[3.16] Enki's Archmage Hierophant - a beginner-friendly Lightning Caster

"
Sorenalike wrote:
"
AlvanJustice wrote:
Recently managed to hit 1.2M DPS on ball lightning, and can comfortably down A8 Sirius, uber elder with no deaths.

Seems like the bottom left mana and armor nodes, coupled with a mana recovery + armor/evasion belt goes well with the stubborn student cluster jewel suggested by oSrenalike. I've stopped dying in logbooks / maps ever since.

Also found that stacking cast speed & getting tailwind eventually allows us to cast ball lightning fast and move right after. After that we can then replace the Mindfulness jewel with clarity of purpose, since we wont be staying stationary anymore.

PB if anyone's interested: https://pastebin.com/3qQ9XzTN

Also, has anyone tried to push our ball lightning DPS beyond 5M? can't seem to push ball lightning dps beyond 2M no matter how i fiddle around with POB.

Hello
First of all i am glad i could help but you are missing some important info about your dps .. you can calculate your dps with the calculator that enki suggested (you are already doing over 10m dps i believe) and you are also missing some important check marks on your pob configuration for example exposure type mana spend onslaught if you got any power charges endurance charges and frenzy if you are using blood rage.

Your dps is not reliable without your arcanist brand and you can't have that dps all the time which will cause problems for you eventually please follow the tips below to increase your dps and make it reliable

1. get a large cluster jewel with disorienting display + corrosive elements and supercharge if you can't get supercharge try something else you dont have to have that

2. drop the jewel slot you got bott side of your talent tree and the mana+armor nodes you got at left side of your talent tree and get a medium cluster jewel with culling strike and unnerve huge dps boost (wish for death and master of fear )

3.spend any remaining talent points shock resistance next to your inner conviction and mana nodes you are missing

4. get this flask setup also you dont need life flask anymore

5.you are still missing immunity to silence .. make sure to have that on one of your cluster jewels or on one of your unique jewels (having corrupted blood immunity is a bonus)

6. you are missing helmet enchant like me ^^ arcane cloak spends 15% more additional mana

7. get curse on hit ring something similar to this

then you can drop whole arcanist brand setup (you will get exposure from cluster jewel i suggested) it opens up slot for builds like Vaal haste + increased duration and maybe sigil of power + increased area effect (vaal haste eats through anything tanky in a second)

8.if you wanna have fun clearing everything get anomalous orb of storms for extra two beams + awakened chain support for even more chains aaaaaand one of these gloves to make everything to explode..

you can apply multiple curses with whispers of doom anoint .. if you dont anoint it curse on hit on ring will apply only so no lose on that part and units will still explode and such (you can also use sniper mark for second curse if you like but i personally never liked extra casts like that)

8.i like the militant faith jewel but i prefer tempered mind personally for even more mana regen if you are struggling mind drinker is better than mana flows. remember your mana is your life and can't risk it to go lower than 50%

9. if you decided not to go asenath gloves i would recommend nexus gloves your gloves are fine as well tho

10.you need better helmet maybe something even better than this if you can pay for it

that -9 to lightning resistance or 12 if you can get upgraded version is huge dps boost

there are always more upgrades that can be done try these for now and good luck

Thanks for the advice. would definitely be looking to change some of these gears to the ones suggested. May i know where I can find the calculator tool to calculate DPS? Thanks!
Hello, i'm still working on my upgrades, and got recently a good large cluster jewel (disorienting display/prismatic heart/scintilling idea) really cheap with 2 small cluster (Mindfulness + Stubborn student).

I don't really want to sell my large to get one with Corrosive elements. (don't have much time to trade and i'm trying to keep currency for Asenath's gloves/watcher 10%)

If i keep it that way, it means that i must keep arcanist brand setup is that right ? And just get a ring with conductivity on hit ?

Am i good or all wrong in my reflexion :D ?
"
Tyrnet wrote:
Hello, i'm still working on my upgrades, and got recently a good large cluster jewel (disorienting display/prismatic heart/scintilling idea) really cheap with 2 small cluster (Mindfulness + Stubborn student).

I don't really want to sell my large to get one with Corrosive elements. (don't have much time to trade and i'm trying to keep currency for Asenath's gloves/watcher 10%)

If i keep it that way, it means that i must keep arcanist brand setup is that right ? And just get a ring with conductivity on hit ?

Am i good or all wrong in my reflexion :D ?

Hello yeah sadly you should keep it for exposure .. you dont have to have a large cluster with three notable .. one with two would do for now like disorienting display and corrosive elements would do

also gloves are just for clear dont put it on priority list
Last edited by Sorenalike on Aug 29, 2021, 5:37:34 PM
Little random hint on surviveability - fully upgrade your Brine King pantheon and never switch from it.

With 50% reduced aliments effect from ascendancy, passives from Annointed Flesh wheel and stun avoidance from tree it makes you basically immune to stun, freeze and chill.

You can get 5 divine vessels by vendoring 1 Divine Orb and any 5 flasks (flasks bought from vendor in act 1 will do, they cost 1 wisdom scroll each)

P.S. If you can spare 1 skill point it could be a good idea to grab 30% shock effect from Annointed Fleesh wheel. To mitigate shock effect to relatively harmless numbers
Last edited by HennekY on Aug 30, 2021, 4:27:00 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the guide, very nice for someone looking to play that archetype for the first time.
I do have a question though - why is all the (non-unique) recommended gear ES-based when The Agnostic keystone makes it 0 permanently? If it's just for ease of coloring, wouldn't AR/ES also work and at least provide some small additional benefit?
Last edited by Wendek on Aug 30, 2021, 8:19:58 AM
"
Wendek wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for the guide, very nice for someone looking to play that archetype for the first time.
I do have a question though - why is all the (non-unique) recommended gear ES-based when The Agnostic keystone makes it 0 permanently? If it's just for ease of coloring, wouldn't AR/ES also work and at least provide some small additional benefit?

Hello it sure does if you can find it ... also its not just coloring ( its really hard tho) but it also effects crafting thats why you usually can find caster rolls on ES items
Also you can't roll mana at all at pure Strength or pure Dexterity armor items. Unless you use Essence/or Aisling unveil ofc.
Last edited by HennekY on Aug 30, 2021, 10:33:49 AM
"
Zaron31116 wrote:
I was always a huge fan of the previous guide and glad to see that it's still going strong despite how many changes it has gone through in recent years. I wanted to leave this here for reference to help out. Ball lightning's aoe is alot bigger than you may think and it can hit up to 13 times, so getting certain aoe breakpoints can be a massive dps increase to get 1 extra hit per projectile.
Aoe Hits
18(default) 7
21 8
23 9
26 10
28 11
31 12
33 13

so if i have 33% AoE effect I can get 13 hits? Projectile speed has nothing to do with this?
Hello, I have started this build recently, can't say I'm a new player as I been playing the game on and off for a few years. So, I'm running red maps now and I have been getting one shot every few maps, and especially the expedition mobs are absolutely the worse thing in this game (literally my nemesis at this point really). Damage honestly feels great to an extent and I have been farming with orb of storms easily while using Ball Lightning for annoying mobs. However, survivability feels like an issue every now and then. For example, today I ran a Crusader Citadel Zana Map and I'm pretty sure it had no modifiers. There were 3 Unique bosses that rushed me down as I was spawning and I lost quite a lot of exp which was demoralizing, oh and I tried A5 Sirus and got one shoted 4 times during last phase as I was entering. Can't really get influenced items listed in the guide as they're way too expensive.

Would appreciate it if a more experienced player looked at my POB and give me some advice, maybe from the god himself? ;)

https://pastebin.com/07UifTMn
"
Crcsh wrote:
Would appreciate it if a more experienced player looked at my POB and give me some advice

You don't have agnostic picked on the tree on your PoB at least. Take it, it's the core of this build. No wonder you die often if you don't have it. You have enough mana regen to sustain it somewhat.

Reroll your mana flask. The reduced mana cost of skills is making you deal less damage.

You desperately need a watcher's eye with clarity causing 10% of damage to go to mana before life. They are somewhat expensive even if you aren't looking for one that has multiple useful mods: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Expedition/5e6YmTa (if you can't afford one, just make the other changes and get this later)

You should also grab a 2 node small armour cluster with Stubborn Student, and add it to your second slot in your large cluster. https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Expedition/z0LnWm2U4 This one is quite cheap, but adds a ton of armour for your character, making it more durable.

These changes would result in a tree like: https://pastebin.com/Aa9kC1gW which requires you to delevel your sniper's mark once or twice due to lost dexterity, but it's not an issue (sell the gem with scouring orb to vendor for -1 level iirc or was it regret? one delevels once, one resets to level 1). Now your build should feel far more tanky, and the changes are relatively cheap too. Removed points from bottom of the tree and some life nodes, added also Forethought and some mana/mana regen nodes to help boost mana regen levels for Agnostic.

Other things that could be useful: make sure arcane cloak is set to left click and consider trying to find immune to silence curse implicit in one of your jewels. It's nice to not get silenced. Tempered mind jewel is cheap, so getting it on that could be worth it: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Expedition/elJEwniL

Be also careful with that level 19+ Wave of conviction when you run phys reflect maps. It can kill you if you manage to hit some large pack with it. It's suggested to be left at level 1 since it's just used for the expose.

After that you'd be looking for more expensive upgrades, like Unnatural Instinct jewel and Stygian Vise with mana recovery rate. But each of those is multiple exalted orbs worth.
Last edited by Leimus on Aug 31, 2021, 2:16:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info