[3.17] Wallach's Hierophant Freezing Pulse Totems (No Further Updates)

Seriously I dont know what you mean. I never had problem at all with him, didnt even know, there were some stages, only bubble.
"
fryderyknicze wrote:
Seriously I dont know what you mean. I never had problem at all with him, didnt even know, there were some stages, only bubble.

The Drox I've fought doesn't make a sphere at all, the map is filled to the brim with totem/banners that make him practically more invulnerable than Superman. You wast 5 minutes to destroy a single banner just to nip at his points and then he fills the whole maps with them back again while killing you in a single shot despite being in the other corner of the map.

I had to die 6 times and waste over 20 minutes to make him lost a quarter of his hit-points and I was perfectly able to kill 4 Watchstone Stones Al-Henzaim in less than half that time and attempts.

I'm starting to doubt this build is ever used past yellow maps.
Last edited by ArionAthreides on Sep 11, 2020, 12:27:42 PM
"

You wast 5 minutes to destroy a single banner

What's your dps like? Sounds low.

It's been a little while since I've done it with a totem build, but from what I recall the time/difficulty of Drox dropped exponentially with greater dps. If it's taking you that long to kill a banner, I'd say your damage is too low for this fight. Once you can kill the banners quickly, you can also kill Drox quickly.
"
"
fryderyknicze wrote:

The Drox I've fought doesn't make a sphere at all, the map is filled to the brim with totem/banners that make him practically more invulnerable than Superman. You wast 5 minutes to destroy a single banner just to nip at his points and then he fills the whole maps with them back again while killing you in a single shot despite being in the other corner of the map.

I had to die 6 times and waste over 20 minutes to make him lost a quarter of his hit-points and I was perfectly able to kill 4 Watchstone Stones Al-Henzaim in less than half that time and attempts.

I'm starting to doubt this build is ever used past yellow maps.

Something definitely sounds amiss with your damage. While the standard budget version of this build doesn't have great single target DPS, it definitely shouldn't be so bad that you are struggling to that extent. Do you think you could make your characters public in your profile so that your Hierophant could be imported into PoB? It's hard to help without being able to see your character to identify any issues.

"
exilekami wrote:
U gonna update this for 3.12?

I'm not sure if I am going to league start with this build in Heist, but I should at least have time to do some basic updates. I haven't gotten the impression from what has been teased thus far that any massive updates are going to be needed, even if some of the details wind up changing due to alternate quality gems, curse changes, replica uniques, etc. The general setup of this build should remain intact unless the manifesto throws us a real curve ball.
"
"

You wast 5 minutes to destroy a single banner

What's your dps like? Sounds low.

50000 - 120000, or at least so say the Freezing Pulse Button.
Yesterday I defeated 4 Stone Baran without even dying once, Veritiana too, so far only Drox is so hard for me.

"
Wallach wrote:
Do you think you could make your characters public in your profile so that your Hierophant could be imported into PoB? It's hard to help without being able to see your character to identify any issues.

My character has been set public in the forum, is there anything else I should do in order to make them visible?
Last edited by ArionAthreides on Sep 12, 2020, 3:39:08 PM
With the PoB for this guide, if I want to try a different skill with totems, say the new crackling lance, I would still follow the same path more or less and just pick up the lightning damage nodes instead of the cold?

If I league start totems next league, I might try one of the new skills with totems, crackling lance, blazing salvo, or maybe the reworked firestorm or glacial cascade.
What do you think about other skills than freezing pulse? i want to start totems as league starter, but not 100% sure about freezing pulse.
I;m going to transition to this build from a shockwave totem build, because the shockwaves aren't, uh, intense enough I guess visually.

Is there a end-game min-maxed build link I can nab? I want to try it on t-16s. (for leaguestart next league)

"Bonus points if it is Scion/Witch because they have nice knees. Ranger has ugly knees and other characters are men so playing them would be homoerotic." - CAKE, 10/20/21
Last edited by darciaz on Sep 12, 2020, 6:49:51 PM
"
My character has been set public in the forum, is there anything else I should do in order to make them visible?

No, that is all that was needed, thanks.

Taking a quick look over your character, your main issue right now seems to be your rare gear pieces. In particular your wand is pretty light on effective damage overall for where you are at in progression, but I think most of your rare pieces could stand to be upgraded. I'd say in order of priority of slots you should be considering:

Weapons - These two slots are generally your biggest damage contribution slots, so having weak pieces here (particularly your shield) are costing you quite a lot of potential damage. If you aren't able to get a +1 to maximum totems Shaper shield, I would highly consider instead using a second wand to ensure this item slot is contributing as much as it can to your build. We have enough other rare slots to push some of these defensive considerations to.

Flask - The Foreboding mana flask should be tossed out for a Wise Oak. Try to keep your uncapped resistances in mind when changing out any of the rare pieces so that your Cold will be highest so you can utilize Wise Oak offensively (don't forget you can Blessed Orb your Kikazarus to lower your uncapped Lightning resist if need be).

Amulet - this is one of the higher damage capable slots after your weapon slots, so your amulet only having a low critical multiplier roll is costing you a lot of potential damage.

Boots - Not a damage heavy slot, but your current boots actually offer almost nothing to your build at the moment (even defensively), so some of that pressure you currently feel to get resists in slots like your amulet or shield is coming from this slot not doing work. Try to find a much more defensive piece here (life and resistances mostly) so that you can more easily get the above two slots into higher damage pieces.

Helmet - Not quite as much of an issue as your boots slot since it is carrying some resists, but really only Chaos resistance and isn't offering you any life. While a helm enchant would be nice, I think it's secondary to just improving the defensive stats here (again so we can get more mobility to get higher damage pieces in our offensive slots).

Gloves - These are actually okay, and while it would be a clear upgrade to get a similar looking set of Puhuarte gloves, it's something that can wait until all of the above slots are improved.

Belt - Probably your best rare slot item, and other than the life roll not being great is a pretty strong piece. Don't touch this until all of the above pieces have changed.

Aside from your gear I don't think there are a ton of things you'd really need to adjust. Obviously grabbing a 21/20 Freezing Pulse would be a nice bump, but I'd probably do that after your rare gear is in a better place. I would recommend that you reset your Cold Snap's CWDT back to level 1, and find a lower level Cold Snap so that you can more frequently access that damage gain. Cold Snap's level doesn't really matter much in this context because we're using it to debuff enemies with the Bonechill support gem when it triggers. A level 1 CWDT can support up to a level 7 Cold Snap, which is as high as I would level that gem.

You could also probably get a small amount of damage shifting the points out of Mental Rapidity to finish your Doom Cast notable line. Either take the 3-point line until you hit 92 and respec after, or steal the floating 5% life node behind Cruel Preparation and just replace that after you hit 92. But this is a minor improvement relative to your rare gear changes.

"
darciaz wrote:
I;m going to transition to this build from a shockwave totem build, because the shockwaves aren't, uh, intense enough I guess visually.

Is there a end-game min-maxed build link I can nab? I want to try it on t-16s. (for leaguestart next league)

I didn't play a lot this league so I don't have one for myself this time, but there seem to be some pretty good examples at poe.ninja to browse through. Just select Hierophant, filter for Freezing Pulse and sort by DPS. Some of these are going to be on the glass cannon side, but you'll see a variety of setups in the top end to glean from. This one struck me as a pretty good example of a straightforward high-end example (though I think even this setup probably would have benefited from some tweaks, like adding a Cold Conduction medium cluster).

"
kkskssk wrote:
What do you think about other skills than freezing pulse? i want to start totems as league starter, but not 100% sure about freezing pulse.

Well, I wrote this guide because I felt Freezing Pulse was such a good totem skill, so I'm sure I'm biased in some regard. That said, I think Divine Ire and Shockwave Totem both look like pretty strong totem skills in the current game, and Glacial Cascade may regain some use in 3.12. As far as pure league start efficiency is concerned, Shockwave Totem is pretty much off the table due to the reliance on Astral Projector, so if I were going to consider a totem league start with what I know right now it would probably only be between Freezing Pulse and Divine Ire.

"
With the PoB for this guide, if I want to try a different skill with totems, say the new crackling lance, I would still follow the same path more or less and just pick up the lightning damage nodes instead of the cold?

If I league start totems next league, I might try one of the new skills with totems, crackling lance, blazing salvo, or maybe the reworked firestorm or glacial cascade.

It's a little hard to say without seeing the new gems myself, but in theory it should be a fine baseline. Adjustments will need to be made for the individual skill's mechanics, obviously - anything that needs to scale area of effect is going to have slightly different priorities, and a skill like Glacial Cascade is going to need consideration to the fact that it will absolutely want to be running Hatred from the jump rather than only after you get something like Atziri's Reflection (Hatred is far too effective for a conversion skill like Glacial Cascade to put off until later). Beyond that I can't really speak to the effectiveness of something like Crackling Lance as a spell totem; I am pretty sure the "collapsing beam" effect is not going to function when linked to a totem, so it will functionally be more like a spammable lightning cone skill that lives in a similar usage lane to Freezing Pulse. Blazing Salvo I think is going to require both the gem and some in-game testing to see how totems get on with the targeting, as it does look like a skill that benefits from more deliberate spacing than you might get out of a totem.
"
Wallach wrote:
"

No, that is all that was needed, thanks.

Taking a quick look over your character, your main issue right now seems to be your rare gear pieces.

Those are the best rare pieces I could afford. I'm not even sure how to get a better one. It took me the whole league of harvesting to even manage to get to this point after various attempts at crafting using Seeds. I don't even have a single idea on how to get the shaper item. I'vent yet manage to get a Tier 4 seed or get a Items that will be able to put Shaper effect on one and an influence Orb cost as much as 180 Chaos ... my riches amount to 2 Exalt and a little less than 700 Chaos

And what do you mean by weak? How I figure something is Weak or Not? The Archon Shield is the strongest Tier of STR/INT shield. Puharte? I saved all the funny looking influenced items I found so far but those have way worse stats so what makes this Puharte stuff better for me? I should use them for a base for rerolling? I've checked guided after guide but none talk about it.

The mana flask is here because I have not yet found a Wise Oak so far and I found myself in someplace where I could not regen mana while trying to do the Unrevealed Maps Challenge.

Could you explain the whole cold snap better? CWDT?

Sorry for harassing you with questions but this is my first venture on this game and sometimes so I'm really a newbie here.
Last edited by ArionAthreides on Sep 13, 2020, 3:04:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info