Wolcen Hype Release!

"
gandhar0 wrote:
From the latest patch notes preview.

"Spells and Attacks will scale the same way: using the base damage of the currently equipped weapon.
Damage of summons will also scale based on your weapon damage
"

Going full D3 approach for spells but at least summons are now viable to some extent.

Lazy-ass game design. =9[.]9=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
gandhar0 wrote:

"Spells and Attacks will scale the same way: using the base damage of the currently equipped weapon.
"

Going full D3 approach for spells but at least summons are now viable to some extent.

Maybe, but still substantially better than the current design.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
gandhar0 wrote:

"

Maybe, but still substantially better than the current design.

Everything is relative, I s'pose. It was that "design choice" which finally helped me to decide not to play D3; I found the notion of basing spell damage on an equipped weapon simply nonsensical. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Read the OP's post, then skip ahead to the more modern posts on the thread.

Very funny to see the initial hype, followed by the let-down.

There were trolls on the Path of Exile Steam forums saying "RIP Path of Exile, Wolcen is the new ARPG king!"

Now, tumbleweeds. LOL
"
Raycheetah wrote:

Everything is relative, I s'pose. It was that "design choice" which finally helped me to decide not to play D3; I found the notion of basing spell damage on an equipped weapon simply nonsensical. ='[.]'=

I mean it's not terrible in the grand scheme. Is adding/ having caster affixes (like spell damage) really groundbreaking?

I suppose they could have been a bit more creative and added some conversions from the base weapon damage to specific element spell damage, but doing so wouldnt balance against base attack damage, and would need to with other balance (passive or gear)

All in all this isn't a big deal. Could it be better? Sure? Tell that to the GGG devs as well with Harvest.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Jul 31, 2020, 9:42:04 AM
did the bugs fix for anyone else? i have just been disappointed OVER AND OVER AGAIN with this. Any suggestions for a similar better game??
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:

I mean it's not terrible in the grand scheme. Is adding/ having caster affixes (like spell damage) really groundbreaking?

I suppose they could have been a bit more creative and added some conversions from the base weapon damage to specific element spell damage, but doing so wouldnt balance against base attack damage, and would need to with other balance (passive or gear)

All in all this isn't a big deal. Could it be better? Sure? Tell that to the GGG devs as well with Harvest.

Needing a bigger axe to cast better spells strikes me as counter-intuitive. As for Harvest, I'm playing Standard, and having a lot of fun, instead. =^[.]^=
Maybe, but mechanically it's not really different than needing spell casting modifiers on your weapon. It just heavily reduces the amount of different but actually exactly the same items there are in the game, which is PoE's current problem.
"
j33bus wrote:
Maybe, but mechanically it's not really different than needing spell casting modifiers on your weapon. It just heavily reduces the amount of different but actually exactly the same items there are in the game, which is PoE's current problem.

Ironically one of the things I like least about Wolcen makes this change to weapon-based damage for spells almost make sense. In D3, you weren't restricted by item skill-wise: indeed, you could equip a 2 handed sword and suddenly your magic did more damage. Genuinely silly.

But Wolcen changed from alpha to beta in one really crappy way: you can not cast spells with 2 handed anything equipped unless it's a staff, with very few unique exceptions. So in that light, tying spell damage to weapon makes at least a little more sense than it did in D3. I still don't agree with it but I didn't agree with them tying spell availability to certain equipment either, so two wrongs make 30% of a right, or something.

The issue gets thornier with catalyst off-handers, because then your sword or axe actually does influence your spell damage. Then you're 100% in Diablo 3 territory. OTOH at least Wolcen doesn't have dual-wielding crossbows (anymore) so there's that I guess.

I'm happy to give the game a go again after one patch or another. After all, I paid a tiny sum once and that was it. I have absolutely nothing to lose either way. As opposed to free to play games designed to hook you for regular financial support, where you always have something else to lose.

But these guys are fucking dreaming if they think they're even vaguely ready to take on a league model. They can barely release a functional version of the core game.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
AdamMiller wrote:
did the bugs fix for anyone else? i have just been disappointed OVER AND OVER AGAIN with this. Any suggestions for a similar better game??

There's a game called "Path of Exile". It's pretty good; you should try it sometimes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info