What is An Open World Game?

"
BearCares wrote:
Cyberpunk's world has NO depth at all outside of the main campeign.

Neither has Skyrim. Or Fallout. Or Oblivion. They are all pretty shallow games set in an open world. It's obvious you're letting your dissapointment of the game affect you definition of an "open word game". Call it bad, call it crap, call it whatever - but it's still an open world game. A shallow open world game? Maybe. A lacking open world game? Arguably. But still an open world game.

Take GTA for instance: NO depth, NO character development, NO skills, NO real 'progression'. Still an open world game. You're putting too much into your own, personal definition of an "open world game", when the definition is in fact VERY simple.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
BearCares wrote:
Cyberpunk's world has NO depth at all outside of the main campeign.

Neither has Skyrim. Or Fallout. Or Oblivion. They are all pretty shallow games set in an open world. It's obvious you're letting your dissapointment of the game affect you definition of an "open word game". Call it bad, call it crap, call it whatever - but it's still an open world game. A shallow open world game? Maybe. A lacking open world game? Arguably. But still an open world game.

Take GTA for instance: NO depth, NO character development, NO skills, NO real 'progression'. Still an open world game. You're putting too much into your own, personal definition of an "open world game", when the definition is in fact VERY simple.

Skyrim/Oblivion/Fallout have more depth because the NPC's have a 24 hour schedule while CP NPCs poof in and out of existence. Also you can intereact with NPCs by stealing from them - thanks to their persistence. See you can't steal in CP because none of them are persistent so the devs were afraid of the prospect of people infinitely stealing from all the infinite supply of made up NPCs

You see the power to steal is a choice that has consequences that persist over the course of a game. Something CP just says "nope" to.

But what really shows that you are on the wrong page here is what you just said about GTA. GTA San Andreas had a system where if you eat fast food your character gets fat and if you exercise a lot he gets skinny or buff - plus hair cuts and bunch of choices you could make that CP doesn't offer. I mean and that's just the tip of the iceberg I really can't get into how wrong you are about GTA. I think you buy houses in that game too or something.

There is a youtube series that's called GTA V is better than Cyberpunk or something like that. It's astonishing.
Last edited by BearCares on Jan 11, 2021, 9:09:45 PM
"
BearCares wrote:
There is a youtube series that's called GTA V is better than Cyberpunk or something like that. It's astonishing.

And this shows that your definition of an "open world game" is still being fueled by your own, personal view of what game is "the better one". "Open world" isn't a metric based on quality. Never has been, never will.

Why is growing fat from fast food more "deep" than getting better at shooting the more you shoot? Hell, there are open world games out there without NPC's. There are open world games out there without humans.

A crap song is still a song. A crap, shallow open world, is still an open world. It's not any less of an open world, just because there are better, more immersive open world out there. Does it make it a worse game? Sure. Does it make the open world worse? Yes. But it's still an open world.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
BearCares wrote:

And this shows that your definition of an "open world game" is still being fueled by your own, personal view of what game is "the better one". "Open world" isn't a metric based on quality. Never has been, never will.

You got it backwards. I wasn't saying that GTA is a better open world because it was a better game than cyberpunk. I was saying that GTA was a better game than cyber punk BECAUSE it was a better open world. Which is a fair thing to say in my opinion but maybe not yours and that's okay.
"
I wasn't saying that GTA is a better open world because it was a better game than cyberpunk. I was saying that GTA was a better game than cyber punk BECAUSE it was a better open world.

Which is a bold-faced lie. Cyberpunk has everything GTA has with added RPG elements. So while you might believe that GTA is a better game overall it is not a better open world.
"
BearCares wrote:
You got it backwards. I wasn't saying that GTA is a better open world because it was a better game than cyberpunk. I was saying that GTA was a better game than cyber punk BECAUSE it was a better open world. Which is a fair thing to say in my opinion but maybe not yours and that's okay.

In this debate, it doesn't matter what game or world you or I find better. We shouldn't be talking about quality at all, be that the game as a whole or the world. Quality is irrelevant here.

But since you ask: Do I find the world of CP2077 good/immersive/lively? No, I don't. It's the best MAP ever created, but FAR from the best world and I was really disappointed. But the world of GTA is also placed FAR down on my list. None of them even come close to the best open worlds seen in video games.

But again, that is all irrelevant, as even if both games suck, they are both still open world games.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
"
I wasn't saying that GTA is a better open world because it was a better game than cyberpunk. I was saying that GTA was a better game than cyber punk BECAUSE it was a better open world.

Which is a bold-faced lie. Cyberpunk has everything GTA has with added RPG elements. So while you might believe that GTA is a better game overall it is not a better open world.

That is factually incorrect lol. Cyberpunk does not have everything GTA does. It simply does not. And the fact that you haven't noticed what it lacks vs GTA and other games explains your misguided willingness to defend it.

I'm sorry but it's just factually incorrect to say that CP has the same features as GTA. GTA has a vibrant interactive world. CP's 'open world' is essentially used as a neon ray traced loading screen between missions. Because there is nothing to do but bee line from one mission to the next. You're open world is just a loading screen exile.
"
BearCares wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
"

That is factually incorrect lol. Cyberpunk does not have everything GTA does. It simply does not. And the fact that you haven't noticed what it lacks vs GTA and other games explains your misguided willingness to defend it.

I'm sorry but it's just factually incorrect to say that CP has the same features as GTA. GTA has a vibrant interactive world. CP's 'open world' is essentially used as a neon ray traced loading screen between missions. Because there is nothing to do but bee line from one mission to the next. You're open world is just a loading screen exile.

You are offering no counterarguments whatsoever. Vibrant world is NOT a requirement for a game to be open world. Freedom is. Minecraft is an open world, isn't it? Where are those vibrant NPCs living some nice quality life? Nowhere.

Its always the same over and over with you but I am not surprised considering a) you repeat the same arguments; b) you don't even know what open world is.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

You are offering no counterarguments whatsoever. Vibrant world is NOT a requirement for a game to be open world. Freedom is. Minecraft is an open world, isn't it? Where are those vibrant NPCs living some nice quality life? Nowhere.

Its always the same over and over with you but I am not surprised considering a) you repeat the same arguments; b) you don't even know what open world is.

I think at this point the burden of proof is on you to prove that cyberpunk has the same features as GTA. And for you to compare Minecraft's open world to nightcity is also laughable. I don't even know where to begin to point out all the differences. If you don't recognize them already I just say enjoy Cyberpunk. But I won't.
There can be an open world adventure, an open world FPS, an open world third person shooter, etc. Open world does not only apply for RPGs. GTA itself is NOT an RPG. So you already admitted that the term encompasses more than a single genre. A game, where you get dropped on an island and have to survive, is still an open world even without a single friendly NPC.

Far as GTA and Cyberpunk are concerned - you do missions inside a large city ripe with crime. You can drive and steal cars, purchase weapons and armor. When it comes to broad strokes the games are identical enough without taking into account the RPG elements like skill and dialogue trees, something GTA does not have.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info