[3.17] Wallach's Hierophant Freezing Pulse Totems (No Further Updates)

Haven't had a chance to play a ton, but I am really enjoying the build. Managed to snag this shield today though and was quite stoked.

"
Ubermonster wrote:
Haven't had a chance to play a ton, but I am really enjoying the build. Managed to snag this shield today though and was quite stoked.

you dropped this? or bought ? this is worth quite alot
"
rezzet wrote:
"
Ubermonster wrote:

you dropped this? or bought ? this is worth quite alot

Honest story. I snagged it off a live search. I thought it looked really good, but didn't realize it was worth so much till my buddy price checked it after I linked it to him.
"
volibowers wrote:
"
added cold 21 is fairly cheap because of awakened version.

I would recommend buying an awakened added cold asap, max level adds +1 to supported cold gems so it's a massive boost to FP dps.

Based on calculation in POB the awakened gems are not really worth it. So for example with my gear with the dreamcrafted wand here in the POB build /attached on first page 3.9 POB link/, I would have 1.41 mil buffed damage per totem (in reality I have 1.28 mil buffed with my real wand). Changing my lvl 20/20 added cold to awakened (1/20) would give me 1.43 mil, so its practically +1% dmg for 6 ex...
If you buy lvl5 awakened cold dmg support for 15-20 ex that is a boost to 1.6 mil dmg. (+13% dmg)
I dont use onslaught flask now, if I add it, that is also gives me ~10% dmg boost...

Leveling up the awakened from lvl 1 is a pain, best way is, you should be very successful in Juns safehouses with Tora (cpt) on research to craft 400 mil exp to the gem each time. (qual 20 gem of course)
For a 13-14% dmg boost its not worth it, except if you really want to max out the gear and nothing to do with your pile of ex.

But going from pre endgame gear to endgame gear is much more fruitful. Before atziri shield+coward belt+ench helmet and tree changes I had 0.7 mil per totem. 20ex+tree changes gave me 82% dmg boost! That is something. Mostly coming from the Pain attunement passive which is 30% more spell dmg! (not increased!)
Hey guys,

I bought most of my gear last couple of days. Thanks for the advice and gear examples as they were really helpful.

Ended up with the below:

Spoiler

Just saving up for flasks and jewels now. Hopefully should be ready in a couple of days.

I take your point Fred with regards to the Awakened Cold support. The entirety of my gear was under 7ex, the wand being 30c which I was quite happy with and the rest usually bought white and then had a few essences / fossils thrown at them! So spending 7ex on a single un-leveled support is pretty much a non-starter for me. I doubt I will get to the point of affording a Reflection either but then I'm not looking to go super hard on the Awakener or even max level conqueror's. I'll try to get a few regions with 4 watchstones but that's probably about it! I'm fairly casual! XD
What about 2x nebulis scepters? Are the cold dmg buff based from max cold resist worth it if say i have 75+10% cold resist? Or to be more accurate, how much res over 75 i need in order for it to be worth it over a rare scepter?

Also thinking about taryns shiver scepter as a "budget weapon", thoughts?

(All replies are welcome)

Can you help me out here? I die a lot. What can I Improve?
I'm totaly confused about the levels of the skill gems. Some are at max level, others not. Some of you level them to max lvl, even the ones that aren't level at cap by the threadstarter.

Can someone pls write a final list with all the lvl and quality a gem should have at the end? Would be really pleased, pls :)

Primary damage links in order of priority:

Freezing Pulse (lvl 21/23%) -> Awakened Controlled Destruction (?/?) -> Hypothermia (lvl?/20%) -> Awakened Added Cold Damage (?/?) -> Awakened Cold Penetration (?/?) -> Empower (lvl 4)

Offensive support 4-link:

Freezing Pulse (?/?) -> Awakened Curse on Hit (?/?) -> Projectile Weakness (?/?) -> Frostbite (?/?)

Frost Bomb (?/?) -> Awakened Spell Cascade (?/?) -> Arcane Surge (?/?) -> Increased Duration (?/?)

Projectile Weakness (?/?) -> Arcane Surge -> Increased Duration (? / ?) -> Spell Cascade

Utility support 4-link:

Steelskin -> Cast When Damage Taken (lvl 17? / ?%) -> Increased Duration (lvl 8? / 20%?) -> (Your Choice,Vaal Righteous Fire (max lvl))

Movement support 3-link:

Flame Dash (?/?) -> Increased Duration (?/?) -> Arcane Surge (?/?)

Damage support 3-link:

Cold Snap (lvl 7/ % ?) -> Cast When Damage Taken (lvl 1/? %) -> Bonechill (lvl 19/ % ?)

Last edited by Firderis on Jan 1, 2020, 12:04:18 PM
"
HardSide wrote:

Can you help me out here? I die a lot. What can I Improve?

Get boots with more life. Drop essence worm for a ring with life/mana. Drop that totem damage jewel for a jewel with life.
"
Firderis wrote:
I'm totaly confused about the levels of the skill gems. Some are at max level, others not. Some of you level them to max lvl, even the ones that aren't level at cap by the threadstarter.

Can someone pls write a final list with all the lvl and quality a gem should have at the end? Would be really pleased, pls :)

I would just go by the skillgem setup that Wallach details in the OP. There are two sections, the early to midgame section is what I would follow unless you are using all the new Awakened supports. You have linked the "Endgame" jewel setup which I wouldn't follow early on. Go with the Early to Mid-game setup instead.

General rule of thumb would be to always level to 20/20 unless there is a good reason not to.

The few things that don't need to be 20/20 IMO would be:

1. The CWDT + Steelskin + Inc Duration. Wallach recommends a CWDT of 17 & a Steelskin of 19. I don't think either of these really need quality but it doesn't hurt. Inc Duration should be 20/20.

2. Your Projectile weakness should be 20/20 if you have the dex to have it that high. Otherwise whatever level you can get it to. It should have 20% quality ideally. If you are using Frostbite instead then it should be 20/20.

3. Your CWDT + Cold Snap + Bonechill. CWDT should be level one so it procs frequently. Your Cold Snap should 7/20. Level 7 is the max that a level 1 CWDT can trigger. Bonechill should be 20/20.

A few gems really benefit from being 21/20 or 21/23. This would be Freezing Pulse as a priority and then Added Cold as also a nice-to-have.

Awakened gems are completely different in that they only level to level 5 (although could be corrupted to level 6 if you have massive balls or don't care about Std at all) but can have 20% quality. They tend to be very expensive so Wallach goes over the setup for them in the "endgame gem" portion of his guide.

I hope that is somewhat helpful to you. I'm sure if I have gotten anything wrong somebody will correct me. I'm only lvl 86 having just switched to Freeze Pulse totems (from HFT) today.

Edit: I would look to get rid of those Nomic Storm boots ASAP. I think they make you take 15% More damage from all Sources if you have full ES. That's kinda like being a Beserker without the benefit of the more damage!
Last edited by DrHarvey12 on Jan 1, 2020, 12:18:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info