Shockwave Totem

Oh, I get it now. Thanks man!
Last edited by boneraiser on Nov 12, 2012, 3:45:09 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Milchut wrote:
So, just to make sure I understand things correctly, is this spell affected at all by things like the Knockback Distance cluster of passives over by the marauder side of the tree, increased area of effect/area damage passives, or even flat spell damage passives?
Yes
"
Milchut wrote:
Does Iron Will simply not work with it because Iron Will is supporting the spell that creates the totem, which deals no damage, while the totem casts its own spell?
No. As I explained on the previous page, Iron will doesn't apply because the shockwave, while cast as a spell so the totem can use it, does not deal spell damage, and does not benefit from any spell-specific stat increases.

ok, my summary: spelldamage work, but spelldamage dont work.

this is weird.
i dont understand the reason but thats maybe because im not native speaker

i read "spell" in the skillgemdescription and iron will dont work. i repeat its just weird or at least not noobfriendly.

i also think that this is a totally overnerfed skill.
it was an overpowered cookiecutter some month ago
now its more niche than every niche you can imagine.
iirc it was all done in one big nerf, right? thats weird again, instead of slowing the skill down step by step it was just destroyed.
Last edited by Khastro on Dec 9, 2012, 2:35:45 PM
"
Khastro wrote:

Iron Will (and other sources of %Spell Damage) are not *flat* bonuses; Added Lightning Damage support gem is an example of flat damage. I don't think there are passives with flat Spell damage though...? I only recall percentage-bonuses.

I do agree it's somewhat confusing to have it listed as a Spell, but not benefit from normally-applicable bonuses, unlike for example Ethereal Knives.
"
Khastro wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Milchut wrote:
So, just to make sure I understand things correctly, is this spell affected at all by things like the Knockback Distance cluster of passives over by the marauder side of the tree, increased area of effect/area damage passives, or even flat spell damage passives?
Yes
"
Milchut wrote:
Does Iron Will simply not work with it because Iron Will is supporting the spell that creates the totem, which deals no damage, while the totem casts its own spell?
No. As I explained on the previous page, Iron will doesn't apply because the shockwave, while cast as a spell so the totem can use it, does not deal spell damage, and does not benefit from any spell-specific stat increases.

There is no "flat spell damage", so on reading "flat", I mistakenly assuemed you were talking about flat damage increases, such as the added lightning damage support, which do apply (because they are not specific to spells). I missed the extra word spell in that sentence.

"
Khastro wrote:
this is weird.
i dont understand the reason but thats maybe because im not native speaker

i read "spell" in the skillgemdescription and iron will dont work. i repeat its just weird or at least not noobfriendly.
Summoning the totem is a spell, but does no do damage. Once summoned, the totem uses a skill which does damage but is not a spell. At no point is spell damage being dealt.
This is exactly the same as with Zombies - Raise Zombie is a spell that you cast, but the zombies are not dealing spell damage (they deal unarmed attack damage).

The skill you use is a spell, so has the spell tag on the gem. But that's not what deals damage.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Dec 9, 2012, 7:29:51 PM
SO stupid question, for this skill in particular or other totems do they pick up +minion damage or +minion health affixes?
MCAussie MCServer. MCWin.
totems are not minions, so neither of those two.
I'm trying to make a shockwave spec with some other AOE skills. This totem really needs to increase it's range with AOE. It should have the same potential attack range as projectile totems, or at very least just slightly better than currently. Without it this totem becomes more of a troll spell instead of useful one. I suspect that totems have their range entered and system is not going to be changed much, but maybe at least a workaround could make the spell change to a different one with slightly higher range when radius is increased by >= 20%.

With something like hatred + added fire + added chaos with faster casting and AOE nodes I can make it work really well but it's just too unreliable. I have to cast it very close to enemy and he quickly gets knocked back from range. In certain situations it will make melee tanks like bears not able to come close at all. However, I could do a double firestorm or fireball totem instead and (omitting the fact of making game unplayable with fps drop) I would kill stuff instead of just knocking it back.
Last edited by globbi on Jan 7, 2013, 10:55:27 AM
based on player feedback, seems only thing holding shockwave totem is its detection range. the AoE size is actually fine, often larger than detection due to passives people pick.
Well Kripparrian is building a dual Shockwave Totem build with Remote Mine Explosive Arrow to support it.

He estimated the damage at 100k or something crazy after factoring in supports/gear (+gem lvl)/quality/gem level/passives, pretty much everything.

Looks like this skill isn't as nerfed as some have said recently! We'll see, will be interesting to watch.
|____________ G . L . O . W . Y . R . M ____________|
< My PoE career highlight, Being beat by Throzz, hehe >
||||||\\\\\~ http://tinyurl.com/2ndPlaceToThrozz ~/////||||||

"
Glowyrm wrote:
Well Kripparrian is building a dual Shockwave Totem build with Remote Mine Explosive Arrow to support it.

He estimated the damage at 100k or something crazy after factoring in supports/gear (+gem lvl)/quality/gem level/passives, pretty much everything.

Looks like this skill isn't as nerfed as some have said recently! We'll see, will be interesting to watch.
that dps listing sounds like entirely from the 5 mine stacks of explosive arrow, not the totems which just bounce mobs around.... if in range.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info