3.9| DEADITOR |Elemental Hit w/ Ballista Totem Support| Use Any Gear! (Need a Big Investment Though)

"
Saevan wrote:
As mentioned in a previous comment getting the cruel lab is a huge boost to the build as you level. I ended up with a lot of damage nodes over defense which also helped but left me pretty squishy. With the addition of deadeye I feel I can start filling in more health and evasion.

Regarding the bow, I'm using a Quill Rain and I haven't found anything yet that beats it, based on the tool tip. So, how reliable is the tool tip?

Thanks for the build.
Hey Saevan!

Ah, the Quil Rain. Good times :). You bring up a good point reminding everyone not to forget about the value of their ascendancy nodes. Ascending in this build gives lots of damage (and defence (like you said)).

Thanks for the post! And thanks for the Thanks too!
https://www.ForeverExiled.com/: Forever Exiled, A Path of Exile Podcast

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
"
Swdan wrote:
unlikely. this one is very squishy and very low on dps
Hey Swdan!

The 3.8 version of this build had no problem with the Shaper battle. I haven't taken the 3.9 version to endgame yet though. Even though the 4 ballistas do more damage than firing solo (like the 3.8 version did), it'd likely be a little slower to complete the battle as the ballistas won't always be firing at the same targets.

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
"
Copyfarm wrote:
at lvl 83 im struggling. this build does not work as advertised "From League Start 2 End", in fact the only end im about to experience is my joy. With almost 4k life and 5 socket totems with a 330 ele dps bow sadly I feel very weak and struggle on simple mid tier maps if they are even mildly challenging.

If the bosses do more than average damage the totems have very short uptime, making you a sitting duck or should I say aimlessly panicking duck, avoiding damage and trying to keep totems up. Far from the "stress-free" experience I was hoping for.

And before you say the totem gameplay just isn't for me, I've tried almost every totem build (ancestral warchief, spell totem etc) and I was excited for yet another one but big flop for me.
Hey Copyfarm!

Thanks for the honest response. Not all totem builds play the same, but definitely don't play anything that doesn't interest you. I agree that EH and Ballista Totem Support should be stronger against bosses.

I saw that you put lots of offence on your gear. The one thing I'd suggest for you though, and only if you're still interested in the build, is replacing your bow. Your bow doesn't suit EH well. The Ele DPS you're referring to doesn't properly reflect on EH because EH can only hit with one element at a time. It cannot damage with multiple elements in one shot. So when you have a bow that adds fire, cold, and lightning damage, it'll only apply the fire mod when EH chooses to shoot the fire element, the added cold only applies when cold is chosen, etc.. So even if those rolls are great, they are only impacting "33%" of your shots...per se. You want mods that apply to every shot.

In the gear section, I list which mods are helpful for this build. (I'll make a note about "added damage" in there.) Crit chance, crit damage, and attack speed are huge on a bow for this bulid.

Anyway, just in case you were interested, I think finding a more EH friendly bow would change lots for you.

Annnnnd

"
ardye wrote:
Ballista Support gem seems to be too weak..

40% less dmg & 50% less speed.... hard to cover the dps gap.

IMHO, GGG should redesign this gem.

I am trying to swap BS --》GMP for clearing map
I agree ardye!

The Ballista Totem Support should be valuable with 3 totems active. It current needs 4 to have any value.

Annnnnd

"
SamothD wrote:
Spoiler
I hope it's OK if I chime in again - for those who don't know, I got inspired by the old thread (non-ballista bow EH) and some uniques I had been wanting to try for a while, and I have stuck to that build.

I have meanwhile made it through the Uber Lab (on the first attempt, yay!) and rearranged the skilltree to its final form. Level 87 and rebuilding my Atlas progression right now - the highest I tried before was Tier 8, and it was really stressfree.

Despite the slight nerf, EH "self-shot" seems to be pretty much as viable as before; I have definitely seen some increased freeze/shock/burn effects. Freezing bosses for even half a second can be very valuable, especially for an evasion-based character.

DPS calculation seems to have changed a lot, though. I have switched to Death's Harp for the time being - attacks a bit slower and displays slightly lower tooltip DPS than The Tempest, but feels better because the additional arrow helps with clear and the high crit chance (+ lower ailment threshold) is good against hard single enemies (map bosses, syndicate, etc), especially in combination with a crit flask.

I decided to skip the ballista change because totems isn't really my preferred play style, but tbh I had some doubts as well.

Running a curse aura is fine when you get relatively close - for example if you play bow with Point Blank. However, with totems, doesn't it make more sense - figuratively speaking - to put a totem in the door and stand back, using a defensive aura (and maybe manual cursing) instead?

Besides, I think Assassin's Mark makes less sense when your totems do the work because the life/mana gain does not benefit you, or is it really enough to keep the totems up and prevent them from getting destroyed too soon? Especially since they attack rather slowly, thus not triggering the life/mana regain and chance to get a power charge all too often, or does that work better than I imagine?

Anyway, since those ballistas seem to be pretty weak, I also wonder whether it would make sense to use them as a utility rather than for DPS? For example, how about the following strategy:
- You use Burning Arrow ballistas to trigger EE and make enemies vulnerable to cold
- You add Curse on Hit to apply a Frostbite curse to enemies
- You add Blind Support to blind them
...and then you happily DPS yourself with Ice Shot against enemies that are blinded and extremely vulnerable to cold?
Something like that. Of course, that's no longer a 1-click build. :/ It could be tried out using largely the same skilltree, though - only a bow that does some good physical DPS might be better.

Myself, I'm currently pondering using the good old Siege Ballista instead. I noticed you can now put up several of these as well, and they do 100-145% of base damage, so that might help.
Great post SamothD!

Chime in as much as you like. You bring up lots of good points and I like the changes that you've made for sure. It's nice to see what you're doing.

I use Assassin's Mark as an aura just so that I have more damage against enemies that are closer to me. It's more for defence than it is for survivability. It's for the crit perks, that's all.

All your ideas sound awesome though. And if people aren't married to the ease of one-button play, they wouldn't be a bad idea to try out.

I appreciate the post!

Annnnnd

"
Rehv wrote:
Hey :)

I'm using your build to test ballistas, what's your opinion about this node?

As feedback, the build feels slow (and squishy). I've been using rain of arrows and eventually scourge arrow to clear faster. Deadeye really helps, and ofc if you rush the ranger nodes you'll cover for it a bit but end up a bit more squishy. If you have good gear to level, it isn't that much of a problem... I was playing "kinda" ssf till maps, probably the worst decision of my life.

All that said, the build is okay, the totem was overnerfed considering mobs got a buff and it's not anybody's fault except GGG's (nice bow league, lulz)

Thanks!
Hey Rehv!

I like Forces of Nature a lot. But it didn't make the cut in terms of "DPS per node". I focused a lot on Crit chance and damage. The path to Longshot beat it out. That being said though, it's still a great cluster. And really strong too.

I appreciate the honest answer. I found Acts 1 and 2 were really rough. Once I got to level 30 (partway through act 3) I found it to go much better. I agree that both EH and BTS are a little too weak. But it just means the build is a little more dependant on a good bow/better gear. It does make the beginning of the game rough though.

Thanks for the honest feedback. Did you get to fully ascend?

Annnnnd

"
I've played using this guide through this league, hit my wanted 24 challenge (and tier 13 maps, lev 87) now I'm done, a few words.
I swapped to ele hit after cruel lab as it was completely pointless before that, it was really fun to play afterwards, I melted everything till tier 10 maps, problems came after tier 10 bcuz metamorphs and bosses were dying way too slow. This build really falls off late game (or maybe it simply requires much more currency to shine, my gear was max 1.5 ex, didnt want to spend more). In my opinion ballista totem support gem is way too underpowered and it really need a buff, my ballistas also sometimes were destroyed faster than I can put them (way too low hp on ballistas), trash packs died instantly, bosses - not really tho I completely destroyed conquerors (at least till red tier where it was taking too long to my taste). I had like 5k hp 55% evasion 45% dodge 30% spell dodge + sand stance gem for blind and it was enough most of the time, otherwise I'd get one shot anyway ^^. Blood rage was useless as we do not leech, clarity not needed if we get like 50% mana regen on ring or smthing, assassins mark was questionable, we dont kill and dont rly get charges, my ele hit was at 74% crit chance anyway. Gameplay was mostly running clockwise around the boss putting ballistas, sometimes dying to metamorph ground dot. tldr overall fun, but don't think its reliable enough to carry into tier +16.
//if someone is struggling I recommend to try out self cast frost wall (it can block projectiles) and frost bomb (reduces monster hp regen, extremely useful for metamorphs and essence monsters).
Thanks for the honest reply Devaryth!

Ya, the 3.9 changes to EH and Ballista Totem Support make this build quite dependant on a good bow (crit chance & damage, attack speed...) then I'd like. I agree with you on that for sure. But at the same time, with the increase to boss defences, it should need a really good weapon to be able to take down T16s...or at least that GGG's intent.

Blood Rage is just for attack speed as Ballistas fire really slow.
Assassin's Mark's intent is to simply do more damage to us enemies that are close to us. It's defensive in that regards. But it's used only for the crit perks.

I actually play that clockwise method with a few of my builds so the idea of running around during battle doesn't really phase me...which is also why I didn't invest in totem life.

Awesome suggestions with Frost Wall and Frost Bomb. Great ideas. I really appreciate the post! Do you gem swap LMP? Where are you with the Atlas right now?

Annnnnd

"
Dunuin wrote:
Cwdt isn't linkable with summon ice golem nor blood rage...
Hey Dunuin!

I'm not sure I know what you mean, CwDT casts spells and both golems and Blood Rage are spells. I use it lots on my characters. What seems to be the issue? If you describe your issue in more detail, I'll see what I can do to help you out.

Annnnnd

"
Ya, this build doesn't hit bosses very hard. Survivability is good but bosses are tough. This build is dependant on a good weapon to kill bosses quickly. I'll be updating that info in the guide in time now that I've hit maps and am seeing what the build is like.

I wound up rolling another character to try building something that doesn't feel so weak against bosses. This entire league is essentially a bossing league with the Metamorphs being such a heavy focus, and with how relatively weak Ballistas feel it might be the wrong league to try this build out.

If the weapon is such a major focus, maybe I just need a better explanation of what makes a good bow with regards to the EH skill? The build guide says "whatever bow you like" and that's obviously a way to [unintentionally!] severely restrict what your character can do, so it might be helpful to expand this section a bit.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on progression as you work your way into maps and face more Metamorphs. It's entirely possible I'm missing something obvious in how I play the character, so I'm not writing it off quite yet.
Spoiler
"
"
I've played using this guide through this league, hit my wanted 24 challenge (and tier 13 maps, lev 87) now I'm done, a few words.
I swapped to ele hit after cruel lab as it was completely pointless before that, it was really fun to play afterwards, I melted everything till tier 10 maps, problems came after tier 10 bcuz metamorphs and bosses were dying way too slow. This build really falls off late game (or maybe it simply requires much more currency to shine, my gear was max 1.5 ex, didnt want to spend more). In my opinion ballista totem support gem is way too underpowered and it really need a buff, my ballistas also sometimes were destroyed faster than I can put them (way too low hp on ballistas), trash packs died instantly, bosses - not really tho I completely destroyed conquerors (at least till red tier where it was taking too long to my taste). I had like 5k hp 55% evasion 45% dodge 30% spell dodge + sand stance gem for blind and it was enough most of the time, otherwise I'd get one shot anyway ^^. Blood rage was useless as we do not leech, clarity not needed if we get like 50% mana regen on ring or smthing, assassins mark was questionable, we dont kill and dont rly get charges, my ele hit was at 74% crit chance anyway. Gameplay was mostly running clockwise around the boss putting ballistas, sometimes dying to metamorph ground dot. tldr overall fun, but don't think its reliable enough to carry into tier +16.
//if someone is struggling I recommend to try out self cast frost wall (it can block projectiles) and frost bomb (reduces monster hp regen, extremely useful for metamorphs and essence monsters).
Thanks for the honest reply Devaryth!

Ya, the 3.9 changes to EH and Ballista Totem Support make this build quite dependant on a good bow (crit chance & damage, attack speed...) then I'd like. I agree with you on that for sure. But at the same time, with the increase to boss defences, it should need a really good weapon to be able to take down T16s...or at least that GGG's intent.

Blood Rage is just for attack speed as Ballistas fire really slow.
Assassin's Mark's intent is to simply do more damage to us enemies that are close to us. It's defensive in that regards. But it's used only for the crit perks.

I actually play that clockwise method with a few of my builds so the idea of running around during battle doesn't really phase me...which is also why I didn't invest in totem life.

Awesome suggestions with Frost Wall and Frost Bomb. Great ideas. I really appreciate the post! Do you gem swap LMP? Where are you with the Atlas right now?

I was using lmp through majority of my playthrough, swapping to faster attacks only for conquerors, at tier 11 maps i swapped permamently to faster attacks to get a little more dmg, I've reached tier ~12 maps (2/3 watchstones for area) when I hit 24 challenges.
Was thinking about getting 6l thicket elder (or simply 6l thicket ilvl 86+ or harbinger bow) and fossil craft serrated+prismatic (or just prismatic) to get +1 to arrow on bow (or quiver, so lmp would be pointless) or +2 to bow gems/+1 to gems. Which made me wondering - why not using lv 4 empower as 6th link?
Also - ele reflects maps are possible, its just that ballistas die after 1 hit, but we put lots of them anyway.
I dont understand how you can run blood rage on that build. I cant imagine spamming life flasks just to sustain that skill.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info