, and it's also hostile to those who for physical limitations and health reasons require fewer button presses.

"
exsea wrote:
they're simply angry that GGG forced them to manually press a button rather than have it trigger automatically while trying to move

You did see the new support gems, right? They only removed automation from non-gem instant skills, like the necromancer ascendancy's bone armour skill; other skills can still be automated using the new supports. It's a needless increase in socket pressure and a removal of QoL for everyone, but for the most part it is not a removal of automation.
Fairgraves was a slave trafficker specialized in the kidnapping and transport of children. He was not "a good man".
"
ExiledSarin wrote:
There's one big issue with this thinking.

Using guard skill proactively hasn't been realistically possible for years now due to pacing and lack of visual clarity of the game.

This. When anything and everything has a chance of 1shotting you, including while buried under a mountain of particle effects and/or monsters, a proactive approach to using guard skills is just not feasible.

And if you have guard skills gained via an ascendancy, such as Bone Armour, you can't even automate them with the new support gem. So not only are you forced to use the guard skill manually, you're gonna have to figure out how to jam it in your already-limited skill bar.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
"

This isn't a fucking MMO, we shouldn't have to go through a rotation of dozens of buttons to play an ARPG. It's not just the wrong genre, it's not POE, and it's also hostile to those who for physical limitations and health reasons require fewer button presses.

ARPG evolves. look back at where we started. if we want to be anal about it, back in diablo 1 warriors had BASIC ATTACK. players only had basic attacks

only in d2 did we start having more interesting skills.

even in d2, blizzard actually started to innovate and encourage players to cycle through abilities. i dont know if you know, but we could assign shortcut keys 1 to 9 (or was it up to 0?) for each left and right mouse button.

even back then we were expected to cycle through different skills. paladdins had various auras they could cycle thru, they had various skills they could utilize for single target/multi target. necromancers had a 1-2 combo where they could curse before spamming an opponent, speaking of necros, they also had bone armor, bone prison.

how different is that from POE1?

personally i m using:
1. Single target attack skill
2. Trash mob clearing attack skill
3. Temp buff (blood rage)
4. Movement skill (dash)
5. Guard skill.

some people would even reduce that by 1 as their main skill can do both single and multi targets. but do we stop there?

no, we can continue improving on. we can slap on

1. Curses/Marks
2. Totems
3. Support spells (such as the overly useful frost bomb to prevent regen)
4. Golems
5. Banners/Stances
6. Heralds/Auras and even blessings

Not to forget, some skills function well as a 1-2 punch and are meant to be cast one after another.

BUT i will actually agree with you that we're not expected to press a dozen shortcuts in rotation like an MMO. in fact me myself i automate a lot of things with stuff with curse on hit/blasphemy, cast on damage taken etc.

that said i DO sympathize for players with health issues that force them to use builds with less buttons. but if you really want to go down that path, we have a ton of minion builds or even 1 button builds or even ZERO button builds in the game. flicker strike need just a blood rage and maybe a dash skill to go even faster to work.

if you choose to play a build that uses a lot of buttons THATS ON YOU. i personally have enough slots to maybe cast 1-2 more things but i choose not to. WHY? coz i m lazy. if i can automate it i would.

"

You did see the new support gems, right? They only removed automation from non-gem instant skills, like the necromancer ascendancy's bone armour skill; other skills can still be automated using the new supports. It's a needless increase in socket pressure and a removal of QoL for everyone, but for the most part it is not a removal of automation.

which is something good on GGG's part. they know a ton of players love the automation, so instead of downright removing it, they gave players a way to replace the loss of automation via sacrificing a support slot. you want to play it in a way they dont want you to, they add in a cost. are you willing to accept?

in fact, if i read it correctly you can automate several skills at once.

they did the same with curses and marks. blasphemy and x on hit was too much automation for GGG to accept so they added a 30% penalty to curses/marks that were applied via automation.

isit a NERF? yes. it most definitely is.
[Removed by Support]
"
Pizzarugi wrote:
"
ExiledSarin wrote:
There's one big issue with this thinking.

Using guard skill proactively hasn't been realistically possible for years now due to pacing and lack of visual clarity of the game.

This. When anything and everything has a chance of 1shotting you, including while buried under a mountain of particle effects and/or monsters, a proactive approach to using guard skills is just not feasible.

And if you have guard skills gained via an ascendancy, such as Bone Armour, you can't even automate them with the new support gem. So not only are you forced to use the guard skill manually, you're gonna have to figure out how to jam it in your already-limited skill bar.

i agree it is a problem. GGG does need to address it one way or another if they want to justify removing automation.

as mentioned previously. before they can improve things, they need to remove automation first.

admittedly i am skeptical with GGG. they tend to nerf things but keep monsters the same which is a negative to the player all around rather than rebalance monster damage /hp.
[Removed by Support]
If GGG didn't just toss random enemies at all without warning in maps then maybe guard skills could be used to actively defend against attacks. I don't use them anymore because I honestly don't have the socket space. I just outstat the enemies with defenses (which I think is a bad design paradigm. If my character can only be killed by a monster with 400% added chaos damage, then that monster is going to turbo kill anything else practically)

I'll be honest and say I would love if poe would be the kind of arpg where you can use skills in more intelligent ways then just hold down the six link skill until everything dies, but its not.

These also can't automate various melee things which I would want them to do, things like banners, blessings, buff totems, etc.

I see where you are coming from, but honestly this idea feels half-baked.

This change only makes those that don't... how should I say this... use potentially banned tools to play the game worse than those that do. It is going to push people to use 3rd party tools to automate their gameplay, and POE needs less apps in its design space, not more.
This nerf totally makes sense if you think about it for a minute... Before, you were getting this major beneficial action basically completely for free. It was a no-brainer that you'd slap on almost every character in some form.

Now it actually has a cost to it, you have to think about it. The devs are all about that kind of thing, so again, makes total sense to me.

Hopefully the mana multipliers and cooldown recovery rate reductions will not be too bad. I think that will really make or break these new gems.
All i'm going to add is that there has been a fair few bug reports about not being able to move made in the past because people put skills in the left mouse slot.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Yeah I have absolutely no problem with this change. The alarm seems very silly.

I love Vampire Survivors, but this isn't Vampire Survivors. It's entirely reasonable that there's some kind of minor cost associated with not having to actively use an active skill. This is precisely the kind of thing that support gems exist to do.

Timed self-buffs are consistently the least interesting flavour of ability in ARPGs, and really only the extremes (permanent duration making it close to a kind of passive investment, and very short duration making it strongly reactive) are things I would generally say 'deserve to exist'. To allow the middle ground at all is an indulgence, and all it costs you here is a support gem.
"
exsea wrote:

we have that same treatment with curses. curse on hit, blasphemy. everything automated comes at a cost. self cast must always come with a benefit.

nobody uses self-cast curses if he can avoid it. even Balance of Terror didnt change that - it being rather gated item not helping. the bonuses granted also should be simply baked into the gem if self-cast, wasting jewel slot is a hefty price for some trivia

curses to be self-cast viable MUST last A LOT longer than 9 seconds (30secs would make a good starting point), and DO different/extra things than automated ones. and these things MUST be valuable

thats the consequence of POE having 0.1s time to die. clicking is risky

the root cause of all this automation story is just that - time-to-die shorter than in gatcha games.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info