[3.23] Lk's Cold DoT Ele [League-start to over 40m DoT] (Wildwood Primalist Update)

I legit only want to play cold dot TT
The latest patch notes is a nerf to Cold DoT QoL as we cannot run Vortex on left click.

We will have to rely more on Creeping Frost and VCS for mapping. I'm travelling atm and will conduct further anlaysis when I'm back on Sunday.
YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/@LkGG-Gaming
Devouring Diadem CDoT Elementalist Guide: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3362183
Vaal Caress CDoT Trickster Guide: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3450602
"
LkGGz wrote:
The latest patch notes is a nerf to Cold DoT QoL as we cannot run Vortex on left click.

We will have to rely more on Creeping Frost and VCS for mapping. I'm travelling atm and will conduct further anlaysis when I'm back on Sunday.

waiting for the your full report boss! safe travels!
"
rembihnutur wrote:
Keep in mind:

we don't know what the alternate vortex gems do. it would be hilarious if there was one where you can cast it anywhere rather than only on your feet.

there is a cast time, but there is also no cooldown on the ability itself. obviously you can't run it on left click but it may up the mapping speed now that vortex has no cooldown. i'd also imagine that cast speed can make it cast even faster to the point where you'd hardly notice it.

Hope there's a transfigured version that reverts the skill back to the old Vortex!

"
vlavour wrote:
"
LkGGz wrote:

waiting for the your full report boss! safe travels!

Thank you sir! :)
Devouring Diadem CDoT Elementalist Guide: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3362183
Below are my thoughts on the latest patch notes reveal for Cold DoT (patch notes are in the quotes):

TLDR: Overall QoL nerf, Molten Shell on left click, slightly higher defense, roughly same DPS. Wait for transfigured gems.

Vortex Skill Gem:
"
Now has a 0.750 second Cast Time (previously instant), and no longer has a Cooldown Time.

It can no longer be cast on Frostbolt projectiles, and as such, no longer has 20% less Area of Effect when Cast on Frostbolt or "Can explode from up to 5 Frostbolt Projectiles."

It now deals 49 to 73 Cold Damage at gem level 1 (previously 41 to 62), scaling up to 779 to 1169 at gem level 20 (previously 1209 to 1813).

Quality now provides +0-0.2 metres to radius, instead of 0-10% increased Area of Effect.

The instant cast time removal is the largest nerf for the build. Our Vortex DoT DPS remains the same, but we suffer in the Quality of Life (QoL) and mapping speed area. Currently, we cast Vortex on left click. In 3.23, this will no longer be possible. Hence, we will have to cast Vortex manually. Our mapping speed will suffer.

What shall we put on left click now? The best candidate is Molten Shell.

Since we are casting Molten Shell on left click, we can use a lvl 20 version of Molten Shell which provides us with more armour and damage blocked. We also gain a gem slot from dropping CWDT.

What shall we put on the gem slot gained from dropping CWDT?

I recommend using Arcanist Brand to combine Frostbite and Ele Weakness into one cast. This will help us recover some QoL that was lost from Vortex's change.

Alternatively, we can slot in Culling Strike into Shield Charge/Flame Dash/Frostblink/Both. This will improve our effective DPS against bosses and tanky rares.

You can simulate this left click change by loading up your Cold DoT character and putting Molten Shell on left click, manually casting Vortex and combining the curses into an Arcanist Brand. Unfortunately you won't be able to simulate the cast time on Vortex.

Other Vortex changes:
Removal of Cast on Frostbolt >> doesn't matter as we don't use Cast on Frostbolt

Change in Vortex on hit DPS >> doesn't matter as we only care about the DoT aspect of Vortex (unlike ignite Vortex, which scales from the on hit damage)

Quality change >> inconsequential

Transfigured Gems
"
-Transfigured Gems are alternate versions of existing skill gems that have different functionality and balance than their regular versions. We have added many of these, with interesting variations that drastically change how existing skills play.

-Some existing skill gems have had stats or interactions removed from the base gem and moved to the Transfigured versions to provide more focused support for pre-existing alternate playstyles.

The second pointer provides some hope that the old Vortex skill gem that we ran on left click will be restored in the transfigured version. We will have to wait and see.

I am also excited about what the transfigured versions of Creeping Frost and Cold Snap will bring.

Cold Snap Skill Gem
"
-No longer has 0-19% increased Effect of Chill.

-Quality now provides 0-20% more Effect of Chill, instead of 0-10% increased Area of Effect.

This is a buff to Cold Snap with quality but a nerf to Cold Snap without quality.

Obtaining 21/20 Vaal Cold Snap is not an issue in trade league, due to the existence of this divination card: https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/A_Chilling_Wind

I am looking forward to the transfigured version.

Creeping Frost Skill Gem
"
Quality now provides +0-0.2 metres to radius, instead of 0-10% increased Area of Effect.

Inconsequential change. I am looking forward to the transfigured version.

Elemental Weakness
"
Quality now provides 0-20% increased Duration of Elemental Ailments on Cursed Enemies, instead of 0-10% increased Effect of Curse.

This is a minor DPS nerf.

Removal of alternate quality gems and lab helmet
"
Alternate quality gems, labyrinth helmet enchantments and unique threshold jewels are all systems that were trying to subtly modify the behaviour of skills. With this expansion these have been combined into a new system called Transfigured Gems that allows us to fully achieve the goal of these three systems, and then some.

My current plans for the week ahead are:
-I will update both Cold DoT Elementalist/Trickster guides for 3.23 after the transfigured gems are out
-I will be league-starting as Cold DoT Elementalist/Trickster in 3.23 (leaning towards Trickster)
Last edited by LkGGz on Dec 3, 2023, 7:00:53 AM
sadge seems like this build is dead to me... do you guys know any similiar build with same feel as this one pre nerf? probably some minion builds ha?
Last edited by rezzet on Dec 3, 2023, 2:02:11 PM
Hi friends, I've added my further thoughts in a video: https://youtu.be/ukTIepyQ35k

"
LkGGz wrote:
Spoiler
Below are my thoughts on the latest patch notes reveal for Cold DoT (patch notes are in the quotes):

TLDR: Overall QoL nerf, Molten Shell on left click, slightly higher defense, roughly same DPS. Wait for transfigured gems.

Vortex Skill Gem:
"
Now has a 0.750 second Cast Time (previously instant), and no longer has a Cooldown Time.

It can no longer be cast on Frostbolt projectiles, and as such, no longer has 20% less Area of Effect when Cast on Frostbolt or "Can explode from up to 5 Frostbolt Projectiles."

It now deals 49 to 73 Cold Damage at gem level 1 (previously 41 to 62), scaling up to 779 to 1169 at gem level 20 (previously 1209 to 1813).

The instant cast time removal is the largest nerf for the build. Our Vortex DoT DPS remains the same, but we suffer in the Quality of Life (QoL) and mapping speed area. Currently, we cast Vortex on left click. In 3.23, this will no longer be possible. Hence, we will have to cast Vortex manually. Our mapping speed will suffer.

What shall we put on left click now? The best candidate is Molten Shell.

Since we are casting Molten Shell on left click, we can use a lvl 20 version of Molten Shell which provides us with more armour and damage blocked. We also gain a gem slot from dropping CWDT.

What shall we put on the gem slot gained from dropping CWDT?

I recommend using Arcanist Brand to combine Frostbite and Ele Weakness into one cast. This will help us recover some QoL that was lost from Vortex's change.

Alternatively, we can slot in Culling Strike into Shield Charge/Flame Dash/Frostblink/Both. This will improve our effective DPS against bosses and tanky rares.

You can simulate this left click change by loading up your Cold DoT character and putting Molten Shell on left click, manually casting Vortex and combining the curses into an Arcanist Brand. Unfortunately you won't be able to simulate the cast time on Vortex.

Other Vortex changes:
Removal of Cast on Frostbolt >> doesn't matter as we don't use Cast on Frostbolt

Change in Vortex on hit DPS >> doesn't matter as we only care about the DoT aspect of Vortex (unlike ignite Vortex, which scales from the on hit damage)

Quality change >> inconsequential

Transfigured Gems
"
-Transfigured Gems are alternate versions of existing skill gems that have different functionality and balance than their regular versions. We have added many of these, with interesting variations that drastically change how existing skills play.

-Some existing skill gems have had stats or interactions removed from the base gem and moved to the Transfigured versions to provide more focused support for pre-existing alternate playstyles.

The second pointer provides some hope that the old Vortex skill gem that we ran on left click will be restored in the transfigured version. We will have to wait and see.

I am also excited about what the transfigured versions of Creeping Frost and Cold Snap will bring.

Cold Snap Skill Gem
"
-No longer has 0-19% increased Effect of Chill.

-Quality now provides 0-20% more Effect of Chill, instead of 0-10% increased Area of Effect.

This is a buff to Cold Snap with quality but a nerf to Cold Snap without quality.

Obtaining 21/20 Vaal Cold Snap is not an issue in trade league, due to the existence of this divination card: https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/A_Chilling_Wind

I am looking forward to the transfigured version.

Creeping Frost Skill Gem
"

Inconsequential change. I am looking forward to the transfigured version.

Elemental Weakness
"
Quality now provides 0-20% increased Duration of Elemental Ailments on Cursed Enemies, instead of 0-10% increased Effect of Curse.

Removal of alternate quality gems and lab helmet
"
Alternate quality gems, labyrinth helmet enchantments and unique threshold jewels are all systems that were trying to subtly modify the behaviour of skills. With this expansion these have been combined into a new system called Transfigured Gems that allows us to fully achieve the goal of these three systems, and then some.

My current plans for the week ahead are:
-I will update both Cold DoT Elementalist/Trickster guides for 3.23 after the transfigured gems are out
-I will be league-starting as Cold DoT Elementalist/Trickster in 3.23 (leaning towards Trickster)
"
rezzet wrote:
sadge seems like this build is dead to me... do you guys know any similiar build with same feel as this one pre nerf? probably some minion builds ha?

Holy Relic Necromancer.
The latest version of PoB reduces the DoT damage of Vortex by 50%. Is that an error on their part or did I misunderstand something in the patch notes?
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
"
The latest version of PoB reduces the DoT damage of Vortex by 50%. Is that an error on their part or did I misunderstand something in the patch notes?

Path of Building is wrong lol. I will raise a bug report. Thanks for your contribution to the Path of Building program XD

Last edited by LkGGz on Dec 6, 2023, 6:27:58 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info