Challenges in Path of Exile: Sentinel

A lot of those are just RNG.
Well, you kinda were able to do 40/40 even as an ambitious casual, if you were willing to buy 1-2 carries.
Now, reaching 40/40 with all those added extra hard content... I guess I have to say goodbye to even trying. ^^
Looking at Kirac's mods available, those RNG-based ones seem a bit easier to bear.
However, I'm worried to see how it is almost always "each of the listed"- that means you can still get stuck at being almost there, irritated, missing just that one elusive tick. We got challange like this before that was changed mid-league for this exact reason (Scourge I believe?), so that's probably history repeating.

As for conditionals and Uber kills, I can easily see how people will buy carry en masse. I wonder if you don't see it as a problem or just have no solution to it? In case of the latter, I have a suggestion down below.

Speaking of conditionals, I haven't seen any map boss ones for a while now- it's all about endgame bosses, how come? Many people will buy a carry simply because of the entry fee, get it done once, and then maybe try themselves with spare currency sometime later, if ever. Same spare currency they can use to buy items from the very same boss instead, so I can imagine which way it goes with "I have limited time" argument so many bring up.

Like never before, this time around I just feel like it is a drag to keep me around for three months instead of three weeks. Every single thing can be bought or speedrun with enough currency, that's not a challange, that's a bucket list.

A suggestion for future conditionals (for example):
"Defeat Maven after completing at least 2 memory games, while same players were present at the start of the encounter through to the end, and no player died or left the area"
"Defeat Sirus after surviving at least one X-shaped beam phase without gaining Awakener stacks, while same players were present at the start of the encounter through to the end, and no player died or left the area"

Solo players automaticially get "while same players" condition and "no player died or left the area" locks the possibility of logout macro or "6-portals rule", you have to actually beat the fight the way it is designed, no shortcuts.
Party players have to perfect it raid-style.
Buying carry is impossible, unless the buyer themselves handle the mechanic as well as carry ("same players"/"no dying/leaving"). No bursting down before mechanics gets involved, because you have to complete specific mechanic number of times to tick the challange.

Currently, each such challange is 4 mechanics, and we have 4 seasons between expansions. The idea would be to instead focus on one mechanic each time around, so as next expansion rolls out, you have whole fight down, progressiviely mastering the most deadly moves. Those who nail it deathless on their first try get the confirmation of their awesomeness. Those who need to practice will feel awesome once they get it right. No one can complain about mixing "good players" with "carry buyers". SSF and Hardcore players get special credit, as SSF will get that one quicker than Trade with their adaptation to solo play, and no one can undermine Hardcore player skills anymore as for "no logging out" part.
It doesn't seem too hard to code with how some values are being checked at various points already (like people logging out before Maven says "...my collection", so they still trigger the fight for carry, but HP multiplier do not apply) but I'm no programmer.
Last edited by Inemal on May 10, 2022, 3:55:18 PM
a swing and a miss
I don't have a problem with hard uber bosses being on there. I mean just play the game more, get more currency, improve your character. If I was able to farm yellow The Feared invitations without dying then I don't fear those uber bosses. They won't be doable with 5 ex leaguestarter character but once my character has omgwtfpwn gear they'll fall.

What I do have issue with is things like Harvest Boss. This is nearly impossible to do on your own. I haven't found one since Ultimatum league. This challenge basically reads 'go to TFT Discord and spend your hard earned exalts on this RNG shit instead of progressing your character power'

Please reconsider these kind of challenges. Or at least buff the occurence rates. You should not expect players to defeat things that spawn once in 5000 maps.
-.-
Awakened Combustion Support when?
Man, so much masochism in there.
REEEEEEP

/e
"
Esubane wrote:
This challenge basically reads 'go to TFT Discord and spend your hard earned exalts on this RNG shit instead of progressing your character power'

I also highly dislike this, but they always had heavy currency-spending challenges.
TFT is a...needed tool.
Now if you play SSF...you better don't for challenges lol.
I agree with you, it's tough, but it's their playground, we're lab rats.
Last edited by al3xro on May 10, 2022, 4:55:21 PM
Just wanted to leave my two cents about current challenges.

I love challenging challenges. I play trade league but only because I love the economic part while mostly crafting all my gear myself and not ever going to TFT for challenge completion (at best friends that share stuff).

So far the challenge system, as mentioned before, was nothing but a means of getting coolish mtx for no money investment. Rarely do challenges challenge my skill rather than my RNG and/or grind capability. The few things that require skill are conditional bosses and it's often quite lame because regardless of how well you perform, it gets mostly invalidated since everyone can just go to TFT to buy that challenge aswell. So why do I even invest time to get my challenges done?

Problem: Challenges are mostly done for bragging rights, but in this game they are for free mtx. Bragging rights are negated because you can't prove that you didn't just BUY the challenge. So all that's left is to go against FOMO and "get it done".

Solution: Either remove the term "challenge" from the system to make it clear that they are just league goals OR you make them actually challenging by removing the possibility of BUYING a challenge-carry-service from TFT or elsewhere.

Even now there will be people that manage 40/40 just because of how easy they can acquire currency with sources like TFT, forum gold, RMT and other stupid "illegal" shenanigans that ruin an economy. Just please don't let it also ruin the satisfaction of challenge completion.
Arian Synthesis of G3
These challenges are making me consider playing diablo immortal instead...

PoE is already my most played game on steam and yet you want EVEN MORE of my time, can I have some days to breathe??? geez

"Early challenges have been condensed so that their rewards unlock at 6 and 12 completions, rather than at 12 and 24."

"Ophidian set 6-24 challenges"
yh nice joke, all you did was break 1 armour set down into individual pieces and give a couple pieces earlier. Doubt more than a handful of players will get 24 challenges like they did in previous leagues due to how difficult and ridiculous these new challenges are. As many people have stated it's a bit stupid to invest all that time to get 2-3 pieces of a set you can't even complete.

Also, lets not pretend that the game isn't going to be significantly harder with the new rare mob mod system and then the sentinel mechanic on top of that.

It's bad enough that you know people have other time commitments and instead of accepting that you're wringing them out unless they play more, then you complain about why your player retention sucks... maybe treat your players a bit better and not like mindless overworked slaves.
My life is slipping away...
Addiction is a harsh drug...
I'm a bit disappointed with challenges that can be summed up as boring grindy RNG locks. Guess I won't play much this league.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info