[3.25] Ice Dancing Queen - Icestorm/Cyclone/CI - Viable For Everything

"
Vennto wrote:
I have a few problems with the build though: Maven was a PAIN in the ass with her permanent teleporting.

Check the Play Style scetion of the guide and use Name Locking. You don't need to even see the Maven to destroy her with this build.
"
Also on the more general side: Why in the hell do we actually waste 5 links in the chest for that cwdt-curse setup? Like, when I killed maven for the voidstone she was 80% without curses because I dodge the biggest attacks.

Because you didn't use the recommended practice (see above).
"
dcmallo wrote:
is there a reason we don't take ghost dance, soul thief, and the int %evasion for 4 points? I think it adds a lot of defense to the build.

Not enough skill points. None of that stuff is better than what is currently in the build.
Do we have any recommendations for charms yet?L
Finally got to level and tossed on some items.
still trying to get my gems up in level so i can do stuff but was wondering what the goto budget / endgame charms would be
Small update

I had even less time to play PoE than excepted. Just chilling here and working on my maps with some cheap gear.

Leveling is completely trivial with the Warden ascendancy. I was in Act 3 when I found that NPC and it was a breeze all the way to yellow maps - when I got some budget items and a couple of charms worth using. Then I switched to Primalist.

The quests for 6 of the 8 wild ascendancy points can be super easily done in Act 10 Desecrated Chambers. Just flip the instances with ctrl-clicking on the waypoint. Only the final point requires finding the big boss in red maps. I haven't found him yet.

Trying to catch up on the forum posts but it takes a lot of time. Although it's entertaining to see somebody post a critical review after playing the build for 5 days and missing one of the most important play style elements that could make his experience so much better. That's what happens when you try a completely new build and don't bother reading through the entire guide or watching the videos.

I made a couple of small changes to the guide:

- Edited the recommended levels and quality of some gems that changed in 3.23.

- Changed the Budget PoB back to keep Dreamer. My bad for trusting somebody's post about the mana regen per power charge being enough. It's FAR from enough when your gear is bugdet and you don't have a Watcher's Eye yet. You can get permanently drained by CWDT vs some bosses that hit a lot. Dreamer is so much safer. Drop it when you are no longer in the Budget category.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Dec 14, 2023, 3:00:42 PM
"
busi wrote:
still trying to get my gems up in level so i can do stuff but was wondering what the goto budget / endgame charms would be

One charm effect I found very useful so far is 'Cannot Be Stunned While Leeching' - i.e. pretty much never since you are always leeching. This lets you get some extra ES from the helmet by switching the ES Mastery option as well.

'Hits have a chance to deal 50% more area damage' - it's yet another multiplicative damage mod. Not a big one, but useful.

+Str/Int is always nice.

Resist penetration is always nice.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Dec 14, 2023, 2:56:52 PM
"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
busi wrote:

One charm effect I found very useful so far is 'Cannot Be Stunned While Leeching' - i.e. pretty much never since you are always leeching. This lets you get some extra ES from the helmet by switching the ES Mastery option as well.

'Hits have a chance to deal 50% more area damage' - it's yet another multiplicative damage mod. Not a big one, but useful.

+Str/Int is always nice.

There are stronger ones that are quite cheap, + base crit at max power charges, enemies explode, frenzy on hit etc, mana as es and so on, as well as +40 int.
"
WinterHiko wrote:
"
Graiaule wrote:

At the moment, I have 2 div I've found, plus maybe 75c. Dithering over whether I should craft the 18% belt (instead of the 17c total cost 14% I am using now. Once you have a few divines, you can craft and flip these for a profit of 0.5 - 1 div -- sometimes.)

Buy synth rings first. They were 2div last weekend, 3-5 div now (if you check often or have a live search going) and they will be 15div in two weeks. If you can nab one or two, it's the perfect moment.

Yeah -- the question is, is it faster to farm heist slowly to get 4-5 div, or should I use the 2 div to craft and flip things...

Well frak me they are already up to 7 div. Maybe I should run the maps or whatever that spawns these! I've never seen one drop. Any idea where they do?
Last edited by Graiaule on Dec 14, 2023, 5:28:58 PM
"
Kelvynn wrote:

- Changed the Budget PoB back to keep Dreamer. My bad for trusting somebody's post about the mana regen per power charge being enough. It's FAR from enough when your gear is bugdet and you don't have a Watcher's Eye yet. You can get permanently drained by CWDT vs some bosses that hit a lot. Dreamer is so much safer. Drop it when you are no longer in the Budget category.

Allow me to differ and explain why.

Assuming we do switch Dreamer to that single point, which gives us three points back, in the budget PoB.

Self-casting without any interruption, the cost per second of Ice Storm is 119.68 mana. You regen 150.4 mana per second. Ice Storm's cost is 68 mana. That means that even if you get completely drained of mana, you'll be back casting in 0.45 seconds, which doesn't affect DPS much, especially since we get 8-15% more damage in exchange.

Now consider the trigger rate of IC at 3 second cooldown and a cost of 39. The effective time to recover that trigger every three seconds is 0.25 seconds. That's a mana per second upkeep of 13 mps on average

Ball Lightning might be more draining since it doesn't have any trigger, but that's a 39 cost everytime it casts. Assuming a cast every second, it would still be a drain of 39mps.

Finally, you got Frostblink for 22 mana, which regenerates in 0.15 seconds, so almost instantly.

All in all, the worst that can happen if everything procs at once is a drain of 168 at once. Considering the mana pool of 422 mana and that this drain will be regenerated over a little over one second, I would argue that the niche situations in which you get hit fast enough and often enough to completely drain your 422 mana pool and lower your cast rate for Ice Storm is not worth giving up three points, which can mean 8-15% more damage. The natural regen while casting IS on repeat without interruption is, after all, still 30.72mps, which is one cast of IC, BL or Frostblink per second.

With that said, it's your build, if you think it's better to keep Dreamer, do what you think best!
"
Firestrike9 wrote:
"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
busi wrote:

+Str/Int is always nice.

There are stronger ones that are quite cheap, + base crit at max power charges, enemies explode, frenzy on hit etc, mana as es and so on, as well as +40 int.

Oh, I forgot about frenzy charge on hit. That's a good one for sure. Not cheap though. At least if you try to find it combined with something else good.

+0.6-1%Base crit? Looks kinda small to me. Values closer to 1% combined with something else good is not cheap. And it's only good until you max your crit chance with A&A.

Mana as ES is nice, but only the top tier. Which is again not cheap at all when combined with something else.

Explosions would be nice but definitely require stacking this mod on all 3 charms to be worth it. And not cheap at all. A swap set of charms for mapping I suppose.
"
WinterHiko wrote:
"
Kelvynn wrote:

Allow me to differ and explain why.

Assuming we do switch Dreamer to that single point, which gives us three points back, in the budget PoB.

Self-casting without any interruption, the cost per second of Ice Storm is 119.68 mana. You regen 150.4 mana per second. Ice Storm's cost is 68 mana. That means that even if you get completely drained of mana, you'll be back casting in 0.45 seconds, which doesn't affect DPS much, especially since we get 8-15% more damage in exchange.

Now consider the trigger rate of IC at 3 second cooldown and a cost of 39. The effective time to recover that trigger every three seconds is 0.25 seconds. That's a mana per second upkeep of 13 mps on average

Ball Lightning might be more draining since it doesn't have any trigger, but that's a 39 cost everytime it casts. Assuming a cast every second, it would still be a drain of 39mps.

Finally, you got Frostblink for 22 mana, which regenerates in 0.15 seconds, so almost instantly.

All in all, the worst that can happen if everything procs at once is a drain of 168 at once. Considering the mana pool of 422 mana and that this drain will be regenerated over a little over one second, I would argue that the niche situations in which you get hit fast enough and often enough to completely drain your 422 mana pool and lower your cast rate for Ice Storm is not worth giving up three points, which can mean 8-15% more damage. The natural regen while casting IS on repeat without interruption is, after all, still 30.72mps, which is one cast of IC, BL or Frostblink per second.

With that said, it's your build, if you think it's better to keep Dreamer, do what you think best!

The math looks fine but the reality was very different. I found myself out of mana unable to cast on multiple occasions. Had to take out CWDT gems during the boss fight - and was instantly back to good. I don't have time or desire right now to figure out exactly why it was happening.

The budget gear situation doesn't last very long for this build. And the difference made by 3 skill points is not significant either. You are still leveling at this point. Dreamer is very safe. The alternative is unsafe.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Dec 14, 2023, 6:33:00 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info