Wolcen Hype Release!

Why is this thread still a thing here? Wolcen has long since launched, the hype marketing period is passed. Shouldn't you people have moved on to happily playing your new game and discussing it on its forums and left this other games' forum for those of us who aren't into it? What's the point coming here to complain about how we're behaving when its you guys who're in the wrong space?
"
Exile009 wrote:
Why is this thread still a thing here? Wolcen has long since launched, the hype marketing period is passed. Shouldn't you people have moved on to happily playing your new game and discussing it on its forums and left this other games' forum for those of us who aren't into it? What's the point coming here to complain about how we're behaving when its you guys who're in the wrong space?

Its exists because people still want to talk about it. Essentially the entire point of a forum in general.

Of course you posting in a thread, complaining about the posts in the thread, that you think shouldn't even be here, is mildly amusing.

I think its always good advice to not tell fellow forum goers what to post, when, and where. It's just not very effective, and tends to make that person appear ridiculous.

We already have enough absurdity on GD with Kopogero threads.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 8, 2020, 11:33:51 AM
Alt: you can just turn them off manually.

__

So curiously, the beta was a LOT easier than the release, because we got 2 passive points per level there. So at level 20, you were essentially level 40 in terms of passives. This naturally changes when you start to do the GW1 thing and face enemies well beyond your level via expeditions, but it was a lot easier to rush to 20 in 'Soldier of Fortune' mode (what would later become Champion of Stormfall) than it is to get to 20 in CoS from scratch.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 8, 2020, 12:24:11 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:

Its exists because people still want to talk about it. Essentially the entire point of a forum in general.

Of course you posting in a thread, complaining about the posts in the thread, that you think shouldn't even be here, is mildly amusing.

I think its always good advice to not tell fellow forum goers what to post, when, and where. It's just not very effective, and tends to make that person appear ridiculous.

We already have enough absurdity on GD with Kopogero threads.

You're telling me you don't love those threads? I wake up every morning in hopes for more toilet material to read. Of course I'm completely joking, I know the internet is not a good place to make jokes lol.

*Edit*
Oh my lmao, I saw the most recent thread and saw Shags got Probation, and Exile009. I guess that's why he came on this thread to get some of that anger out.
Last edited by ZACHWILDCAT on Mar 8, 2020, 4:29:03 PM
bought it, played it. something like 75 hours ?

meh.

had my fun with it, but really its visually a complete d3 clone (and I mean, I remember calling out the UI and stylistics, but I didnt realize the whole style would be so lifted)

a buggy mess too even if played offline (I didnt bother playing online).

I am willing to tolerate bugs and even game-breaking ones if a game offers an influx of ideas. VtM Bloodlines is one of my fav games of all time, and it had tons of bugs when released.

in wolcen, very few ideas that are fresh. the rage/willpower is a great idea. it's something that was briefly explored in d3, in embryo stage. wolcen takes it to whole another level. still, most builds try to not balance but just do only rage or only willpower, but again, I love the idea.

other than that, not much there. uniques aren't that interesting (I don't mind if they're not powerful), stats are pretty boring.

plus complete inability of devs to develop an interesting and choice-driven system to differentiate between builds. Im not even going to go on how amateur-ish damage scaling and tree is, streamers already covered it. but what is the point of rerolling a new toon ? just take old toon, level up skill you want and you got a build.

endgame system is a mix of rift/maps and mobile game gold sink.

I don't think its worth 40 bucks even if its patched up. I had my fun, but this isnt in realm of d2 or poe as far as complexity or interesting systems.
The amount of willpower required to level new characters in the face of an easily respecced passive system is beyond many younger, less happy-to-immerse ARPG players, that's for sure. But for veterans who dig the transmog system and like the flexibility of each skill's set of modifiers, the room for altaholism far exceeds the six character limit for online play. Far.

__

The fact that on-hit damage and ailment damage are 100% separate means it should be fairly easy to bring on-hit damage up to par with ailment, because right now ailments are ruling the roost. Especially now that Primordial Insights works. Cabalist is far and away the most powerful class on the wheel, to the point where I am rarely not traversing it regardless of build. Oh well, early days.

__

I cannot imagine going back to an ARPG that forces you to play through its story every time you want to make a new character. It's like going through the same 12 years at the same school with the same people, only with a different skillset or attitude each time. Piss on that. D3 provided Adventure Mode because Blizzard knew their story was...mediocre, or at the very least not something they wanted players having to tolerate repeatedly. To each their own. Let this be a standard going forward, however, for ARPGs in general. Please.

PoE doesn't have that. It has no plans to have it. We've been calling for another means to level characters outside of the marathon 10 acts forever. A separate 7 act means is not what any of us had in mind. That's just another slog to choose. Poe '2' will be as boring and ignored and PoE '1' within weeks. I guarantee it. Nature of the beast.

And it just plain makes sense: the core of the ARPG is replayability. The distilled experience of kill-loot-upgrade-kill. D3 has Adventure mode; Wolcen has Champion of Stormfall. PoE has...Hillock. The Warden. Merveil. Oak. Piety. Piety. Piety. Dominus...etc. Every. damn. time.

And this is coming from me, someone who savours story, lore, plot, all that. But I also don't reread the same book every few weeks, no matter how fucking good that book is, because that's not how stories work, not even great ones. They don't get better the more you read them. They just inevitably get...old.

Which is all to say, a linear story mode? Great for an introduction and to set up this world you're going to be playing in. A lot. But NOT the ideal way to experience said world over and again. If anything, it can make that world seem stale and limited. I still feel bad when people call PoE's sprawling ten act monstrosity 'a tutorial', because no tutorial should fucking cover 60-65 levels of a character's development, but I get why they do it. Because in a lot of MP games, the story/campaign is essentially a tutorial. Unfortunately, PoE took all its cues from D2, a game made well before that was the case. Back when running the same 5 acts in 3 difficulties with each character felt...normal.

It hasn't felt normal for ages since then. I imagine GGG would have loved to introduce something like Adventure Mode at some point, but of course they're stuck in the development loop of allocating a bulk of their resources to the next league, leaving far too little to develop genuinely meaningful additions to the game. Which is sad, because the Mapping system? An excellent start for a levelling stream outside of the story. OH WELL.

__

I found a grey dye that's almost white. Almost.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 8, 2020, 10:04:25 PM
^I don't particularly understand this criticism, PoE takes roughly between 4-6 hours to rush a character to endgame from zero.

And similar to wolcen it doesn't demand this since you can simply use regret orbs if thats not your thing.

Getting to endgame is literally half or one third the time it takes to get at a similar stage in wolcen.

Or are we pretending that four different lay-outs with the same quests is the variety that beats out a story arc that has constant different assets being introduced with a gradual scaling factor?

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
So while ailment damage is clearly eclipsing on-hit for now, its bane is monster generators. They can't be affected by ailments, and chances are an ailment build has taken the +ailment/-on-hit damage passives. So there you are, putting down champions and elders with no real effort, but you hit Lambach spawners like a saturated noodle. And those things have a lot of health...
I actually dont mind leveling in poe at all. I go at a slower pace and explore new league content, either experimenting with new skills or play the build I want to play from the get-go. if anything, many new skills and/or content provide different enough experience, it feels organic. plus, you get to see your character grow slowly in power, yet making more choices and substantial improvements to growth.

like in d3, thered be no point to roll two different monks, there isnt any point in rolling anymore toons once you have all skills maxed out in wolcen...
Leveling in PoE is horrible and they don't address the main problems. Is it really necessary to complete all trails (apart from the uber ones) every damn time a new league starts when they never change? Why some instance layouts are objectively worse than the lab itself, like most of the overly convoluted annoying to navigate full of dead ends belly layouts? Why there are zones with distinct lack of waypoints such as mine 1+2+crystal whatever? Why so many quest items must be picked up instead of being automatically transferred to your inventory/dropped on the ground? Why they keep the drop rate of good low level rares so low when they are essentially worthless once you reach maps and will not do anything to the market? Why in the fuck are some zones still so slow to unlock such as the pyramid apex and its exit?

And so on. They could have made leveling better but they don't for some reason.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info