Well this is kinda sudden -- Complete Wolcen on PS4/5 next week / on sale on steam atm.

"

--

Well I made it to chapter 3 before putting it down. Just too many bugs. Bummer, but I can see why they didn't advertise this at all. It's an absolute bust. Missing textures, npcs getting stuck at the beginning of the level, crashes, sound cutting out...yeah. And as I said on the sub, I didn't do this for me. I wanted to test it. So test it I did. I would refund it if I could. It is that unacceptable.

Oh well. Back to Titan Quest and/or Stranger of Paradise.

Promoting Wolcen and playing something else.
So ... incongruous...
What you quoted was the fucking opposite of a promotion.
I may or may not have spent a great deal of this weekend hunting down every live version of 'Cliffs of Dover' I can. Eric Johnson is a guitarist's guitarist. He makes me want to be a writer's writer.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 19, 2023, 6:07:43 PM
"
What you quoted was the fucking opposite of a promotion.

Nope. You were promotiong it. Then You changed your mind after actually playing it.
Last edited by awesome999 on Mar 20, 2023, 12:23:59 AM
Because that is what mature people do, Bloodpuddles420. They change their mind based on experience. My ps5 experience was utterly dreadful which is precisely what you quoted -- and it is not a promotion. It is a condemnation. Explicitly.

Can you please stop? Just...I dunno. Engage with posts instead of needlessly being antagonistic? It's that or I just ignore you. In fact, I think that'll do. Life's too short to waste it on people who don't value your time or effort.

---

There was a small patch on Xbox enlarging the font which is nice but I am not expecting any sort of fix on Ps4/5 in a hurry. A few people are reporting perfect experiences which baffles me given how consistent one console is to the next but eh.

Either way I did what I set out to do. Tested the ps4/5 version, found it very much wanting. Were I so inclined to play the game 'as intended' I would get back to the PC version, which I think is a fine ARPG at the right price point.

Will update thread should there be updates. As a fun aside, I had forgotten how amazing Immortal Throne is for an old expansion. It's huge, diverse, and surprisingly interesting for what seems at first like a linear descent into the Greek Underworld. Incidentally Titan Quest is also a bust on console but a very good ARPG on either PC or mobile (since the console version was outsourced while the.mobile version was done in-house). And still a whole heap of builds, far more than any other ARPG out at the time. TQ holds up better than it has any right to.

I am bummed about Wolcen ps4/5 but not in the slightest surprised. Still, took one for the team, so to speak.
I may or may not have spent a great deal of this weekend hunting down every live version of 'Cliffs of Dover' I can. Eric Johnson is a guitarist's guitarist. He makes me want to be a writer's writer.
"
Because that is what mature people do, Bloodpuddles420. They change their mind based on experience. My ps5 experience was utterly dreadful which is precisely what you quoted -- and it is not a promotion. It is a condemnation. Explicitly.

Can you please stop? Just...I dunno. Engage with posts instead of needlessly being antagonistic? It's that or I just ignore you. In fact, I think that'll do. Life's too short to waste it on people who don't value your time or effort.

You 're in denial. We are both being antagonistic. I should take your advice and ignore you too.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
So I really dislike having to use Discord to report bugs but that is precisely how Wolcen do it so back I went. And found out they have a 10 minute wait period between joining and posting. Not sure if that is standard Discord server policy but it doesn't exactly encourage non-members to bother posting feedback/bugs.

Anyway that's done. They are, needless to say, swamped with bug reports on all platforms regardless.

And in what looks like a soft transition to maintenance mode, they are dropping monthly updates in favour of "more frequent smaller patches and news" since the game is now "complete".

Whether or not they can get it to a state where it can make some last minute sales before Diablo IV probably buries it forever remains to be seen.

It is genuinely sad how close this game came to the acceptable glory of being a unique approach to the ARPG mould, with irs more cinematic tone, really diverse skill pool (all of which come with a heap of lore that no one noticed), and a fairly creative endgame loop incorporating rogue-lite elements. I will play it a lot more should it get a decent playstation fix, even into DIV's era given the longevity of that game seems less about a zen solo mode loop and more about dealing with other people's shit. We shall see.

There is always room in an ARPG veteran's collection for a good, compulsive solo loop...and yet how few ARPGs really provide one. We traditionally just made our own. Ironically I think D3's Adventure Mode was/is the best non-story, new character loop offered by any ARPG to date. PoE doesn't have one. IM sort of does with its perpetual recycling of side missions. Last epoch didn't last I checked. Wolcen's is, as with D3's, hidden behind finishing the story once. DIV so far doesn't but I would be very surprised if they made you play the story with every character. Not after how well received AMode was.

A non story mode loop for new characters made after finishing the story would be a big improvement to PoE were they to push one through with 4.0...I think. Otoh I canot rush stories -- even if I know them back to front, the feeling of rushing through one is distasteful to me, since I try to treat each time like that character's first time, which it is. Better to just not need that at all imo. Cpuld I blast through PoE's loooooong campaign? Sure. But I would be bored by the time I got to maps and that sort of defeats the purpose.

I would argue that a non story mode loop for subsequent characters after one has finished "the story" should be a standard feature of any decent, modern ARPG.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info