I just quit my job tonight. Cold, no plans.

I havent done that since I was like 16. Definitely never as an adult. So I dunno how I feel.

Backstory as to why. My granddad passed away Thursday. I was my granddad's caregiver. I've been taking care of him everyday for 6 years; doctor visits, meds, VA visits, hospital stays, baths, you name it. He lived with me. I'd lived with him for 10, but he didnt get into bad health until 6 years ago. Anyways, Sunday he was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. Basically everywhere. I told work Sunday night I was gonna need leave soon because I believe this was the end. Well, doctors gave him a couple weeks to live. So, I applied for FLMA to be at home with him his final days. Well, Tuesday he got worse, got moved to hospice hospital. I called work to apply for FLMA. It got denied becuase he was my grandfather. I spent all day calling back and forth to HR people trying to get a personal leave of absence.

HR manager said he would talk to my main boss and tell him the situation and call me back. Well, they never did. Thursday morning we were told he had days to live now; not weeks. Still nothing. I'm still waiting on this call, not even the supervisor answers later when I call in, since I had to call in both these days he was in the hospice hospital.

Well, he actually didnt have days, he had hours. He died 4 hours after the doctor told us days. I got so mad. I spent my last 2 days worrying about this crappy little job and how I can get 2 weeks off to take care of him, and it didnt even matter. They never even called me back to tell me one way or the other.

Well, I talk to my supervisor the next day, at the funeral home since I sent him a text asking about bereavement if I dont even get a personal leave. He said he was in the meeting when I got that text, trying to plead my case about the leave. The higher ups were never gonna tell me anything. They werent gonna give me a leave. Told him to stop getting personally involved and not to talk to me about a leave either. But once they hear he died, they must have felt bad about it because now they gonna send me a fruit basket and give me bereavement pay.

It just flew all over me. You got 2 guys taking a leave of absence to Mexico for 22 days for no reason and all they need to justify it is a paper saying the crossed the border, and I cant have ANY time to take care of a man in his last days who was basically my child at that point.

So I quit. I dunno if I overreacted or what, but I did it. I couldnt see myself going back into that place. It was a dangerous, manual labor job. I only was there because I couldn't take on more responsiblities at the time. I have a Bachelor's degree I'm not even using. I actually graduated the same month his issues started 6 years ago; I told my family I would be the one to take care of him since I just got a degree, and had no career while they all did. He wasn't supposed to live 6 months, but it turned into 6 years, lol. I'm sure I didnt do my career prospects any favors, and I worked some poor jobs along the way when he was really going to all the doctors and such, but whats done is done.

I dunno how I feel about quitting. I needed to move on. I'm wasting an education, but I quit at Christmas with nothing lined up. I probably have half a year of earnings in savings, so I'm not worried, and no job is beneath me, so I'm not worried about not getting something soon. I'm gonna of course look for better jobs first before I go that route again, but still. Its weird to just quit a place, but I felt like that kind of place, or those kinds of people just arent worth working for. That kind of treatment on that specific situation(he only dies once) just seemed terrible to me.

Anyways, I just felt like venting. Its been a rough week. Thanks for reading if you did.
Last bumped on Jan 14, 2020, 5:24:45 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Good luck, I left my last job 18 months ago, took 5 weeks off to figure out what to do and found my current job which has been much less stressful.

Take your time and reflect.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Very sorry about your loss. Now that you are no longer responsible for looking after your grandfather, you will at least have that much more time and energy to put toward sorting out your life going forward. As one door closes, another opens. Best of all good luck to you. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Love how they let you sweat and worry and agonize over piddly shit that they never intended to yield on, while you were actually at bedside vigil with a dying loved one. Your last chance to be with your gramps and make him comfortable, and nope they had to jerk your chain over a few days off and play head games.

They can get fucked up, down, sideways, and around the corner.

For what it's worth, that chapter is closed. Healing begins. Grandpa's at peace, get out of debt, don't take any shit off of anyone.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
I may be a random stranger but you have my sincere sympathy and respect (for what it's worth). People like you make this world a better place. Unlike those suits (as the song says there is low life in high places).
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
Sorry for your loss.

Also You made good decision. Right now dont rush into looking anthing especially right now. End of the year is creay period and no good companies are hiring right now (only shit with staffing problems). Just give Yourself some time and allow Yourself to be sad to grieve and - i know that might sound weird but - relax. My mother died in 2015 because cancer but she fought for over 5 years. After The End we all felt kinda... felief. I dont know if Your situation is similar but i think it can be.

Allow be weak for Yourself for some time. You have right to it.
Regards.

PS. Dont worry about job.
Stay strong exile.

Sorry for your loss.
Oh boy, this is why i hate those corporates at the top. Sorry for your loss.

Some people just don't care about others at all, no matter what happens to them. But karma is strong my friend and i know you will find better job.
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3
Last edited by Farystar on Dec 18, 2019, 7:49:28 PM
"
Farystar wrote:
Oh boy, this is why i hate those corporates at the top. Sorry for your loss.

Some people just don't care about others at all, no matter what happens to them. But karma is strong my friend and i know you will find better job.

Those "top corporates" know how karma works thats why they dont do things they command someone else to actually do what they want. Because in the end what we DO matter the most.
Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, I've took this week to just recollect and take a breather, and we had a lot of estate things to deal with and get sorted out.

I'm sure I'll have another job soon. I mean in the end, it was not my career. It was a mill job. I just cant see myself making a career at a place like that or for people like that.

I'm sure my granddad is happy I quit; he hated me at that job. Always told me these companies dont give a shit about you so dont base your life around them. And he was right.

On a related note, since he was so frugal. He had already paid for his own cremation cause he hates spectacles and stuff, so he didnt want a memorial. He always said if he knew when he was gonna die, he would just drive over there and save the transfer fee, lol. Anyways, on his papers he said he wanted put in a cardboard box.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info