Remote Mine

"
Lotze wrote:
I played a lot with remote mine linked to EK lately. I think the easiest way to make this gem and mines in general more appealing would be to change the fact that mines get easily destroyed by any kind of aoe attack. Instead I think the mine schould detonate when hit. For me it doesn't make sense when a goatmen is jumping onto my mines and they simply collapse, it's a mine after all...

This exactly.
I forgot to add in my previous post.
Good catch
If you link Faster Casting to a Remote Mine does it affect the cast speed of Detonate?
Faster casting doesn't affect remote mine to my knowledge. However, just base cast speed from things like gear or passives will. I really wish the tooltip for detonate was actually correct though. Currently it just displays my attack speed, which I'm pretty sure is wrong for detonate.

On a related note, I also really agree that something needs to be done about AOE damage. Being destroyed and not used by a single AOE ability of any kind seems a bit much.
@Moylin (Beyond)
The power lies in using it with minions,like zombies. Give them change to ignite, life or damage. Combine that with 2 curses( like Flamebility or TC). Than use a lvl 1 skill like Arc to trigger EE and some extra chance of appling shock status. This will drop any boss on Merciless in seconds.

I tried this with my IR/IIQ build and works really good. Right now I'm remaking another witch to use this combo. Since IR/IIQ doesnt work on dot.
Last edited by tr4nznrg on Apr 22, 2013, 2:05:03 AM
I've been trying to come up with ways to make use of this nifty support, and the only theoretical use I can think of is burst damage. The first thing that came to mind was explosive arrow, which I figured could work quite nicely, as 5 stacks is the maximum for explosive arrow, and 50% more damage from the explosion seems like it would be plenty useful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but using a skill via remote mines would get around the elemental reflection issue, right?

Puncture seems like it would be good because you have 5 chances to crit with 50% more base damage. Then again, puncture is weak on bows anyway, so oh well.

I am assuming that it doesnt work with poison arrow's DoT, since nothing seems to work with DoTs.

Can it be used to raise zombies that deal more damage?

Firestorm seems like it would be good with the right build, since it can be supported by passives and gems to last around 2.25 seconds and deals very good damage to single targets with concentrated effect.

Edit: hey, wouldnt detonate dead be great with remote mine?
IGN: Iolar
Last edited by BRavich on Apr 22, 2013, 7:10:49 AM
"
BRavich wrote:

Can it be used to raise zombies that deal more damage?

Yes.
Last edited by tr4nznrg on Apr 22, 2013, 11:11:57 AM
I'm sure there is a another place for this but how do I lay mines?
Is it enough to have a skill gem or do I need to find mines as well?
What button is used to lay mines?
"
nynon wrote:
I'm sure there is a another place for this but how do I lay mines?
Is it enough to have a skill gem or do I need to find mines as well?
What button is used to lay mines?
the linked skill becomes the mine, use it as normal to place mine at your character location. then press d (be default) or another skill slotted version of detonate command, to blow all mines up.
I've discovered that not all casting speed modifiers applied to your character work properly with detonate. I'm not talking about support gems or any skill specific modifiers.

Passive nodes appear to be the only way to properly modify detonate's casting speed.

Casting speed that doesn't work:

Casting speed on gear does not work. For example, a dagger or staff that applies global casting speed to your character.

Casting speed from frenzy charges do not work.

In the two above cases, the casting speed of detonate reports being modified. However, it only affects the casting animation and actually hinders the detonate skill. Immediately after laying a mine, if you cast detonate as quickly as possible using casting speed from these sources, you will go through the animation but the mine will not detonate. It will require a second activation for the skill to signal properly.

This leads me to believe that these sources are intended to affect the casting speed of detonate, but the modifiers are currently only applying to the animation and not the actual code behind it.

If this is indeed a bug, and I believe it is, it's pretty game-breaking for an already difficult to use mechanic (to say the least). I had planned to use casting speed items and frenzy charges to give myself a hefty boost in casting speed. After setting it all, I noticed I was doing substantially worse, but figured my mines were being destroyed by AoE probably. I haven't tested this, but it seems like mines can even be interrupted while casting if destroyed, which would make sense given their implementation. In any case, I eventually noticed that I was indeed dropping my freeze mine and casting detonate in the same method I had successfully used before using frenzy charges, but this time they were not triggering. The bug is very easily reproducible.

I use detonate on the skill bar, not the extra button that pops up. As much as I'd love to use it, the popup button is too laggy and doesn't handle repeated input very well.

I love the concept behind mines and traps in PoE. I've never played a game that's made this ambitiously of an attempt, so I understand they are probably an implementation nightmare. I hope they receive a QoL patch before too long. :D
To me, it sounds like you just Detonate before the Mines are properly 'armed' (they are not active the second they hit the ground) due to the Cast Speed increases.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info