What is An Open World Game?

"
lolozori wrote:
I guess OP really cares.

Of course I care. I love videogames. I've been playing Witcher 3 then going into Cyberpunk and then back to Witcher 3 because the differences between these games are fascinating.

I can't move away from my hypothesis - that the real purpose of Cyberpunk was to create a tech demo so CDR could license Red Engine. The quest structure in Cyberpunk is just a pure devolution from Witcher 3. And it's not because they forgot how to make games. It's because they poured their resources and time into tech not the game itself.

If I didn't respect CDPR so much I wouldn't care. But I feel like as their company got more succesful they allowed money men/women to push them into this direction which is the opposite of what Larien has done with their Baldur's Gate.

Who's in the stronger position now, Larien or CDPR? Funnily enough - it's firmly CDPR - this engine... Red engine... is going to make them billions.

I mean look at this shit

They will tell licensee's... people still loved our buggy mess of a cyberpunk because the engine was so good! And they would really have a strong point with that sales pitch
"
BearCares wrote:
"
lolozori wrote:
I guess OP really cares.

Of course I care. I love videogames. I've been playing Witcher 3 then going into Cyberpunk and then back to Witcher 3 because the differences between these games are fascinating.

I can't move away from my hypothesis - that the real purpose of Cyberpunk was to create a tech demo so CDR could license Red Engine. ...

I mean look at this shit..

They will tell licensee's... people still loved our buggy mess of a cyberpunk because the engine was so good! And they would really have a strong point with that sales pitch

I must bow to your experience as I do not have it with Red Engine.

But, I also have to say that the hilarious "blooper" reals coming out of the creative minds of youtubers and inflamed by this "Red Engine Game" don't flatter that engine a whole lot. (The lack of water physics I saw in some clips is pretty dangerous to flirt with - Engine makers loves them some water physics demos...)

UE5 is on the way... Red Engine can attempt to compete, but it will fail. That's five iterations of constant work and working in cooperation with hardware companies as well as big software developers. They've multiplied their strength because they've had proven results. Results make money.

Red Engine will have to rely on reducing the costs for developers with deeper and deeper cuts when compared to UE5. And, it may not be suitable for as many game genres, too. (Like UE was at first.) That means some are going to be looking at Unity instead of either UE5 or some possible Red Engine release. Either way, though, Red Engine can't compete on proven performance or capability, yet, so it has to choose the least favorable marketing strategy any business can choose - Price point. (Or, here, contractual royalties/margin.)

IF they did something dramatic, like partnering with Epic to release an engine with licensing agreements like Valve's Source, et al, engines for exclusive licensing/listing... Well, that would be good leverage, but it would also put Red Engine in a possibly unfavorable pocket dimension. :)

If I'm making a game, what do I go with? An engine with a proven track record and oodles of support or... The New Kid? It is, after all, my money that's going to be spent and my costs that are going to be incurred. Who do I call for API support when the engine coughs up blood? Will they answer the phone while my project is stalled? Pretty big considerations when one has to pick someone and something to rely on to feed them.

If I was a game dev, I wouldn't choose Red Engine on a bet unless they massaged me something very, very, fierce and gave me a hugely favorable margin with excellent support.
Last edited by Morkonan on Jan 6, 2021, 10:10:13 PM
"
I love how this is literally the last place on my regular internet even talking about Cyberpunk anymore (which of course this thread is, despite morkonan's delightful but very in-character inability to read the room, giving it far more dignity than it deserves) because you're not allowed to talk about anything else going on. Not a slight on said restrictions -- my approval of them was immediate and remains ongoing. Just an observation that in the absence of significant controversy, people's jimmies will just get all rustled about insignificant ones.

But eh, one look at General Discussion probably confirms that. Or any given Announcement thread.

You do realize that the lack of nearby entertainment opportunities not fully occupied by unibrow mouth-breathing idiots and the barren wilderness lying unfilled of even marginally decent reading material would drive most people deep into the melancholic realm of navelgazing... right?

There was some kind of "binge" festival of Marvel movies on this past weekend. Some channel paid bajillions of monies for all the Marvel movies and showed them, back to back. On purpose. For... reasons.

I watched it. Them. The movies an' stuff. Friggin four hours each when filled with commercial breaks.

Do you know how many times my brain was subjected to the most horrible slope-headed drivel that television advertising can produce? Evidently, commercial PTSD is real. In my mind's eye, some drug company is still trying to tell me how to cure exzema and menstrual cramps at the same time. Or something like that. (You guys don't have that kind of advertising plague, I don't think. 'Murica!)

Somewhere along the line, my brain BSD'd and I woke up in the middle of a different movie. Ever done that? It's a friggin' hoot! And, the funniest thing was that it didn't matter to the story being told at all. Not. One. Bit. Some people are woefully overpaid.

So, yeah, I took the shot. ;) Who cares about the room when there's an ideal audience sitting somewhere under the keyboard? Or, behind one's own eyeballs...
But companies know that playing CDPR off of Epic Games is better for them in the long run. CDPR from what my hypothesis states is eager to get into the licensing biz, so they are going to put their best foot forward to try to convince companies to give them a try. It's not like they just open up an online shop and let companies decide to buy it or not. They send out evangelists who are going to be cutting very competitive offers that are going to be hard to refuse for people out there who are under budget contraints - (ie everyone).

Don't get me wrong I love Unreal Engine. That's my bae. But CDPR could still make billions from Red. It's clearly the best or second best in terms of rendering for video games that I am aware of at least. Unreal probably has much better usability. But you know what, because Red's workflow and compatibily are still in a fluid state possibly, that opens up teh possibilty for them to tailor make their product to the customer's wishes - so that could be a plus for some people.
"
Morkonan wrote:

...the barren wilderness lying unfilled of even marginally decent reading material would drive most people deep into the melancholic realm of navelgazing... right?

At a friend's behest, I'm reading Capote's 'In Cold Blood' for the first time. It's not really considered a 'classic' outside of America, and oh is it ever a very American 'non-fiction novel'. Beautiful prose, chilling topic. And I've a long list of equally deserving reading material sitting here, long-neglected in poor favour of both games and their associated meta-distractions. This one especially.

As for the MCU, eh, I have the lot on BD or 4k. Whatever glistening standards I might have for literature and TV shows (to the point where I think the acme of the latter at least flirts with the upper stratum of the former, including comic book-inspired TV shows), they're almost perfectly inverted in my taste for trashy but flashy movies. (flashy meaning 'sharpish dialogue and compelling plot beats driving one fight to the next. So that leaves out pretty much every DCU movie).

If I'm reading right, what you said boils down to 'I have nothing better to do'...which is poppycock. :)

...Hm, better say something on-topic. Guild Wars 2, my current re-addiction, is most definitely open world.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
from time to time i´m watching a bit of Kruggsmash
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czsA51NQNmI),
Dwarf Fortress was missing in the compare list, i guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
I do think open world games can have quests and side missions as they are a viable way to explore and interact with the world. Besides this I agree with your point that open world games should have persistent and permanent outcomes for player actions. But overall the term for the genre is pretty vague and open to interpretation by players and developers.
Pac Man is an open world !
test
"
.. This one especially.

I have nothing worth reading at the moment that I haven't already read ten times. (Not counting a physics book that follows me with its eyes when I pass by its shelf. If I don't look, though, is it even there?)

Might have to look at Capote. Never read his work, but have read bits and pieces. A very strange person. :)

"
...If I'm reading right, what you said boils down to 'I have nothing better to do'...which is poppycock. :)

The universe is full of worthwhile choices. That does not mean they must all be made.

"
...Hm, better say something on-topic. Guild Wars 2, my current re-addiction, is most definitely open world.

I'm about to start Crusader Kings II for the very first time. The horde of little murdering pin-headed fetal alcohol syndrome genetic freaks I'm about to unleash upon the world will be... glorious.

And, that brings up an interesting perspective for peeps to ponder:

Does "Open World" only apply to games focused primarily on a single player-character?

Is a "4X" an "Open World?"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info